Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Entry Medicine Advice Requests

Deboza

UNSW MD II
You'll likely get better answers from the pagingdr.net forum, MSO is more for undergrad medicine. I'll describe what limited I know.

Your most-recent 3yr GPA is 6.19. For the 10ish GEMSAS grad-entry schools interview selection is by combination of GPA+GAMSAT, the rule-of-thumb formula is [GPA/7.0]+[GAMSAT/100] > 1.xx

I've heard the 1.xx mentioned as 1.62 in some year, so you'll need
[6.19GPA/7.0]+[74GAMSAT/100] = 1.624 to get an interview.

74 GAMSAT being around 98%ile is a tough challenge. Raising GPA to 6.5 reduces GAMSAT to a more reasonable 69 but you'll need Postgrad Y2 near 7.0 for that. Or you can try UCAT to get into 5-yr JMP (I specifically leave out WSU as its required UCAT for non-NSW has gone sky high).
Most GEMSAS universities use weighted GPAs rather than unweighted (yr1 x1, yr2 x2 and yr3 x3 /6) so based on those numbers their GPA is roughly 6.3.
Further they weight grades differently. I.e. a D is worth 6.75, C = 5.75 and so forth.

The r/GAMSAT discord is a great resource for postgrad entry. PD seems to be falling off imo.

A1

Rookie Doc
Most GEMSAS universities use weighted GPAs rather than unweighted (yr1 x1, yr2 x2 and yr3 x3 /6) so based on those numbers their GPA is roughly 6.3.
That's true, thanks for the correction.

Further they weight grades differently. I.e. a D is worth 6.75, C = 5.75 and so forth.
Afaik this^ applies to one particular uni UQ, whose transcripts only show the grade notations, no numeirc marks.

For all other unis (with numeric marks shown in their transcripts) it's GEMSAS column A ie. 80+= 7, 75-79= 6.5, 70-74= 6 etc.

Deboza

UNSW MD II
That's true, thanks for the correction.

Afaik this^ applies to one particular uni UQ, whose transcripts only show the grade notations, no numeirc marks.

For all other unis (with numeric marks shown) it's GEMSAS column A ie. 80+= 7, 75-79= 6.5, 70-74= 6 etc.
When I applied via GEMSAS my GPA was based off of the HD7, D6.75 etc system - I studied in SA.
Guess without knowing where the UG degree was done, hard to say for certain what the gpa was.

==============================
A1 replies: Bottom of Gemsas Guide appendix B says
# If you have a percentage mark ... use column A (numeric marks) to read off the corresponding GPA grade.
(Thus HD or D is actually not used in these cases).

The unis have D as one grade bracket, GEMSAS splits it into two. You may have had equal numbers of upper Ds & lower Ds, for example one 82 D and one 78 D. Gemsas gave 7 for the 82 & 6.5 for the 78, thus 13.5 for these two units. Which also made it appear like Gemsas gave two D6.75s = 13.5.

(Not me trying to win an argument point, only hoping to help other applicants understand). 🥴🥴

Last edited:
Hi, currently entering Y2 of HMS (adv) at adl uni and wondering if its worth going in to the hassle of studying for GAMSAT in hopes of doing well and finishing my degree to enter postgrad (end up finishing in 7 years like im supposed to) or doing UCAT again in hopes of lateral entry to adl uni med (would finish in 8 years). I know that the March sitting is still open and with 2 months left I'm wondering if its still worth trying with such little time (and UCAT is in July/August).

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads