Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Entry Medicine Advice Requests

A1

Rookie Doc

chinaski

Also, what if you graduate from uni with a bachelor's degree in something like nursing and have started working already, but you are interested in doing med? How would it work from there?

You sit GAMSAT and apply for graduate entry medicine. As you can imagine, graduate entry students come from a broad array of backgrounds, and not uncommonly have pursued careers prior to medicine. That was kind of one of the points to the inception of graduate entry!

chinaski

Nope, none. Suggest you join PagingDr, there's copious amount of information for questions concerning graduate medicine pathway.

Though be warned - PD does not provide a concierge service - there is an expectation that you do basic background reading rather than asking for everything to be explained to you from scratch.

zx72ksq8o

Hi, is it possible to be in uni or have a bachelor's degree and sit the UCAT / get into med with a UCAT score? Is this a different pathway to sitting the GAMSAT? Which unis do this?

Is it still called graduate entry if you do the UCAT instead of the GAMSAT?

sorry i have no clue how this works

L

Logic

Hi, is it possible to be in uni or have a bachelor's degree and sit the UCAT / get into med with a UCAT score? Is this a different pathway to sitting the GAMSAT? Which unis do this?
Yes, this is known as the non-standard pathway. You can sit the UCAT and apply to UNSW, WSU and the JMP while completing or already having a bachelors degree (from any uni). Curtin Uni you can apply while completing a bachelors if you are a student there. If you are not, you can only apply after completing a degree from any other university. Additionally, you can also apply to JCU and Bond (the latter of which is full fee). These are completely separate from the GAMSAT entry universities (i.e. the graduate pathway). Hopefully that made sense, let me know if you have additional questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

zx72ksq8o

Wow, there are so many more pathways into med than i thought!

So they take UCAT and an interview - not GPA or ATAR?

Also, are you competing with the undergraduate cohort or the postgraduate cohort if you enter non-standard?

L

Logic

Also, are you competing with the undergraduate cohort or the postgraduate cohort if you enter non-standard?
Apologies, I read your question wrong. For UNSW, JMP, WSU and Bond all applicants are competing together (i.e. theres no separate quota for non-standards). JCU has a small quota for non-standards (I think) as do Curtin.

zx72ksq8o

I have a few more questions (sorry and thanks tonnes btw):
1. Does rural entry apply for this
2. Which unis use GPA and which use ATAR
3. Do WSU and JMP use hurdles and UNSW, JCU and Bond use aggregate scores
4. What if your atar is sort of gross - do they use GPA in this case? Also do the "adjustment factors" even work anymore once you leave year 12?

5. How long are your atar results valid for / how many times can you attempt to get in using your atar
6. How long is your GPA valid for once you graduate with a bachelors degree?
7. Why do less people do this pathway as to the GAMSAMT one?

chinaski

You appear to be misunderstanding: this is not an alternative pathway for graduate entry schools. This is a pathway for a limited amount of courses who accept largely school leavers, who will also take in "non-standard" (ie people with a history of university studies) applicants.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

It would be possible to rationalise that MORE people attempt this entry method than the GAMSAT route as it's open to ANYONE with a tertiary record, not just those with COMPLETED degrees as GAMSAT is. Therefore, theoretically, everyone who applies via GAMSAT can (and frequently does) apply via non-standard routes, also, and then those that have started university ONLY have the non-standard route available to them.

It's not a one or the other option. It's two different routes and you can try both if you have a completed degree. You'll also find that many people applying via sitting the GAMSAT have already attempted non-standard entry a couple of times prior to completing their degree. It's not a secret!! I was successful via the non-standard pathway.

Answers to all of your questions have been discussed multiple times over here at MSO, so I suggest you do some reading and searching.

A1

Rookie Doc
I have a few more questions (sorry and thanks tonnes btw):
1. Does rural entry apply for this
2. Which unis use GPA and which use ATAR
3. Do WSU and JMP use hurdles and UNSW, JCU and Bond use aggregate scores
4. What if your atar is sort of gross - do they use GPA in this case? Also do the "adjustment factors" even work anymore once you leave year 12?

5. How long are your atar results valid for / how many times can you attempt to get in using your atar
6. How long is your GPA valid for once you graduate with a bachelors degree?

From your questions it seems you are a complete novice so let me start with this first.

-- There are 8 undergrad med schools JCU, JMP, WSU, UNSW, Monash, UTas, Adelaide, Curtin - undergrad means you don't necessarily need a Bach degree to start med and they don't use GAMSAT. All except JCU require UCAT.

-- There are a dozen or so graduate med schools requiring a Bach degree or higher to enter. All require you to sit GAMSAT, their selection criteria are various combinations of GPA + GAMSAT + Portfolio + Interview.

-- Of these grad schools six schools UQ, Griffith, USyd, UoM, Flinders, UWA make provisional offers to school leavers. Provisional in the sense graduate med but offers made *before* they even start a Bach degree.

Back to your questions:

1. Virtually all schools have a rural entry pathway, a few exceptions are the provisional offers from Griffith, USyd, UoM, Flinders.

2 to 4. Have a good read of this table especially the Weighting columns and Non-standard section, then come back if you still have questions
> [Undergrad] - (2019 Updated) Med schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards

5 & 6. Your ATAR & GPA are themselves for life. It's up to the individual unis/schools to specify their validity periods. See the Non-standard section above for undergrad schools, google GEMSAS Guide for grad schools (most only accept GPA less than 10yo).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
A1, also, for a number of your responses... Bond University :D You do like to leave them off your lists, though! Haha!

A1 replies: I have a perfect reason for this. Browse through the Post UCAT Results thread with all those "What are my chances at ..." posts, tell me how many have put Bond in the list of schools they're applying to ;)

LMG counter-replies: And watch how many applicants pop up once CSP/BMP offers have gone out and they don't have one!

Last edited:

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
A1, also, for a number of your responses... Bond University :D You do like to leave them off your lists, though! Haha!

A1 replies: I have a perfect reason for this. Browse through the Post UCAT Results thread with all those "What are my chances at ..." posts, tell me how many have put Bond in the list of schools they're applying to ;)

LMG counter-replies: And watch how many applicants pop up once CSP/BMP offers have gone out and they don't have one!
Has anyone EVER rejected a non-Bond offer for a Bond one? Or is it simply not possible due to when Bond interviews are held (February I think?)?

Oh yeah, what about the FFP UniMelb medicine pathway? Isn't it also in the ballpark of 300k in fees? I see it rarely mentioned here.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Has anyone EVER rejected a non-Bond offer for a Bond one? Or is it simply not possible due to when Bond interviews are held (February I think?)?

Oh yeah, what about the FFP UniMelb medicine pathway? Isn't it also in the ballpark of 300k in fees? I see it rarely mentioned here.

The UMelb pathway is quoted quite a bit, actually. Probably #becauseprestige :D

But don't be mistaken, Bond is ALWAYS oversubscribed and they have no worries attracting either applicants or enrolled students and the Bond activity on MSO is actually pretty consistent.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Small clarification to add here: Bond do have separate quotas for graduates vs non-graduates, but not for non-standards vs school leavers.

And LOL at the above - you might also notice that I very frequently leave Bond off my “lists” also ;)

Hey guys, just looking for some advice. I’ve been doing some research and it looks like quite a few unis have changed their prerequisites to requiring anatomy, physiology and biochem at a second year uni level to be completed. I’m currently in nursing and the nursing courses dont fit the prerequisite requirements. Anyone have any advice on what other health degrees I can look into? I have considered biomed etc however I would really like to complete an undergrad that I’m guaranteed a job in

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey guys, just looking for some advice. I’ve been doing some research and it looks like quite a few unis have changed their prerequisites

Afaik only two out of the 11 graduate med schools have these prereqs - UoM has for a long time and UQ this or next year. Without prereqs you still have 9 other choices. (I'm not counting MQ in as it's all full-fee not suitable for the majority of applicants).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hey guys, just looking for some advice. I’ve been doing some research and it looks like quite a few unis have changed their prerequisites to requiring anatomy, physiology and biochem at a second year uni level to be completed. I’m currently in nursing and the nursing courses dont fit the prerequisite requirements. Anyone have any advice on what other health degrees I can look into? I have considered biomed etc however I would really like to complete an undergrad that I’m guaranteed a job in

In addition to what A1 has already replied, don’t forget you can also apply to JMP, WSU, UNSW, JCU, and once you complete your degree Curtin (and UTAS in a couple more years), none of whom have university level pre-requisites.