• MSO wishes the best of luck to all users with upcoming interviews! For those interviewing at universities that do not have applicants sign an NDA, it would be greatly appreciated if you could send me (Crow) a PM with your interview questions to help future users. These will not be shared publicly until all interviews for that university have been completed. Cheers! ETA: Please check out our new Interview Portal!

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Entry Medicine Advice Requests

LMG!

Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018
Hey guys, just looking for some advice. I’ve been doing some research and it looks like quite a few unis have changed their prerequisites to requiring anatomy, physiology and biochem at a second year uni level to be completed. I’m currently in nursing and the nursing courses dont fit the prerequisite requirements. Anyone have any advice on what other health degrees I can look into? I have considered biomed etc however I would really like to complete an undergrad that I’m guaranteed a job in
In addition to what A1 has already replied, don’t forget you can also apply to JMP, WSU, UNSW, JCU, and once you complete your degree Curtin (and UTAS in a couple more years), none of whom have university level pre-requisites.

Rhd1

Lurker
Will unis accept a fast-tracked nursing degree (2 years) for post-grad med? I was wondering if its easier to get a higher gpa in nursing or midwifery , if anyone has experience with WSU/UTS?

Thanks

LMG!

Will unis accept a fast-tracked nursing degree (2 years) for post-grad med? I was wondering if its easier to get a higher gpa in nursing or midwifery , if anyone has experience with WSU/UTS?

Thanks
Yes, I believe most do, however some specify that you have to apply with a completed degree which would mean you can’t effectively shorten the time until you’re eligible for Grad Med at those specific universities.

I have a friend who had a completed teaching degree, but then did one year of nursing, achieved a 7.00 GPA and used that to get a place in undergrad Med. What is an ‘easy’ degree to obtain a competitive GPA (particularly over the entire duration of a degree as is needed for Grad Med) really will vary from person to person.

TEchi

Lurker
Yes, I believe most do, however some specify that you have to apply with a completed degree which would mean you can’t effectively shorten the time until you’re eligible for Grad Med at those specific universities.

I have a friend who had a completed teaching degree, but then did one year of nursing, achieved a 7.00 GPA and used that to get a place in undergrad Med. What is an ‘easy’ degree to obtain a competitive GPA (particularly over the entire duration of a degree as is needed for Grad Med) really will vary from person to person.
Hey LMG, wanting to know which uni's don't require completed Bachelor's degree. I already have Bachelor's degree with Honours but GPA is not good. I am hoping to to do 1 year of a Bachelors to get my GPA as high as possible. Thank you for your help.

A1

Admissions Speculator
Hey LMG, wanting to know which uni's don't require completed Bachelor's degree. I already have Bachelor's degree with Honours but GPA is not good. I am hoping to to do 1 year of a Bachelors to get my GPA as high as possible. Thank you for your help.
Four unis JMP WSU UNSW JCU don't require a completed degree, however that is not to say they all will use the new partial degree's GPA.

I understand JMP will use the new GPA if you have done 1 FTE (by end of the year you apply). Funny thing here is your Hons degree makes you eligible for JMP regardless of its GPA, if you do 1 FTE of a new degree then you will need its GPA 4.7+. Since it's a hurdle requirement getting 6 or 7 doesn't improve your offer chances. Iow starting a new degree doesn't help in any way toward JMP.

For the other three unis I don't know whether they use the old or the new GPA. Maybe LMG! or Crow can help clarify.

TEchi

Lurker
Hi guys, wanting some advice on how to bump up my GPA. I have just finished B Pharmacy (Honours) with a GPA of 5 out of 7 and I will be doing my intern year in 2020. I also want to do a grad cert to bump up my GPA next year and apply for med for 2021. As I understand most uni's will accept grad certs, so will they only look at my grad cert GPA or everything I have studied? Any further information will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

LMG!

Hi guys, wanting some advice on how to bump up my GPA. I have just finished B Pharmacy (Honours) with a GPA of 5 out of 7 and I will be doing my intern year in 2020. I also want to do a grad cert to bump up my GPA next year and apply for med for 2021. As I understand most uni's will accept grad certs, so will they only look at my grad cert GPA or everything I have studied? Any further information will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Most graduate entry unis will continue to use your bachelor degree GPA, I think, even once you’ve completed additional study.

JMP (undergrad/non-standard) would use your new GPA, but your current is already high enough. WSU would also use your updated GPA, but your honours degree makes you automatically eligible there already.

If there’s any way for you to do the grad cert at Flinders (if you’re not in SA, maybe an online option?), then that opens up the Flinders grad Med pathway whereby they preference their own current students.

ETA: I’ve just had another look at the GEMSAS guide as I had a funny feeling about Grad Certs not being recognised. I think this might be the case, as the guide lists only Grad Dips for the universities that will consider postgraduate degrees:

“Who uses postgraduate study?
The following schools use postgraduate study in GPA calculations –
 UWA, who use the most recent three years FTE of results regardless of whether they are complete (except honours which must be complete). Please see school entry for a list of the type of study included in the GPA.
 UQ, who accept completed postgraduate degrees (Graduate Diplomas, Postgraduate Diplomas, Masters, Doctoral
and PhDs) as standalone qualifying/key degrees.
 Griffith will calculate the GPA using the most recently completed qualifying/key degree/s (a Masters by
coursework; Masters by Research; or PhD) if completed by 31 July, 2019. Griffith allocates an overall GPA of 7.00 for completed PhDs and a 7.00 for each full time year of a completed Masters by Research (up to a maximum duration of two years). To complete the 3-FTE years of study when using a Masters degree, the next most recently qualifying/key degree final year/s will be included as required.
 ANU will include Honours and Masters by Coursework results in the 3-year GPA calculation if the degree is completed or due to be completed by 31 December in the year of application.
 Macquarie University will calculate a GPA including Graduate Diploma and Coursework Masters, if this degree will be completed by 31 December the year of application. Completed Research Masters and PhD will be used in GPA calculations.
 The University of Notre Dame Australia, Fremantle and Sydney, will calculate the GPA on the most recently completed 3-FTE years of study including qualifications at Graduate Diploma, and Masters by coursework level, if completed by 31 July 2019.”

Last edited:

TEchi

Lurker
Thank you fro the reply. So I was reading JCU handbook it say 'The most recent course GPA (Grade Point Average) score will be used to rank applicants who have commenced or completed tertiary studies' does this mean any GPA I generate after my Bachelors? Also if I complete two Bachelors will QTAC look at both to generate GPA or just the one. I talked to QTAC yesterday and they said in some cases they use one of the degree to calculate GPA and some cases more than one, didn't tell why the difference. Thank you

LMG!

Thank you fro the reply. So I was reading JCU handbook it say 'The most recent course GPA (Grade Point Average) score will be used to rank applicants who have commenced or completed tertiary studies' does this mean any GPA I generate after my Bachelors? Also if I complete two Bachelors will QTAC look at both to generate GPA or just the one. I talked to QTAC yesterday and they said in some cases they use one of the degree to calculate GPA and some cases more than one, didn't tell why the difference. Thank you
I just added some info to my first reply.

Re. JCU, that wording does suggest they’d use a grad cert though you’d probably want to get written confirmation.

If you complete 2 bachelor degrees, then, for medicine specifically, only the second will be used to determine your GPA (for, say, JCU non-standard, Bond grad, UQ grad, and Griffith grad) - given you referenced QTAC.

If you’ve only done one or two years of the second bachelor degree, that’s when a combo of both degrees could possibly be used for entry into some courses (though not Med, I don’t think - don’t forget QTAC deal with all degrees, not just Med). For example, a course might use ‘the last three years of tertiary study’ which would take in both degrees of the second wasn’t complete.

But given grad med requires completed bachelor degrees, I can’t think of a scenario where they’d combine the two.

cake

Lurker
Hi,
I'm wanting to complete my BSc(Biomed) from the University of Auckland, in New Zealand, and then applying for graduate entry both in New Zealand.
But I have no idea how graduate entry works in Australia, especially in my case.

Could someone enlighten me on this subject haha :))
thanks so much

A1

Admissions Speculator
Hi,
I'm wanting to complete my BSc(Biomed) from the University of Auckland, in New Zealand, and then applying for graduate entry both in New Zealand.
But I have no idea how graduate entry works in Australia, especially in my case.

Could someone enlighten me on this subject haha :))
thanks so much
You can sit GAMSAT apply to these 10 GEMSAS schools > http://gemsas.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/2020-Medicine-GEMSAS-Admissions-Guide-v1.6-1.pdf
plus USyd & Filnders that are not in this consortium.

Although being a graduate you can also sit UCAT apply to 5 undergrad schools JCU JMP WSU UNSW Curtin. It'd take pages of writing to give you all the ins & outs, you need to read up first then ask us specific questions. Good luck.

jfa01

Hello,
I was on paging.dr and I am wondering what the GPA's on the offers are...do they include the add ons (eg. a 5 becomes a 5.75), or is there nothing added on?

Thanks in advance :)

chinaski

Hello,
I was on paging.dr and I am wondering what the GPA's on the offers are...do they include the add ons (eg. a 5 becomes a 5.75), or is there nothing added on?

You appear to have mistaken this forum for the Paging Dr helpdesk. Perhaps ask in a more appropriate place (ie Paging Dr itself)?

A1

Admissions Speculator
Hello,

Most would be showing their GEMSAS GPA (i.e. except those applying to non-GEMSAS USyd for example) so includes the "add ons".

It's actually more of a re-alignment to GEMSAS scale. A UNSW Credit 5 has a mark between 65 & 74; if it's 65-69 Gemsas gives 5.5, if 70-74 Gemsas gives 6. Since a UQ Credit doesn't show a percentage mark Gemsas gives it the midpoint 5.75.

Gemsik121

Hi, I I enrolled in my semester 1 university subjects in 2018, but due to family reasons, I was required to take a formal leave of absence which resulted in me receiving a Withdraw, Fail (WF) grade for 4 topics of semester 1, 2018 due to withdrawing after the census date. However, I have re-commenced my full-time study as a first-year student this year (2019) and have repeated those exact 4 topics along with my semester 2 topics and received mainly High Distinctions and Distinctions. Would my GPA for first year be calculated using both the 2018 and 2019 mark even though the same 4 topics were repeated in 2019 or simply be calculated using the 2019 results?

According to the GEMSAS GPA guideline, the GPA is calculated from the last three full-time equivalent years of study. Therefore, it is my understanding that if I apply in 2021 for entry into postgraduate medicine for 2022, my GPA from 2019, 2020 and 2021 will be used (as I will be a full-time student completing the undergraduate component of my course). Thus, would my 2018 WF impact my weighted GPA or would my grades from 2019-2021 make up my overall weighted GPA for the GEMSAS universities?

I understand that the advice given will not be applicable to every university but I am just enquiring regarding the universities that participate in GEMSAS as those universities use the last 3 years FTE of study in the key degree, so would the 2018 WF grades be ignored ?

Crow

Moderator Band
Hi, I I enrolled in my semester 1 university subjects in 2018, but due to family reasons, I was required to take a formal leave of absence which resulted in me receiving a Withdraw, Fail (WF) grade for 4 topics of semester 1, 2018 due to withdrawing after the census date. However, I have re-commenced my full-time study as a first-year student this year (2019) and have repeated those exact 4 topics along with my semester 2 topics and received mainly High Distinctions and Distinctions. Would my GPA for first year be calculated using both the 2018 and 2019 mark even though the same 4 topics were repeated in 2019 or simply be calculated using the 2019 results?

According to the GEMSAS GPA guideline, the GPA is calculated from the last three full-time equivalent years of study. Therefore, it is my understanding that if I apply in 2021 for entry into postgraduate medicine for 2022, my GPA from 2019, 2020 and 2021 will be used (as I will be a full-time student completing the undergraduate component of my course). Thus, would my 2018 WF impact my weighted GPA or would my grades from 2019-2021 make up my overall weighted GPA for the GEMSAS universities?

I understand that the advice given will not be applicable to every university but I am just enquiring regarding the universities that participate in GEMSAS as those universities use the last 3 years FTE of study in the key degree, so would the 2018 WF grades be ignored ?
I believe that GEMSAS will only use your results from 2019, 2020 and 2021 if these add up to a minimum of 3FTE years of study. However, it would be best to contact GEMSAS directly and have them confirm this.

Gemsik121

I believe that GEMSAS will only use your results from 2019, 2020 and 2021 if these add up to a minimum of 3FTE years of study. However, it would be best to contact GEMSAS directly and have them confirm this.
Thanks for the quick response Crow! As I have done first year of full time study this year and plan on studying full time for the next two years, they will add up to a minimum of 3FTE years of study. When I contacted GEMSAS, they said some unis will include the WF grade, such as University of Queensland and Flinders. But according to the person who responsed to my email from GEMSAS " For those who use the last 3 years FTE of study in the key degree, the failed subjects may be ignored". Sorry to bother you again but are u aware of which unis will disregard the WF grades and only look at the last 3 years of FTE study?

Crow

Moderator Band
Thanks for the quick response Crow! As I have done first year of full time study this year and plan on studying full time for the next two years, they will add up to a minimum of 3FTE years of study. When I contacted GEMSAS, they said some unis will include the WF grade, such as University of Queensland and Flinders. But according to the person who responsed to my email from GEMSAS " For those who use the last 3 years FTE of study in the key degree, the failed subjects may be ignored". Sorry to bother you again but are u aware of which unis will disregard the WF grades and only look at the last 3 years of FTE study?
I don’t sorry, but that definitely sounds like a question for GEMSAS. Though, I’m guessing you got the info about Flinders from a different source, seeing as it’s not a GEMSAS school?

sesh

Lurker
I am doing the second year in uni Melb my GPA as per gamsat is 5.1 only ( due to low marks in the language paper(less than 50) in my ist year) my gamsat overall is 81.
I am working hard to increase my GPA as much as possible in my third year, any advice about whether is there any chance for me to study medicine.