Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Entry Medicine Advice Requests

Enora

Lurker
Thanks very much! Crow. I went through the information of JMP-Newcastle. It is the best choice for me. Thanks again for your time. Could you please give me some advice to prepare the UCAT test?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thanks very much! Crow. I went through the information of JMP-Newcastle. It is the best choice for me. Thanks again for your time. Could you please give me some advice to prepare the UCAT test?
Given it’s a new test in Australia we don’t have much information on it yet, unfortunately. Check out our UCAT sub-forum for some discussion about UCAT preparation and resources: UCAT

Best of luck with the JMP! :)

Hi Guys,

I am new here. I have finished my Honours about a year ago in 2017. Using GEMSAS my GPA came out to be 6.12 (weighted) and 5.96 (unweighted). I have done the gamsat last year but only got a 50. I will be doing the GAMSAT in march again. I was just wondering if someone could give any suggestion on whether having a gpa of 6.12 (weighted) is competitive enough? If GAMSAT isn't viable for me, would a UCAT be more viable? (with ATAR 79).

If its gonna be impossible to get in med my results i would rather not do another undergrad. I would most likely try to get into dentistry/optom if dent/optom would be easier to get into, any suggestion would help a lot guys, thanks!

A1

Rookie Doc
I am new here. I have finished my Honours about a year ago in 2017. Using GEMSAS my GPA came out to be 6.12 (weighted) and 5.96 (unweighted). I have done the gamsat last year but only got a 50. I will be doing the GAMSAT in march again. I was just wondering if someone could give any suggestion on whether having a gpa of 6.12 (weighted) is competitive enough? If GAMSAT isn't viable for me, would a UCAT be more viable? (with ATAR 79).

If its gonna be impossible to get in med my results i would rather not do another undergrad. I would most likely try to get into dentistry/optom if dent/optom would be easier to get into, any suggestion would help a lot guys, thanks!

Hi welcome to MSO. I believe you will need GAMSAT mid-high 70s for combo >1.60 to have a decent chance with GEMSAS. You can also try the UCAT to apply to WSU, JMP and Curtin. With WSU's GPA hurdle 5.6 and JMP's hurdle 4.3 selection for interview/place offer is based entirely on your UMAT/UCAT score then on your interview score.

UNSW is available in general but unfortunately not with ATAR 79. See this table for more info
> [Undergrad] - (2018 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

Hi, Thank yo so much A1. That is a really helpful table. I will be doing the UCAT after i sit the GAMSAT in march lol.
I have been thinking of FFP if i cant qualify for CSP/BMP.
Is the GAMSAT score requirement lower for FFP?

greengem

MD III
I'm trying to register for paging Dr but it tells me my answers to all three verification questions are wrong (even though they are right hahaha) is there another way to register please?

Thanks

julius

Lurker
hi there. I’ve just graduated from Curtin University with a biomedical science and I had planned to do honours to boost my GPA from 5.9, with the hopes of getting a first class honours and getting bumped up to 7 GPA as the gemsas hand book states. But I don’t know if that would be a wise choice. I’m planning on doing GAMSAT September and July UMAT for Curtin.

I’m really open to any other options that would help me get there.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
hi there. I’ve just graduated from Curtin University with a biomedical science and I had planned to do honours to boost my GPA from 5.9, with the hopes of getting a first class honours and getting bumped up to 7 GPA as the gemsas hand book states. But I don’t know if that would be a wise choice. I’m planning on doing GAMSAT September and July UMAT for Curtin.

I’m really open to any other options that would help me get there.
Welcome to MSO! :) Have you calculated what your GEMSAS GPA will come out as if you achieve a first class honours? Have you sat GAMSAT before? To be honest, I can’t see graduate entry being a particularly viable option for you even if you do receive a first class (assuming you’re a non-rural candidate) - you’d need to either have an outstanding GAMSAT and aim for UQ or USyd (which both only consider GPA as a hurdle) or possibly aim for a portfolio school if you have a strong background.

Sitting the UCAT and aiming for entry to the schools that accept non-standard applications (UNSW, WSU, JMP, JCU, Bond and Curtin) will also increase your chances of getting into medical school somewhere in Australia, as you’ve pointed out.

You may also wish to complete your honours at Flinders (depending on your own personal circumstances) to gain entry into their subquota as they have relatively lower entry requirements.

Personally, I wouldn’t recommend doing honours solely to increase your GPA - my belief is that any further study you complete should be under its own merits and provide an alternative career path should you never gain entry to medicine (assuming you don’t already have a solid career - naturally your specific circumstances will change my advice).

Kazza19

Lurker
Hi Everyone,

I have successfully finished my first year of Biomedical Science (gpa 6.125) and this year I’m doing my second year. But I’m thinking of transferring to a different University in semester 2 2019 second year as I heard from someone that postgraduate medicine courses discriminate between what University you are coming from. For example it’s more likely for a Monash or Deakin Biomedical Science student to get into Medicine compared to a student from a University that is not very “distinguished” or “popular”. Can someone please tell me if this is true or not.

P.S I know my gpa (6.125) is not competitive enough for Medicine but I have two years of my degree left which I can work on to push my gpa to a 6.7 and hopefully I’ll be sitting the GAMSAT in September 2019. Lastly, what is a competitive gpa and GAMSAT score for a good chance at getting into Medicine? Thank you in advance for your replies!

chinaski

But I’m thinking of transferring to a different University in semester 2 2019 second year as I heard from someone that postgraduate medicine courses discriminate between what University you are coming from. For example it’s more likely for a Monash or Deakin Biomedical Science student to get into Medicine compared to a student from a University that is not very “distinguished” or “popular”. Can someone please tell me if this is true or not.

It's not.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi Everyone,

I have successfully finished my first year of Biomedical Science (gpa 6.125) and this year I’m doing my second year. But I’m thinking of transferring to a different University in semester 2 2019 second year as I heard from someone that postgraduate medicine courses discriminate between what University you are coming from. For example it’s more likely for a Monash or Deakin Biomedical Science student to get into Medicine compared to a student from a University that is not very “distinguished” or “popular”. Can someone please tell me if this is true or not.

P.S I know my gpa (6.125) is not competitive enough for Medicine but I have two years of my degree left which I can work on to push my gpa to a 6.7 and hopefully I’ll be sitting the GAMSAT in September 2019. Lastly, what is a competitive gpa and GAMSAT score for a good chance at getting into Medicine? Thank you in advance for your replies!
First, I recommend you read this thread (specifically pitfall #2): Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants.

Monash graduate entry is exclusive to students studying at Monash, so yes, you definitely have a higher chance of getting into Monash if you’re doing your undergrad in biomed/science/pharmacy/Physio there as your undergrad degree. Similarly, Deakin awards bonus points to students who did their undergrad at Deakin when they apply for graduate entry medicine there. I assume these advantages are what you are referring to above.

As for competitive scores, it varies from year to year - I recommend you sign up for PagingDr and check out the offers forums for the scores that landed past users offers (keeping in mind you must do your research before posting there - if you ask the “what GPA and GAMSAT do I need” question it will be deleted). As a guide, a 6.8/68 GPA/GAMSAT combo (obviously a higher score in one can offset a lower in the other) is probably enough to get you an interview at most, if not all, GEMSAS unis (excluding the portfolio unis).

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Hi Everyone,

As per mentioned above the only University which outrighhtly accepts only their own graduates is Monash. Other universities have bonuses for their own students, or quotas, but there is nothing like you describe.

With the entry process becoming increasingly competitive I'd be aiming for a GAMSAT score of ~70+ with a GPA of 6.7+. Obviously there's some give or take depending on which score is higher. Luckily most unis use a weighted GPA system so if you improve your scores over the next two years you can balance our your GPA.

Is your degree 3 or 4 years? If it's the latter your first year won't count in your GPA calculation anyway, and it will be years 2, 3 and the 1st semester of your 4th year.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
As per mentioned above the only University which outrighhtly accepts only their own graduates is Monash.
Well, there’s also Flinders - the GAMSAT cutoff to receive an interview for non-Flinders grads in the past two years has been 76 and there’s been 0 place offers made to people in that category - it’s basically only an option for 1%> of applicants who aren’t graduating from there.

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Well, there’s also Flinders - the GAMSAT cutoff to receive an interview for non-Flinders grads in the past two years has been 76 and there’s been 0 place offers made to people in that category - it’s basically only an option for 1%> of applicants who aren’t graduating from there.

That's true, but they also have a preference for rural students who have not studied there, hence why I didn't include them in my comment. You can gain entry there by being a rural student who is a non-Flinders degree holder.

Nicole563

Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding GPA calculations. I have just received my official transcript for my completed undergraduate degree and was trying to work out my GPA according to GEMSAS. I have two fails (level 2) from my first year of study. The units were then repeated in my second year of study. Do I include the fails into my GPA calculations as I will then have 26 units instead of 24? Also do I start grouping units into GPA years starting from last completed or first completed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank you Nicole.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding GPA calculations. I have just received my official transcript for my completed undergraduate degree and was trying to work out my GPA according to GEMSAS. I have two fails (level 2) from my first year of study. The units were then repeated in my second year of study. Do I include the fails into my GPA calculations as I will then have 26 units instead of 24? Also do I start grouping units into GPA years starting from last completed or first completed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank you Nicole.
I’d contact GEMSAS directly for this one. I believe they’d incorporate the failed units in your final year -2 GPA but definitely best to check with them (and please report back here when they reply!).

GPA years aren’t grouped as 1-3, rather they’re grouped as final year, final year -1 and final year -2.

Nicole563

I’d contact GEMSAS directly for this one. I believe they’d incorporate the failed units in your final year -2 GPA but definitely best to check with them (and please report back here when they reply!).

GPA years aren’t grouped as 1-3, rather they’re grouped as final year, final year -1 and final year -2.

Hi thanks for your advice, I contacted GEMSAS this is the reply I got..

Dear Nicole,

We generally will use the most recent 3 years of full-time equivalent study. So if you've overloaded, as a general principle we'll drop the lowest-scoring subjects from the first semester of study - if these happen to be your failed subjects then they will be dropped.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi thanks for your advice, I contacted GEMSAS this is the reply I got..

Dear Nicole,

We generally will use the most recent 3 years of full-time equivalent study. So if you've overloaded, as a general principle we'll drop the lowest-scoring subjects from the first semester of study - if these happen to be your failed subjects then they will be dropped.
Great news! Thanks for passing that on :)