Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO Graduate Entry Chat/Enquiry

delta47

I found the essay questions to be pretty good. Especially the essays on Hektoen agar and virus entry mechanisms.

Immunology MCQs were quite straightforward and I liked that module 1 and 2 weren't assessed in MCQ format (hated progress test 1 lol)

hbu?
MCQs and all short essays seemed fine, didn’t like the compulsory essay, there was just too much to cover, was unsure what to put down.

mideasyrole

MCQs and all short essays seemed fine, didn’t like the compulsory essay, there was just too much to cover, was unsure what to put down.
Yeah I felt that I wrote too much but at the same time not enough for the compulsory essay. Relating the different types of respiration to bacterial growth was a bit weird.

egwh123

Hi, I was just wondering if postgrad entry is out of the picture since my second year semester one papers average at a B+... I heard for postgrad entry, an A+ average is needed? Could someone please confirm? Thanks :)

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Hi, I was just wondering if postgrad entry is out of the picture since my second year semester one papers average at a B+... I heard for postgrad entry, an A+ average is needed? Could someone please confirm? Thanks :)

Depends on how your first year grades were but most importantly how your grades will be next semester and in third year.

You may still make it if you're willing to do some pre-Christmas summer school (PXSS) this year and next year, and summer school (SS) papers next year. If you manage to get good grades for those, they may boost up your GPA.

Bootleg

If I got a C+ average in first semester in second year should I forget about graduate entry for medicine?.
It depends on numerous factors such as did you get C+ in all your papers, or was 1 paper at a C- and another paper at a B+, resulting in you having a C+ average. Also depends on what papers you will take next semester (and how likely you get can A grades in those and 3rd year etc.)

If you want, feel free to DM me and I am more than happy to provide you with more specific advice.

lxmno

It depends on numerous factors such as did you get C+ in all your papers, or was 1 paper at a C- and another paper at a B+, resulting in you having a C+ average. Also depends on what papers you will take next semester (and how likely you get can A grades in those and 3rd year etc.)

If you want, feel free to DM me and I am more than happy to provide you with more specific advice.
Thank You for the message. But I'm not able to message you for some reason?.

egwh123

Depends on how your first year grades were but most importantly how your grades will be next semester and in third year.

You may still make it if you're willing to do some pre-Christmas summer school (PXSS) this year and next year, and summer school (SS) papers next year. If you manage to get good grades for those, they may boost up your GPA.
Hi Fili, my first year GPA was around 6.4. Papers from this semester was 2 B+, 1 B- and 1 A. Would my grades for next semester and third year need to be in the A+ range in this circumstance?

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Hi Fili, my first year GPA was around 6.4. Papers from this semester was 2 B+, 1 B- and 1 A. Would my grades for next semester and third year need to be in the A+ range in this circumstance?

Yes.
Just aim for as high as you can tbh. If you fall short, that's ok.

There's always Auckland Uni where a great UCAT and MMI can help get you in even if your grades aren't amazingly high. Likewise, there's Australia but you don't need to think about it til next year. For now, just focus on your grades. Analyse why you got the scores that you did whether it be lack of study, inefficient study methods, etc etc, and work on them.

egwh123

Yes.
Just aim for as high as you can tbh. If you fall short, that's ok.

There's always Auckland Uni where a great UCAT and MMI can help get you in even if your grades aren't amazingly high. Likewise, there's Australia but you don't need to think about it til next year. For now, just focus on your grades. Analyse why you got the scores that you did whether it be lack of study, inefficient study methods, etc etc, and work on them.
I have heard Auckland Uni UCAT is a lot more competitive than Otago's thresholds. Would you know around what UCAT percentile would be needed for Auckland? Thanks so much!

Fili

Dentist 🦷
I have heard Auckland Uni UCAT is a lot more competitive than Otago's thresholds. Would you know around what UCAT percentile would be needed for Auckland? Thanks so much!

Auckland doesn't use a threshold - instead UCAT makes up 15% of the total calculation. The MMI makes up 25% and GPA make up 60%.

Unsure if they've changed this but all in all - grades aren't the only thing they take into account which means that if you have a really good UCAT and MMI, you can still get in with not so amazing grades.

Bootleg

Defs not more competitive. The general consensus has been that a 50th - 60th percentile is more than sufficient provided you have a above average MMI.

Honestly this isn't stressed enough, but many people think that a high UCAT (90th+ percentile) coupled with a high GPA, will almost guarantee them entry into med, which isn't the case. The MMI is very important, and doing well in it will give you a better chance of being accepted over a high UCAT score.

drum99

UoA MBChB III
Defs not more competitive. The general consensus has been that a 50th - 60th percentile is more than sufficient provided you have a above average MMI.

Honestly this isn't stressed enough, but many people think that a high UCAT (90th+ percentile) coupled with a high GPA, will almost guarantee them entry into med, which isn't the case. The MMI is very important, and doing well in it will give you a better chance of being accepted over a high UCAT score.
Yeah I would second that. I've heard of people with high GPA's, high UCAT still missing out due to not performing well in MMI. Anectodally, I didn't do very well at all in the UCAT but had a high GPA and felt like the MMI went well and got an offer through graduate entry. So UCAT isn't the end of the world really for UoA......

caityutoo

That is good to hear. I am struggling with UCAT. GPA 8.6 (right now) graduate end of the year. Should I flag applying for UoA until I can get a good mark on UCAT? Take it in July but I am not holding out much hope...
Yeah I would second that. I've heard of people with high GPA's, high UCAT still missing out due to not performing well in MMI. Anectodally, I didn't do very well at all in the UCAT but had a high GPA and felt like the MMI went well and got an offer through graduate entry. So UCAT isn't the end of the world really for UoA......

drum99

UoA MBChB III
That is good to hear. I am struggling with UCAT. GPA 8.6 (right now) graduate end of the year. Should I flag applying for UoA until I can get a good mark on UCAT? Take it in July but I am not holding out much hope...
Well I would do UCAT - find out your mark and and go from there. Sounds like your GPA is killer, nicely done. Keep that high and do well on your interview and you won't need a crazy high UCAT