Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Entry 2017 Chat/Enquiry

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Just that most grads who do honours get in compared to people who apply without honours, not sure how true this is though

I don't actually know what the ratio of honours and non-honours are in medicine but don't do honours for the sake of GPA. This is particularly the case for those who already have competitive grades. I am fairly sure there is no significant causal relationship between the two anyway. In my opinion, it's a dangerous thought to think that doing honours would increase your chance. This would only work if you somehow managed to get very good grades in honours - I don't know who said honours is easy but this sure is far away from the truth. It's a different ball game. It's harder. It's less predictable. It's different from what you have been doing.

As Ruth said, it really is more important to think about your employment prospects. It's a hard life outside of university. You don't want to end up being like some applicants who put zero input back-up plans during their undergraduate study and have nothing to fall back on.

That being said, if you are genuinely interested, there is nothing stopping you from trying it out. Honours is generally a good programme to take if you have the opportunity.

Putting it out there...
Here is my current status...

Graduate entry (currently in my last semester, Bsc Biomed, UoA)
Cumulative GPA (all 3 years so far): 7.667
2nd year GPA (excluding Stage I summer school papers): 8.17
2nd year GPA (including Stage I summer school papers): 7.75
3rd year GPA (Summer school + Sem 1): 8
Last 2 years GPA (so far): 8.085

UMAT - 141 raw score
Sec 1 =46 raw score
Sec 2 =39 raw score
Sec 3 =56 raw score

Please give me a reality check of my chances of getting into Medicine for both Uoa and Otago. I'm really down about my UMAT results. Second time doing it and not that much better than the first time.

Never applied for Medicine before

I hope you all are going well

Grape

Trainee Intern
Putting it out there...

UMAT - 141 raw score
Sec 1 =46 raw score
Sec 2 =39 raw score
Sec 3 =56 raw score

Please give me a reality check of my chances of getting into Medicine for both Uoa and Otago. I'm really down about my UMAT results. Second time doing it and not that much better than the first time.

Hey!

I think this is like my third time doing UMAT, and I didn't improve much either, so I Know how you feel!

I think for Auckland you might have a chance. Your GPA is pretty good, although your UMAT is probably lower than the average. Remember UMAT only counts for 15%. Also the interview is worth 25% so you should shift your attention to the interview. Don't think too much of your UMAT there are people who are in medicine with lower UMAT scores! As you haven't applied for Auckland you have two chances to apply! So i think you're in a good position :)

As for Otago, they use your percentile marks for each section not raw scores. Your section 1 and 3 will be above the 25%ile threshold, but I'm not sure about your Section 2 Percentile. The percentile threshold does change from year to year so I think you should apply anyway. If it doesn't work out this year there is always next year! Your GPA seems to be on track so just focus on your UMAT for next year.

Stuart will probably be able to give you more info :)

Hope this helps :) I think you have a chance, don't be discouraged!! You're in a better position than others, even me!

Last edited:
Hey!

I think this is like my third time doing UMAT, and I didn't improve much either, so I Know how you feel!

I think for Auckland you might have a chance. Your GPA is pretty good, although your UMAT is probably lower than the average. Remember UMAT only counts for 15%. Also the interview is worth 25% so you should shift your attention to the interview. Don't think too much of your UMAT there are people who are in medicine with lower UMAT scores! As you haven't applied for Auckland you have two chances to apply! So i think you're in a good position :)

As for Otago, they use your percentile marks for each section not raw scores. Your section 1 and 3 will be above the 25%ile threshold, but I'm not sure about your Section 2 Percentile. The percentile threshold does change from year to year so I think you should apply anyway. If it doesn't work out this year there is always next year! Your GPA seems to be on track so just focus on your UMAT for next year.

Stuart will probably be able to give you more info :)

Hope this helps :) I think you have a chance, don't be discouraged!! You're in a better position than others, even me!

Thanks Grape, I guess I do have to look on the bright side of still having 2 options in UoA

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Putting it out there...

UMAT - 141 raw score
Sec 1 =46 raw score
Sec 2 =39 raw score
Sec 3 =56 raw score

Hi littlehelper,

Firstly of all, can you confirm whether the five GPA scores you shared are counting the best 120 points (per year)?

Your GPA is competitive which is always good, well done for that. Your chance at Otago is looking a little bit slim based on your UMAT Section 2 scores. As Grape has said, you would need to hope the UMAT threshold will be low this year. As for Auckland, you still have a shot for sure. You will need to shine at the interview and you should be fine.

Hi littlehelper,

Firstly of all, can you confirm whether the five GPA scores you shared are counting the best 120 points (per year)?

Your GPA is competitive which is always good, well done for that. Your chance at Otago is looking a little bit slim based on your UMAT Section 2 scores. As Grape has said, you would need to hope the UMAT threshold will be low this year. As for Auckland, you still have a shot for sure. You will need to shine at the interview and you should be fine.

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your perspective, I highly value all the opinions I receive.
To answer ur Q, yes, all 5 of the given GPA were best 120 points.

The reason to the differences between the 2 2nd year GPA scores I have given is that Stage I summer school papers, which I took 2, are not counted under UoA rules. I took 4x 15 point graded papers in Sem 1 of 2nd year and 2 x 15 point graded papers plus 1 x 15 ungraded point paper in Sem 2. I have checked with Grafton Student Center and I will still be eligible though I have only done 6 x 15 point graded papers.

Jayjay

I am curious to know average scores for past grad applicants to Auckland in the main category. I am 8.25 last two years and 155 (55th %ile) - I'm wondering if this is average for among people accepted or below average..

Also I wonder if some of the interview stations ask about professional/ extra-curricula experiences mentioned on your personal statement with the online application and even possibly contact past employers or anyone mentioned in the interview. I assume they take notes and may do this?

Rob

House Officer
Emeritus Staff
I am curious to know average scores for past grad applicants to Auckland in the main category. I am 8.25 last two years and 155 (55th %ile) - I'm wondering if this is average for among people accepted or below average..

Also I wonder if some of the interview stations ask about professional/ extra-curricula experiences mentioned on your personal statement with the online application and even possibly contact past employers or anyone mentioned in the interview. I assume they take notes and may do this?

Plenty of grads got in last year with 8.25 and less - definitely gives you a good chance. Interviewers do not have access to your personal statement - they will often ask you about extra-curricular activities, but will not have any idea of these beforehand. They only know your name

From the FMHS information evening about the MMI:
-Interviewers are simply there to interview you and mark you based on the 3 attributes that are assigned for the question that has been provided.
-Interviews only know your name; nothing else. Therefore, I would encourage you to talk about the things that you included in your online application, especially if you know that talking about these personal things can help you score high for the attributes that is being evaluated (e.g. Self awareness).
-Interviewers don't participate in the final decision making for medicine entry

Jayjay

From the FMHS information evening about the MMI:
-Interviewers are simply there to interview you and mark you based on the 3 attributes that are assigned for the question that has been provided.
-Interviews only know your name; nothing else. Therefore, I would encourage you to talk about the things that you included in your online application, especially if you know that talking about these personal things can help you score high for the attributes that is being evaluated (e.g. Self awareness).
-Interviewers don't participate in the final decision making for medicine entry

thanks. So if interviewers 'don't participate in the final decision making for medicine entry' - does that imply there is a separate decision making process by people in admissions? I guess they just read off the top applicants based on gpa, UMAT and interview score until places are filled? I'm just wondering who read that personal statement and whether another party takes part in the decision making process. Hopefully interview offers come out soon=) need to plan my trip back home to Auckland.

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
...I guess they just read off the top applicants based on gpa, UMAT and interview score until places are filled? I'm just wondering who read that personal statement and whether another party takes part in the decision making process. Hopefully interview offers come out soon=) need to plan my trip back home to Auckland.

Yeah, they literally have a list in descending order until all places are filled. It's not quite as simple as "the best 275 get in from #1-275" but almost as simple , if you are eligible for a special entry category you are only ranked against people in that category unless your overall score is so good you would have gotten in anyway then you are given a normal seat.

I have no idea who reads the MHo3 (maybe nobody?) or why it is even still included; I overheard John Mongatti at the end of the MMI talk this year telling some students it will probably be dropped because it's kinda defunct now the MMI is used.

At the MMI presentation from memory interview offers come out early in November.

thanks. So if interviewers 'don't participate in the final decision making for medicine entry' - does that imply there is a separate decision making process by people in admissions? I guess they just read off the top applicants based on gpa, UMAT and interview score until places are filled? I'm just wondering who read that personal statement and whether another party takes part in the decision making process. Hopefully interview offers come out soon=) need to plan my trip back home to Auckland.

The interviewers are volunteers who are working in the healthcare sector, therefore they are only there to score your interview and the FMHS medical board will then make the final decision.

capp

Hi guys, hoping someone can help about a question in regards to graduate applications with a BSci VS BSci with honours. I'm currently applying for medicine for otago and auckland for 2018, however I am also very tempted to see if carrying on with my science degree would suit me more before committing myself to studying medicine. I'm wanting to maybe do a year of honours in 2018, and then decide after that if I want to do medicine or continue on the science path. Would applying for medicine after an honours year differ from just applying with a BSsci degree, like the criteria, difficulty etc? If I do get accepted into medicine and decline the offer for next year would that affect my chances of getting accepted for 2019 if I apply again?

Thanks in advance.

Kiwiology

MSO Lawyer
An Hons year makes no difference in practical reality for Auckland; they only look at your most recent two years of study either Years II and III or III and Hons of an undergraduate degree or whatever postgraduate study you have done. For Otago I cannot say. Applications for MBChB 2018 in Auckland have closed. You can apply by 1 October 2018 for entry to the entering class of 2019.

acbard9

Auckland MBChB
At Otago, I believe your Honours will count as a 4th year for GPA calculations. For a 4-year degree, the weightings are: Y1 x 0.5, Y2 x 0.8, Y3 x 1.2, Y4 x 1.50. Otago does not score papers that are pass/fail (or an aegrotat pass).

Study Medicine at Otago

Hi guys, hoping someone can help about a question in regards to graduate applications with a BSci VS BSci with honours. I'm currently applying for medicine for otago and auckland for 2018, however I am also very tempted to see if carrying on with my science degree would suit me more before committing myself to studying medicine. I'm wanting to maybe do a year of honours in 2018, and then decide after that if I want to do medicine or continue on the science path. Would applying for medicine after an honours year differ from just applying with a BSsci degree, like the criteria, difficulty etc? If I do get accepted into medicine and decline the offer for next year would that affect my chances of getting accepted for 2019 if I apply again?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Medicine admissions guidelines can be found here: http://www.otago.ac.nz/healthsciences/students/professional/medicine/index.html

Dreytho97 is correct; have a look at the example that is given by Otago in the link provided.

nanep31

Does anyone know when special exams for semester 2 papers are held ? I know lecturers mentioned usually on start of following semester. Does that mean in this case will be sat during summer school or before Christmas ?

Putting it out there...

UMAT - 141 raw score
Sec 1 =46 raw score
Sec 2 =39 raw score
Sec 3 =56 raw score

Hey,
I was looking on my application for Otago today and it has a big tick next to 'met threshold'. You should be able to go onto yours and see if it says that you've met it too (I'm assuming that means youre higher than their cut off)

Hey guys,
I was looking at the status of my application for Otago today and it has Met threshold ticked next to my umat. I'm assuming this means that my UMAT score was above this year's cut off threshold. Does anyone know for sure if that is what it means?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Does anyone know when special exams for semester 2 papers are held ? I know lecturers mentioned usually on start of following semester. Does that mean in this case will be sat during summer school or before Christmas ?

Hi,

I believe it will be after the summer school.

Hey,
I was looking on my application for Otago today and it has a big tick next to 'met threshold'. You should be able to go onto yours and see if it says that you've met it too (I'm assuming that means youre higher than their cut off)

Hey guys,
I was looking at the status of my application for Otago today and it has Met threshold ticked next to my umat. I'm assuming this means that my UMAT score was above this year's cut off threshold. Does anyone know for sure if that is what it means?

Hi,

It should mean that you have met the threshold.

Hey,

Hey guys,

Unfortunately, I didn't meet the 25th percentile threshold for one of my UMAT sections so I got declined straight away. Sigh