Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Entry from Engineering - First Year Papers

Strange, and most interesting... Unless those were the resources for grads that technically met the equivalent knowledge requirements but didn't do the actual papers, or ones that did it a while ago, so they could refresh and make sure they're up with the play before classes start?

Another possibility is that at the end of the day its the admissions committee that make that decision and in no way shape or form would they ever publicise that degrees of certain difficulty get to go through on the basis of their likely academic merit and ability to catch up. For all we know, they could be taking it case by case and sorting it that way. Alternatively in the instance of the guy I spoke to, the system could have wildly changed (they essentially told him in his panel interview that he got in) and back then the comments from the interview panel may have fed directly into the decisions made by the admissions committee. The other alternative is that specific degrees get a pass, however they can't publicise these as they don't want people to use them as pre-med gateways - just spitballing here...

Too many uncertainties and not enough people to ask about it. Thanks for your replies again. In this instance finding out myself through experience is the only way I think; any questions aimed at FMHS will just get you the stock standard copy and paste reply - what actually goes on at the table of the admissions committee could be different.

Cathay

🚂Train Driver🚆
Emeritus Staff
Another possibility is that at the end of the day its the admissions committee that make that decision and in no way shape or form would they ever publicise that degrees of certain difficulty get to go through on the basis of their likely academic merit and ability to catch up. For all we know, they could be taking it case by case and sorting it that way.
I think for grads it'll be considered case by case - it helps that many of them will have done HSFY or Auckland's First Year programme anyways (and missed out on getting in first time) so they'll only have to "case by case" the rest of them.

Alternatively in the instance of the guy I spoke to, the system could have wildly changed (they essentially told him in his panel interview that he got in) and back then the comments from the interview panel may have fed directly into the decisions made by the admissions committee.
I think that's for admission - I still think they first do the admission ("is this a suitable candidate for med school") then go through the "do they need to do First Year before joining Medicine Year 2".

The other alternative is that specific degrees get a pass, however they can't publicise these as they don't want people to use them as pre-med gateways - just spitballing here...
This one is less likely as there is already a pre-med gateway, that's the First Year programme - the first pathway from high school is to go into either HSFY or Auckland First Year (used to be called OLY1 - Overlapping Year 1 - for the fact that the two paths have the overlapping core papers), and try the First Year pathway first. If First Year didn't work out, they could then finish a BSc etc then try again. (Also being cynical, if there's something they can advertise as a pre-med gateway, they'll definitely do it, because that'll make them lots of money in fees when thousands of school leavers sign up to try getting into med - like Otago with their 1200+ HSFY cohorts.)

I think they don't specify because many (most?) of the graduate pathway candidates have done the First Year programme and are trying their luck a second time. Cases such as yourself where you've done a completely different degree and have had a change of direction in life would be uncommon enough to warrant individual assessment.

Too many uncertainties and not enough people to ask about it. Thanks for your replies again. In this instance finding out myself through experience is the only way I think; any questions aimed at FMHS will just get you the stock standard copy and paste reply - what actually goes on at the table of the admissions committee could be different.
Yes - as I suspected it's not a common scenario by any means, so if the FMHS are just giving a copy/paste reply it might just have to be a case of "wait and see". Sorry we couldn't be of more help - and hope it all works out!

Verdigris

baby doctor
Silliest Member 2019
Honestly, just ring and ask. Even better, make an appointment and go in and ask. These people will never give you a proper answer unless you force them to.

I think for grads it'll be considered case by case - it helps that many of them will have done HSFY or Auckland's First Year programme anyways (and missed out on getting in first time) so they'll only have to "case by case" the rest of them.

I think that's for admission - I still think they first do the admission ("is this a suitable candidate for med school") then go through the "do they need to do First Year before joining Medicine Year 2".

This one is less likely as there is already a pre-med gateway, that's the First Year programme - the first pathway from high school is to go into either HSFY or Auckland First Year (used to be called OLY1 - Overlapping Year 1 - for the fact that the two paths have the overlapping core papers), and try the First Year pathway first. If First Year didn't work out, they could then finish a BSc etc then try again. (Also being cynical, if there's something they can advertise as a pre-med gateway, they'll definitely do it, because that'll make them lots of money in fees when thousands of school leavers sign up to try getting into med - like Otago with their 1200+ HSFY cohorts.)

I think they don't specify because many (most?) of the graduate pathway candidates have done the First Year programme and are trying their luck a second time. Cases such as yourself where you've done a completely different degree and have had a change of direction in life would be uncommon enough to warrant individual assessment.

Yes - as I suspected it's not a common scenario by any means, so if the FMHS are just giving a copy/paste reply it might just have to be a case of "wait and see". Sorry we couldn't be of more help - and hope it all works out!

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads