Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO Graduate Entry Chat/Enquiry

Hi. does anyone know how graduate entry works for a 4-year degree? I'm kinda confused by the GPA calculations. I know we calculate the total points from each paper by multiplying Grade point x Paper point x Weighting to get the Total Points. Then do we sum up all of the total points and divide it by the sum of the paper points? Or do we also have to divide by the number of years?

Also, I'm not sure how good my chances are, seeing how my 1st year grades were meh (my average was A-).

Thanks in advance!

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Hi. does anyone know how graduate entry works for a 4-year degree? I'm kinda confused by the GPA calculations. I know we calculate the total points from each paper by multiplying Grade point x Paper point x Weighting to get the Total Points. Then do we sum up all of the total points and divide it by the sum of the paper points? Or do we also have to divide by the number of years?

Also, I'm not sure how good my chances are, seeing how my 1st year grades were meh (my average was A-).

Thanks in advance!

Check page 44 on this thread.

The search function in the top right of MSO also works quite well if you search something along the lines of "GPA 4 year" etc.

Fili

Dentist 🦷
For those wondering, you can email the University to know what your weighted GPA is since there may be some confusion on the calculations + MSO people post different GPAs with/without the first sem grade bump which fiddle with the accuracy of the offers thread.

Regardless, the University said that the graduate cutoff for medicine is 8.93.

I'll edit and update this message once they reply for the cutoff for dentistry.

Bootleg

If you can't find it, I will summaries it for you

Grade point x Paper point x Weighting with weighting of 0.5 for 100 level, 0.8 for 200 level, 1.2 for 300 level, 1.5 for 400 level after which you then divide by 480.

Doing a four year degree, means more weighting is given to your later papers (300 and 400 level), therefore, your A- grades will only have somewhat of a 'minor' impact on your GPA.

Hope that helps :)

If you can't find it, I will summaries it for you

Grade point x Paper point x Weighting with weighting of 0.5 for 100 level, 0.8 for 200 level, 1.2 for 300 level, 1.5 for 400 level after which you then divide by 480.

Doing a four year degree, means more weighting is given to your later papers (300 and 400 level), therefore, your A- grades will only have somewhat of a 'minor' impact on your GPA.

Hope that helps :)
Thank you so much Bootleg! So if my 4 year-degree has more than 480 points in total, do I need to take out some of the papers from my calculation? Is there like a 120 point limit for each year?

Bootleg

Thank you so much Bootleg! So if my 4 year-degree has more than 480 points in total, do I need to take out some of the papers from my calculation? Is there like a 120 point limit for each year?
Yes you do. There is no limit as to how much papers you take in any year (if that makes any sense), however the admissions will only look at your best 480 points over that 4 years.

ScarlettK

Thanks in advance!
Hey! it can also depend on what the circumstances of the 4 year degree. For example. I started doing a BSc with a major in Physiology and decided in my third year to add a second major in Anatomy as it would increase my undergrad GPA. In my case, because it is physically possible to complete both those majors together within the normal 3 year degree, and the only reason i had to take an extra year to complete it was due to missing certain papers the admissions office calculated my degree as if I completed it within the 3 years. Hence, depending on the degree someone is undertaking it is possible to take 4 years to complete a degree yet only have your best 360 points used :). Unsure if that applies to you or not...but might be helpful for others!

Bootleg

Hey! it can also depend on what the circumstances of the 4 year degree. For example. I started doing a BSc with a major in Physiology and decided in my third year to add a second major in Anatomy as it would increase my undergrad GPA. In my case, because it is physically possible to complete both those majors together within the normal 3 year degree, and the only reason i had to take an extra year to complete it was due to missing certain papers the admissions office calculated my degree as if I completed it within the 3 years. Hence, depending on the degree someone is undertaking it is possible to take 4 years to complete a degree yet only have your best 360 points used :). Unsure if that applies to you or not...but might be helpful for others!

The general rule has been that for any graduate applicant, you are required to finish your degree in the lowest academic time possible. That is, for a standard bachelor degree, you take 3 years to complete (at most). If you take anymore then 3 years to finish a standard bachelor, you run the risk of having your application declined (regardless of what grade you achieved). This is because doing a 3 year degree in a 4 year time frame is unfair to those applicants that completed their degree within required 3 years. Although, there are exception to this such as: illness etc.

Its my understanding that changing majors or adding majors when you have already completed 2 years isn't necessarily acceptable as a reason as you should've planned before hand (although this again depends on individual circumstances and situations).

At the end of the day, it's up to the discretion of the admissions office as to whether they accept your application or not (and it can go either way).

ScarlettK

The general rule has been that for any graduate applicant, you are required to finish your degree in the lowest academic time possible. That is, for a standard bachelor degree, you take 3 years to complete (at most). If you take anymore then 3 years to finish a standard bachelor, you run the risk of having your application declined (regardless of what grade you achieved). This is because doing a 3 year degree in a 4 year time frame is unfair to those applicants that completed their degree within required 3 years. Although, there are exception to this such as: illness etc.

Its my understanding that changing majors or adding majors when you have already completed 2 years isn't necessarily acceptable as a reason as you should've planned before hand (although this again depends on individual circumstances and situations).

At the end of the day, it's up to the discretion of the admissions office as to whether they accept your application or not (and it can go either way).
That is fair - it would be up to the admissions office. I'm just going from my personal experience as i was suggested that by a woman I spoke to at the healths science office in 2019 and I have had a few friends who did the same and I wasn't asked about my reason for taking 4 years to complete my BSc

Bootleg

The University finally replied to my email. The following are the academic cuts-off scores, for Graduate Category 2021 (weighted GPA cut-off score)

Dentistry - 8.50
Medicine 8.93
Thanks for that Fili.

We have people on MSO that are below the 8.93 cutoff but still got a direct offer (first round offer). From memory, someone with a 8.917 got a direct offer, so that is very interesting.

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Thanks for that Fili.

We have people on MSO that are below the 8.93 cutoff but still got a direct offer (first round offer). From memory, someone with a 8.917 got a direct offer, so that is very interesting.

I think it's probably people calculating their weighted GPAs wrong or different from how the uni does it tbh.

It's a real weird year calculations wise - I reckon the only way to get consistent results is if everyone just asked the Uni what their weighted GPA was and post that on MSO instead.

Hi there, I am a student from UoA and will be applying to medicine in Otago through the graduate category in two years.. this might be a dumb question but why is it on the Otago threads people are reporting a gpa above 9? Is 9.0 not the top gpa?

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Hi there, I am a student from UoA and will be applying to medicine in Otago through the graduate category in two years.. this might be a dumb question but why is it on the Otago threads people are reporting a gpa above 9? Is 9.0 not the top gpa?

Go to the page before this.
It's literally on there.

anon12345

Lurker
Hey guys, first time posting, was just wondering what are the chances of a position opening up now that 2nd round offers have been given out for someone in the top 5 of the waiting list?

blastoff

Hey guys, first time posting, was just wondering what are the chances of a position opening up now that 2nd round offers have been given out for someone in the top 5 of the waiting list?
Obviously can never 100% confirm but based of pervious years trends very good! I know many people got offers before PXSS finished but I have friends who have yet to hear anything, there is often offers sent out once these results are confirmed. Does anyone know when this is/was?