Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO Graduate Entry Chat/Enquiry

Bootleg

How is it predicted to be lower if the max academic score obtainable is 10.5?
Not everyone can get above 9.0. Getting above a 9.0 is extremely hard. You need to be fully dedicated in doing more than 8 papers per year and you are getting at least a minimum of A in your 200 (if your 300 levels are A+).

Sebzy

Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone had any predictions about changes to the grad entry cut off under the new weighting system, as I am under the impression that the cut off should lower?
Cheers
how did they used to calculate the gpa in previous years do you know?

Longboi

Lurker
how did they used to calculate the gpa in previous years do you know?
They used to weigh papers in terms of the year you sat them instead of the paper level itself. For example, in your final year of a standard bachelors degree all papers (besides 100 level) would be weighted at 1.5, so many people would only do the minimum amount of 300 level papers for their degree requirements and fill up the remainder of their final year with 200 level papers (which would still be weighted at 1.5 under the old system). My understanding is that the new gpa calculation system is implemented to stop people from doing this.

dylz27

Hey guys,
Thought I might post on here for some help with my 'situation'.

So I did HSFY in semester one, in which I passed CELS191 and HUBS191 with C's and I failed both CHEM and PHSI. After these terrible results I opted to do Neuroscience for this semester to try and get in to med through grad entry in 2 and a bit years time. I am (as I am aware) eligible for the rural entry but was wondering how the GPA cutoff varies between normal grad and rural grad?

oh btw im doing Chem191 summer school to be all good for the prerequisites for some of the lvl 200 papers.

Any help with possible problems that I might/will occur would be greatly appreciated :)

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Hey guys,
Thought I might post on here for some help with my 'situation'.

So I did HSFY in semester one, in which I passed CELS191 and HUBS191 with C's and I failed both CHEM and PHSI. After these terrible results I opted to do Neuroscience for this semester to try and get in to med through grad entry in 2 and a bit years time. I am (as I am aware) eligible for the rural entry but was wondering how the GPA cutoff varies between normal grad and rural grad?

oh btw im doing Chem191 summer school to be all good for the prerequisites for some of the lvl 200 papers.

Any help with possible problems that I might/will occur would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm not too sure about the exact number but I think the rural gpa cutoff for med is ~1.0 less than the normal graduate straight-in cutoff so it's probably around a gpa of 7.8 in previous years.

With that said, I don't know how useful this data will be as the entry system changes for entry next year where they weigh your paper levels rather than the year you took the paper but yeah.

duftlagl

Hi is anyone here doing ANAT332? I have a question regarding our assignment due next week and unfortunately, I don't know anyone in class (I'm a 2nd year) - so was wondering if I could get some help here!
If you do take ANAT332, it would mean a lot if you could flick me a message.

Thank you :)

Hey, has anyone does CHTH335 or CHTH225 in pre-xmas ss? A few mates and I are wondering how difficult the papers are, and if the marking is pretty diff between the two levels despite content being pre much the same. Thanks :)

BTW does anybody know what UCAT sections they look at for dentistry interviews? And what the minimum scores required are in each section.

Fili

Dentist 🦷
BTW does anybody know what UCAT sections they look at for dentistry interviews? And what the minimum scores required are in each section.
Verbal Reasoning 20th Percentile, Situational Judgement 10th percentile, Decision Making 57th percentile.

Last year this was around:
VR - 530
DM - 630
SJT - no clue since idk anyone who got below 50th percentile let alone 10th percentile

Verbal Reasoning 20th Percentile, Situational Judgement 10th percentile, Decision Making 57th percentile.

Last year this was around:
VR - 530
DM - 630
SJT - no clue since idk anyone who got below 50th percentile let alone 10th percentile
Oh crap. Does that mean I'm screwed? I got 550 for Decision making 😭. FML

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Oh crap. Does that mean I'm screwed? I got 550 for Decision making 😭. FML

We'll have to wait and see tbh. Last year was the first year of UCAT, so things can change - you'll probably know in a few weeks time as last year, interview offers were released around the end of September.

Regardless, even if you don't reach the threshold, it isn't the end of the world nor your chance for dent. The same thing happened with me and UMAT back in 2017, and I got into dent through the graduate pathway. Keep focusing on your papers so as to not let the grades slip and have some back up plans in place after exams.

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Obviously we can’t know, but do we think these are the main sections they take into consideration?
These were the ones they used last year for dentistry which they gave out on an OIA.
There's also an OIA for UCAT med where they said it was VR 20th percentile and SJ 10th percentile for 2020 entry.

EDIT: They could increase or decrease the sections this year tbh. Very unsure but if they use the same format for last year, then we can say that they'll probably make it consistent for the next few years.

Last edited:

We'll have to wait and see tbh. Last year was the first year of UCAT, so things can change - you'll probably know in a few weeks time as last year, interview offers were released around the end of September.

Regardless, even if you don't reach the threshold, it isn't the end of the world nor your chance for dent. The same thing happened with me and UMAT back in 2017, and I got into dent through the graduate pathway. Keep focusing on your papers so as to not let the grades slip and have some back up plans in place after exams.
Okay :) And thank you so much for your kind reply :)

hmm, mine in regards to the dent interview still says 'pending.'
I did see in another post that apparently those applying from other universities might have their application processed later. So I hope that it the case.