Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UoO Graduate Entry Chat/Enquiry

Fili

Dentist 🦷
hmm, mine in regards to the dent interview still says 'pending.'
I did see in another post that apparently those applying from other universities might have their application processed later. So I hope that it the case.

If you're from a different University, your interviews are in November so invites will be later on in the year.

a123456

Does anyone know if you take a PXSS paper in your last year of study if this will count towards your GPA? AskOtago hasn't been able to answer this but I'm guessing not as results won't be finalised by the time the first round of offers are released?

jttgimod

Lurker
Does anyone know if you take a PXSS paper in your last year of study if this will count towards your GPA? AskOtago hasn't been able to answer this but I'm guessing not as results won't be finalised by the time the first round of offers are released?
it is! you will just automatically be put on waitlist until your results are released in an

Jamesbro

Hi everyone,

First time posting😬..........., so the maximum attainable weighted GPA according to the new calculation would be around 10.35🤯 (six paper at 300 level A+, the rest 14 paper being 200 level A+, basically no 100 level paper taken in to account). Correct me if I am wrong :). So this means that one have to do eight 200 level paper in second year and two 200 level papers each summer school for two years, and six 300 level paper and two 200 level paper in the last year for a three year degree (360 points) OR do any degree for more than three to have enough 200 level (14 papers). In saying all this, how many students would be there for this year (2020) cohort that have maximised their advantage through these method/ways given the change to the scoring was announced and noticed recently? I saw a weighted GPA of 9.4/9.2🤯 in the 2020 offer forum and felt a shock that my 8.3 weighted GPA does not have a chance 😔 if there are many student with similar GPA ( I only took 7 paper in my 1st and 2nd year, and 6 paper this year, so basically the minimum paper to graduate.)

Fili

Dentist 🦷
Hi everyone,

First time posting😬..........., so the maximum attainable weighted GPA according to the new calculation would be around 10.35🤯 (six paper at 300 level A+, the rest 14 paper being 200 level A+, basically no 100 level paper taken in to account). Correct me if I am wrong :). So this means that one have to do eight 200 level paper in second year and two 200 level papers each summer school for two years, and six 300 level paper and two 200 level paper in the last year for a three year degree (360 points) OR do any degree for more than three to have enough 200 level (14 papers). In saying all this, how many students would be there for this year (2020) cohort that have maximised their advantage through these method/ways given the change to the scoring was announced and noticed recently? I saw a weighted GPA of 9.4/9.2🤯 in the 2020 offer forum and felt a shock that my 8.3 weighted GPA does not have a chance 😔 if there are many student with similar GPA ( I only took 7 paper in my 1st and 2nd year, and 6 paper this year, so basically the minimum paper to graduate.)

I mean hypothetically, someone with A+ for everything can probably get that but it's very rare to see a 9.0 GPA average in the past with the old system, so I don't think anyone on MSO would get above a 10.0 etc with the new system.

Likewise, this is the first year where they'll implement the change. You can't compare yourself to one person that posted on MSO and determine that you have absolutely no chance whatsoever. MSO is a very biased site when it comes to grades as only those who do well even usually post let alone that only a few amount of people know about the site. If you tell yourself that you have no chance now, what good will that even do? Are you just not going to apply after all your hard work?

It's the last few weeks. You've already come so far, and it's not like you can change whatever anyone did in the past either. Just try your best and give it all you've got for the next few weeks. Don't compare yourself to others and just do your best.

Jamesbro

I mean hypothetically, someone with A+ for everything can probably get that but it's very rare to see a 9.0 GPA average in the past with the old system, so I don't think anyone on MSO would get above a 10.0 etc with the new system.

Likewise, this is the first year where they'll implement the change. You can't compare yourself to one person that posted on MSO and determine that you have absolutely no chance whatsoever. MSO is a very biased site when it comes to grades as only those who do well even usually post let alone that only a few amount of people know about the site. If you tell yourself that you have no chance now, what good will that even do? Are you just not going to apply after all your hard work?

It's the last few weeks. You've already come so far, and it's not like you can change whatever anyone did in the past either. Just try your best and give it all you've got for the next few weeks. Don't compare yourself to others and just do your best.

Thanks for the encouragement Fili, I am just probably overthinking it and a bit annoyed at myself that I only took the minimum number of papers....... but like you said this the first time the change is being implemented and hope it does not affect me for UoA application.............

Gemma

Thanks for the encouragement Fili, I am just probably overthinking it and a bit annoyed at myself that I only took the minimum number of papers....... but like you said this the first time the change is being implemented and hope it does not affect me for UoA application.............
Just want to add that you still have time to do a pre xmas paper to boost your GPA a bit too :)

Hi! Does anyone have any idea at all what the PXSS papers are? Is it too left field for science students to get good marks in religious papers?

yung scurvy

Anyone have an idea how GPA is calculated for professional programs from post-graduate study? such as a honours or a PGdip?
Cheers in Advance

Asye

hey, I am advancing to 2 year in nursing at AUT. In 2018 I completed premed at auckland and was unsuccessful, so I was thinking is it still possible for me to do HSFY?, if yes is it better that I finish my degree or should I just go for the 2022 med entry.

hey, I am advancing to 2 year in nursing at AUT. In 2018 I completed premed at auckland and was unsuccessful, so I was thinking is it still possible for me to do HSFY?, if yes is it better that I finish my degree or should I just go for the 2022 med entry.
I believe that HSFY can only be attempted if no prior years of tertiary study have been completed. I would therefore say that postgraduate med entry would indeed most likely be your best bet (someone please correct me if this is wrong)

duftlagl

If I do eight 300-level papers, given they only look at 6.6 of 300 level papers, will my top 6.6 papers be considered gor gpa calculations? Or will it be the first 6.66 ive done?

For example, i just had my ANAT332 exam today and im a second year. I was thinking of doing six 300 levels next year so seven 300 levels in total. However my exam didnt go great today and so I was wondering if I do seven 300 level papers NEXT year thus eight 300 in total, will my top 6.66 papers be counted? Or would it be the first seven i have done so todays anat332 would be counted?

Thank you 🤧🤧

If I do eight 300-level papers, given they only look at 6.6 of 300 level papers, will my top 6.6 papers be considered gor gpa calculations? Or will it be the first 6.66 ive done?

For example, i just had my ANAT332 exam today and im a second year. I was thinking of doing six 300 levels next year so seven 300 levels in total. However my exam didnt go great today and so I was wondering if I do seven 300 level papers NEXT year thus eight 300 in total, will my top 6.66 papers be counted? Or would it be the first seven i have done so todays anat332 would be counted?

Thank you 🤧🤧
I believe that its only the top 6.6x 300s that they count, nothing to do with the order that they've been taken

Fili

Dentist 🦷

Thank you 🤧🤧

Yeah I believe it will be your top ones that will be counted. Just make sure this is a realistic goal for you. It's very difficult to get A+s in 300 level papers especially when your entire semester only consists of 300 level papers.

It might be better doing some 300 and 200. It'll be easier to balance out and be more manageable for higher grades. It's better to have A+ in a few 300 level papers and a few 200 level papers than no A+ at any 300 at all.