• UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Otago Graduate Entry Chat/Enquiry

doggo

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has done ANAT334 (Developmental Anatomy) as I am keen to hear your thoughts on it. I can't find any reviews on this paper anywhere. Also would be keen to know what the internals are like (eg. whether its essays, group work, group presentations, individual presentations).
Thank you

Fencess

lil doggo
I was wondering if anyone knows how many spots there r for refugee and the average gpa for last year was?
Cheers
I couldn't find anything on fyi.org that satisfied your request. I would advise you to send an email to the health sciences admissions office. They should be able to reply reasonably quickly to give you an indication. Don't forget to report back here with what you find. Good luck.

babby

I did my undergrad degree in 3.5 years , which admissions said was acceptable because I was changing majors. However, I was wondering if this means that they still take my best 360 points for my degree. Or whether they have another way of working it out (ie. best 420 points to compensate for the extra semester). I've emailed admissions, I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen

Bootleg

I did my undergrad degree in 3.5 years , which admissions said was acceptable because I was changing majors. However, I was wondering if this means that they still take my best 360 points for my degree. Or whether they have another way of working it out (ie. best 420 points to compensate for the extra semester). I've emailed admissions, I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen
From my understanding its still your best 360 points. They will only take anything beyond 360 points when your degree is normally longer than 3 years, for example a Bpharm degree.

Bunny230

Hey guys,

Just came across this response on FYI and I am having some difficulty making sense of exactly why there was no waitlist for the rural subcategory last year. I was under the impression that pretty much you're ranked against all applicants; that you don't need to meet a threshold GPA per say after the 6.0 GPA but from what I've read in this request it sounds like you do e.g. the threshold for last year was 7.75 for graduate rural applicants??? The University representative could've worded it slightly better I feel haha.

Attachments

Bootleg

Hey guys,

Just came across this response on FYI and I am having some difficulty making sense of exactly why there was no waitlist for the rural subcategory last year. I was under the impression that pretty much you're ranked against all applicants; that you don't need to meet a threshold GPA per say after the 6.0 GPA but from what I've read in this request it sounds like you do e.g. the threshold for last year was 7.75 for graduate rural applicants??? The University representative could've worded it slightly better I feel haha.
Firstly, I have never heard of a 6.0GPA threshold for Otago? I might be wrong but from memory it was only UoA having a 6.0GPA minimum requirement.

Secondly, I think the purpose of a threshold is to ensure that the system are more fairer. Otago wants to ensure that being in a sub-category doesn't give you any substantial advantage over a general category person.

Fili

Dentistry Student
Valued Member
Hey guys,

From what I heard, 7.75 wasn't the threshold but the cutoff for rural applicants. There's no threshold for Otago grades wise (except passing the HSFY papers) but you do need to pass the UCAT threshold in order to be eligible.

After that, those applying under rural category compete with others in that same category. Last year, the cutoff was 7.75

Zedd_

Hey guys,

Just wanted to know how my chances would differ if I took bachelor of science majoring in anatomy vs majoring in psychology. Would I have a higher chance of getting accepted into medicine if I major in anatomy?

Sherlock

Staff
Hey guys,

Just wanted to know how my chances would differ if I took bachelor of science majoring in anatomy vs majoring in psychology. Would I have a higher chance of getting accepted into medicine if I major in anatomy?
No. Your undergrad degree/major doesn't matter.

Fili

Dentistry Student
Valued Member
Hey guys,

No. Your degree doesn't matter, it's your grades.

If you perform equally well on either degrees, you would have the same chance.