Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO Graduate Entry Chat/Enquiry

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Hey Stuart!
Yeah just the generic type of questions like how hard the course is to get an A+ and workload etc.
They took HUNT out of summer school so I'm trying to look for other papers instead.

Hi notncea9,

Did they end up swapping that HUNT223 (or whatever the code is) with a 100-level paper?

I think the tourism paper will have quite a low workload, but the assessments will be different. So, if you are not keen on essays and possibly a group project, you might want to consider somethings else. People I know found it quite interesting and relaxing in comparison to science papers that people usually take, but A+ is not guaranteed.

The_Lopen

Otago MBChB II
Does anyone know how the change to admissions from 2020 will affect people that don't do 120 points at 300 level? (like people that are graduating this year and only take 5 papers at 300).

and if your remaining points at 200 and 100 level are counted together, won't that just force people to take as many 200 level papers as they can since they are worth more.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Does anyone know how the change to admissions from 2020 will affect people that don't do 120 points at 300 level? (like people that are graduating this year and only take 5 papers at 300).

and if your remaining points at 200 and 100 level are counted together, won't that just force people to take as many 200 level papers as they can since they are worth more.

Hi,

As I understand, upto (best) 120 points at 300-level will be considered. They will count the points as per your degree requirement. The rest of the points will come from 100-level or 200-level papers. There are also some weights given to different levels.

If you are completing a BSc at Otago, for example, the required points is 360. So, the five (18-point) 300-level papers will be counted with the weight of 1.5. The rest, 270 points, will be counted from 100-level or 200-level papers with the weight of 0.5 and 1.0 respectively.

Yes, people will try to take as many lower level papers as possible since they are deemed "easier" a lot of the times. This has been the case for many years. However, they are now counteracting that by introducing the rules. I think it will encourage people to take more 300-levels than before due to the weighting. Similarly, it will encourage people to take more 200-level papers than before. Note that not many people will take more than six 18-point papers at 300-level. Four is the minimum for many majors.

I hope I explained it thoroughly. Let me know if you have any further questions. By the way, you seem to be implying that the rules will affect 2018 graduates, but that is incorrect. The changes will be made for 2020 (2021 cohort).

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
hey just wondering if anyone has received a tick for their UMAT ID or threshold yet?

Hi Grape,

According to my sources, it hasn't happened yet.

ETA: I would think it is not very far away.

Last edited:

kei

UoA BSc (Biomed), MBChB II
hey just wondering if anyone has received a tick for their UMAT ID or threshold yet?
I emailed UoO asking about this and they replied: “We are working through the applications, and we aim to update these by the end of November.”
... I sure do hope they dont update that late though. Quite unusual since they updated the ticks last year around mid October. :-/

raspberry

Lurker
I emailed UoO asking about this and they replied: “We are working through the applications, and we aim to update these by the end of November.”
... I sure do hope they dont update that late though. Quite unusual since they updated the ticks last year around mid October. :-/
I got my both my ticks about a week ago so they must be getting through the applications

Reactions: kei

Is anyone else waiting on their tick still? / Has many people got their one already?
Still waiting over here. Have people that didn't pass the threshold been told? I got over 50th %ile in all sections but haven't got a tick and beginning to worry. They're usually out by now!

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
Still waiting over here. Have people that didn't pass the threshold been told? I got over 50th %ile in all sections but haven't got a tick and beginning to worry. They're usually out by now!

Hi,

I wouldn't lose sleep over this. They have been pretty inconsistent and slow with the process previously. The semester hasn't even ended yet. I know it's difficult not to since the whole future depends on whether you meet the threshold or not. If you have fairly high UMAT, I would recommend just relaxing (as much as you can).

yung scurvy

Does Otago do any altering of entry based on disability etc? Such as with the UMAT threshold or are they pretty straight across the board?
Cheers!

Bunny230

Hi there,

Just wondering, is it possible to do a Pre-Christmas summer school paper as a last minute attempt to boost my GPA for grad-entry into Auckland Med (2019)??

Verdigris

baby doctor
Silliest Member 2019
Hello hi yes
Auckland is a buttface, and they won't count pre-Christmas summer school papers if this is your final year. They only count things that have their results come out before they give out their acceptances, and pre-XSS has barely had its exams by that point. Also they don't count 100-level papers you've done in summer school in the past. However, Otago does accept pre-XSS you do this year. They hold a place for you in med until your result comes back (~mid Jan) and they calculate using that mark as well, which is why I'm doing it for the second year in a row.
Hope that helps :)

Bunny230

Hello hi yes
Auckland is a buttface, and they won't count pre-Christmas summer school papers if this is your final year. They only count things that have their results come out before they give out their acceptances, and pre-XSS has barely had its exams by that point. Also they don't count 100-level papers you've done in summer school in the past. However, Otago does accept pre-XSS you do this year. They hold a place for you in med until your result comes back (~mid Jan) and they calculate using that mark as well, which is why I'm doing it for the second year in a row.
Oh darn! :( My UMAT was below the threshold so I can't even get into Otago Med :(

Thanks for the help anyways!:)

Verdigris

baby doctor
Silliest Member 2019
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that :/ A few of my friends are in the same position. All the best for Auckland, though - smash that interview!!

notncea9

Hello hi yes

Hey Verigris!
What PXSS papers have you done and recommend?
I am most interested in the Christian Theology and Science paper

Verdigris

baby doctor
Silliest Member 2019
Hey :)

At the end of second year I did PSYC101 at Victoria. Honestly the easiest paper I've ever done, all MCQs. Of course, if you're in third year they won't count 100-level papers, but that's a tip for anyone who needs it.

I had two friends do RELS220 (Representing Islam in the Media) last year, and they both got an A (but I think an A+ is achievable). I've decided to do RELS220 too, for personal interest, and also because I liked the assessment schedule better. I considered doing CHTH235, but I did a 4,000 word 60% essay in first semester this year and struggled a bit. The biggest assessment in CHTH is a 3,000 word essay worth 60%. That kinda made up my mind between the two. The movie/book review and online discussion components of CHTH appear relatively straightforward, and they would probably be pretty fun to do, too. Also, not to be dramatic, but I'd really Suffer if I had to do a 3-hour lecture. I had 2-hour lectures this semester and those were fine, but 3 I feel is my breaking point.

220, on the other hand, is more split-up in its grading, which means there will be at least one assessment per week, but it will be worth less. Of course, CHTH doesn't have an exam whereas RELS does, but I have found arts papers are kinder when they're marking your exams than when they are marking your essays (when they assume you've started them well in time, have done lots of prep and research, and have edited and proofed it multiple times).

I think it really comes down to what your personal interests are, and if you have any experience writing essays. If you're interested in the topic, then 3,000 words isn't a challenging word count, but the marking is probably going to be a bit more particular and fussy. On the other hand, if you have a little less faith in your essay-writing, then maybe go for 220 if you're interested in that topic too. CHTH will be a lot easier to do via distance, I reckon (if that's a factor for you)

If you've never written a uni essay before and you want a hand, feel free to flick me a message at any point. All I've done for the past two years is write essays, and I've done a bit of tutoring too :)

Sorry, super long and rambly post, but I hope it helps a little!