Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO Graduate Entry Chat/Enquiry

Neurd

Hello,
I'm going for postgrad med. I'm currently majoring in microbiology a student advisor told me that only 5 non-science papers will be counted toward my GPA. I wasn't sure if this was right because it doesn't say anything under the entry requirements for medicine?.
Hi, I think that this comes from the rule that:
Up to 90 points may be taken from outside Science.
(taken from https://www.otago.ac.nz/courses/qualifications/bsc.html)
90 points = 5 papers, if you do any more than that, they can't be counted towards your BSc, so won't be part of your GPA. I may be wrong, but that's how I understood it when I was working out my degree.

lxmno

(taken from Bachelor of Science (BSc), Qualifications, University of Otago, New Zealand)
90 points = 5 papers, if you do any more than that, they can't be counted towards your BSc, so won't be part of your GPA. I may be wrong, but that's how I understood it when I was working out my degree.
Thank You

(taken from Bachelor of Science (BSc), Qualifications, University of Otago, New Zealand)
does this apply for Biomed as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I was wondering if anyone knows any 200 level GPA boost papers for next year? Have so far done phsl231, Bitc201, pubh211 and am doing phsl232, psyc211, pubh204 and anat242. Would prefer a paper that doesn't have too many essays/ or the internals are marked super easy, Thanks!

HaNaBABa

Lurker
Hi! Does anyone know how they weigh a 4-year degree? I know that the first year is 0.5, 2nd is 0.8, 3rd is 1 and 4th is 1.5. But I was wondering if it will still be 240 credit from 100 and 200 level, 120 from 300 level and 120 from 400 level. OR would it be 360 from 100-300 level and 120 from 400 level?

Thanks.

5ushi

Following on from the question above, if 120/18 = 6.6 will they count only 5 or 6 300 level papers towards your GPA? Thanks!
Hey, 6 300 level papers will count. The 7th 300 level paper will be treated as a 200 level paper in the GPA weighting.

Alby

Lurker
Hi, I was wondering, for graduate application to medicine, does applying for dentistry affect chances of getting in at all?

Hi, this may be obvious but I was considering taking a psychology paper in my second year (bachelor of pharmacology) and was wondering if first year papers taken in the second year have the same scoring as second year papers taken in second year, in relation to med entry through graduate route?
Hope that makes sense. Thank you :))

ScarlettK

Hi, this may be obvious but I was considering taking a psychology paper in my second year (bachelor of pharmacology) and was wondering if first year papers taken in the second year have the same scoring as second year papers taken in second year, in relation to med entry through graduate route?
Hope that makes sense. Thank you :))
Hey :) Not anymore with the new weighting system. The weighting is directly associated with the level of the paper (eg: all 100 level papers = x0.5, all 200 level papers = x1.0 and the best seven 300 level papers = x1.5 for a standard 3 year degree).

Hey :) Not anymore with the new weighting system. The weighting is directly associated with the level of the paper (eg: all 100 level papers = x0.5, all 200 level papers = x1.0 and the best seven 300 level papers = x1.5 for a standard 3 year degree).
thank you! does that apply to both Auckland and Otago?
also, do you think it would be wise to take a 100 level paper in S1 of second year, in order to be able to do an "easier" 200 paper in second semester, relative to other 200 level papers (e.g. HUNT141 in S1, then HUNT243 in S2)?
or would it be better, in theory, to simply take 200 level papers in second year and 300 level papers in third year?

delta47

thank you! does that apply to both Auckland and Otago?
also, do you think it would be wise to take a 100 level paper in S1 of second year, in order to be able to do an "easier" 200 paper in second semester, relative to other 200 level papers (e.g. HUNT141 in S1, then HUNT243 in S2)?
or would it be better, in theory, to simply take 200 level papers in second year and 300 level papers in third year?
Hi, just letting you know that you can do HUNT141 in summer school as a distance paper, so that'd give you a slot during the 'normal' teaching period to do a 200 level paper aswell if you wanted.