Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO Graduate Entry Chat/Enquiry

mkan

Lurker
Hi,

I've had to withdraw from semester 2 this year due to medical reasons and I'm thinking of applying to med via grad entry. I've done semester 1 of HSFY at UoO but my grades weren't good due to the aforementioned medical reasons. I was planning on doing BBmedSc at VUW but VUW has 15 point papers - not 18 like UoO and I was wondering if I'd be better off doing a BSc at Otago instead. Also, were I to do a BSc at Otago, what do I do about the semester 1 grades (as a lot of the BSc majors I'm interested in require HSFY papers as 100 level papers)? Would they mess up my GPA? I don't think they would let me retake the papers so I'm a little worried... Also, I read on this thread that you have to maximise 200 and 300 level papers and it's better to do only the required 100 level papers - how exactly do you go about doing this? Sorry about the really long question! I would appreciate any help/ advise.

TIA!

lotis6129

Lurker
Hey guys, I finally heard back from the admissions office:

Q: I was just wondering what the rural graduate entry cutoff gpa was this year for medicine and for dentistry?

A: I can confirm that the rural cut off for graduate entry was as follows:

Medicine - 7.92

Dentistry - 7.95
Hi! do you know if graduate entry got a 5% cove boost? like HSFY? if so is that cut off including that?
thanks so much!

caityutoo

Well I would do UCAT - find out your mark and and go from there. Sounds like your GPA is killer, nicely done. Keep that high and do well on your interview and you won't need a crazy high UCAT
Well as expected not great on UCAT 2600 (rocked DM-750 but crashed and burned on VR 540 the rest mid 600s). GPA still at 8.6 going into second sem. Should I risk applying to UofA graduate or resit UCAT next year hopefully spending more time studying for it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Bootleg

Well as expected not great on UCAT 2600 (rocked DM-750 but crashed and burned on VR 540 the rest mid 600s). GPA still at 8.6 going into second sem. Should I risk applying to UofA graduate or resit UCAT next year hopefully spending more time studying for it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

2600 is around 60th percentile (if there isn't big changes to this year cohort performance), so should put you in a good position. Your GPA is definitely above the median but slightly below the upper quartile (according to last year statistics). I would say on the basis of your GPA and UCAT score you are definitely in a good position. However it all depends on your MMI interview, if you have a very good MMI, then you will most likely land yourself an offer.

It's hard to give you a definitive answer on your chances solely based on your UCAT score and GPA.

framed24

Hi all,

I am sitting UCAT this Sunday and I was wondering what are the estimated ucat scores I should be aiming for if i want to apply for otago med via graduate entry?

I am aware that this may be a difficult question to answer, but any info or advice would be great :D

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Hi all,

I am sitting UCAT this Sunday and I was wondering what are the estimated ucat scores I should be aiming for if i want to apply for otago med via graduate entry?

I am aware that this may be a difficult question to answer, but any info or advice would be great :D

Otago Med only looks at VR ~20th percentile (so like 510+) and SJT ~10th percentile (not too sure exactly since idk anyone who's had a low mark on SJT).

The threshold is quite low so my advice is keep that in mind and don't stress.

framed24

Otago Med only looks at VR ~20th percentile (so like 510+) and SJT ~10th percentile (not too sure exactly since idk anyone who's had a low mark on SJT).

The threshold is quite low so my advice is keep that in mind and don't stress.
Thank you for your fast reply. And, if that is the case then I am very relieved. :D

drum99

UoA MBChB III
To be honest that seems like a competitive enough UCAT for UoA grad entry - with a high GPA and a good MMI interview I reckon you'll get an offer!

Hi everyone, its my first time posting here :) I just wanted to know if anyone knows if UCAT has to be taken the same year you apply for med at otago? I can't find anything about this online.

Thanks in advance!

egwh123

Hello, does anyone know what the weighted GPA cutoff for graduate entry into medicine/dentistry was for general applicants with no subcategories was?

I've been told it was around 8.95 for 2021 entry into medicine but was unsure if this included the 5% covid grade boost from 2020. Could someone please clarify this?

Thank you in advance! :)

Bootleg

Hello, does anyone know what the weighted GPA cutoff for graduate entry into medicine/dentistry was for general applicants with no subcategories was?

I've been told it was around 8.95 for 2021 entry into medicine but was unsure if this included the 5% covid grade boost from 2020. Could someone please clarify this?

Thank you in advance! :)
Cutoff for first round offer was 8.90 - it included the COVID 5% Boost from S1.

Bootleg

Do you know what the cutoff was without the 5% boost and the cutoff for dentistry?
They didn't have separate cutoffs. Regardless if you received the 5% boost in S1 or not, the cutoff was 8.9 for first round offer.

I don't have a definitive cutoff for dentistry, however, there was a MSO user who got offered a first round offer with a 8.5 GPA (including 5% boost).

parlimyt

Lurker
Hey everyone, does anyone know if 300 level papers count as 1.5 when calculating weighted academic score for admission into pharmacy via the two or more years of uni study category?