Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Entry Medicine Advice Requests

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Are there any course prerequisites for post-grad medicine mainly Usyd, Macquarie, Wollongong and Notre Dame, and would they be satisfied by the completion of a Bachelor of Vision Science at UNSW?
None of those have pre-reqs (maybe Macquarie does but I haven’t looked into it because it’s $$$$).

jfa01

Hello,
I was on pagingdr and was looking at the kind of results I need to get into certain universities. I was wondering if international students get lower GPA and GAMSAT cuttofs? I might be wrong but to me it seemed like local students generally had higher results?

chinaski

Different groups, different quotas, different cut off requirements. Comparing the two is pointless as they don't compete against each other for entry, nor is anyone eligible to apply to both groups.

A1

Rookie Doc
Hello,
I was on pagingdr and was looking at the kind of results I need to get into certain universities. I was wondering if international students get lower GPA and GAMSAT cuttofs? I might be wrong but to me it seemed like local students generally had higher results?

The med schools don't determine the cutoff for local or int'l students, it simply results from the amount of competition. If a school offers say 200 places for local students and 1000 apply, versus 40 int'l places and 100 apply, the latter will likely have a lower cutoff.

Just an FYI that I didn't know where to post:

Just an FYI:

So the way UQ is actually doing their scores post interviews is much simpler than I think most of us would have thought.

GPA is just converted into a percentage and you get that out of 25%.

GAMSAT is just your score out of 25% i.e. 63 average score = 0.63*25 %

Then your interview is /48 and essentially that is your % for interview.

So if you can get an interview (and do well) anywhere and hit some lower gpa/gamsat hurdles - You have a great chance at UQ.

They don't really give much currency to GPA or GAMSAT anymore. Interview is everything

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Just an FYI that I didn't know where to post:

Just an FYI:

So the way UQ is actually doing their scores post interviews is much simpler than I think most of us would have thought.

GPA is just converted into a percentage and you get that out of 25%.

GAMSAT is just your score out of 25% i.e. 63 average score = 0.63*25 %

Then your interview is /48 and essentially that is your % for interview.

So if you can get an interview (and do well) anywhere and hit some lower gpa/gamsat hurdles - You have a great chance at UQ.

They don't really give much currency to GPA or GAMSAT anymore. Interview is everything

So, to confirm, it's 25/25/50 (GPA/GAMSAT/Interview) for a PLACE OFFER. Do you happen to know how they will determine who gets an interview (besides GEMSAS preferences, obviously)?

So, to confirm, it's 25/25/50 (GPA/GAMSAT/Interview) for a PLACE OFFER. Do you happen to know how they will determine who gets an interview (besides GEMSAS preferences, obviously)?
GPA of 5 hurdle and if you get interview anywhere, you are in the running.

Difference between GPA of 5 and 7 in this system is 25%. 6.25% in final calculation.

Difference between gamsat of 63 and 74 in this system is 11%. 2.75% in final calculation.

If you improve your gamsat by 4 points, it is only equal to 1 mark on one station in your interview.

Yes for a place offer (math is completely broken) but i don't know if interviews are normalized between centres that you might be better served placing a different university lower and interviewing there.

For interviews - It is simply be above a 5 and then ranked on GAMSAT. Cutoff this year I believe to be 66.3333. If you do not make this cutoff but interview elsewhere, you are still eligible for an offer.

Are you certain of this? If so, it’s the only uni in the GEMSAS consortium that allows that.
Quite certain.

No one knew of a person below a 66.333 for interview but people who interviewed elsewhere got in with 64s. This is most likely due to the scuffed GAMSAT weighting (partly why i was interested in the curtin situation).

There was alot of weird cases where candidates with UQ 4th-6th preference who interviewed at UNDS or something, got UQ.

Last edited:

A1

Rookie Doc
If you do not make this cutoff but interview elsewhere, you are still eligible for an offer.

I thought there was a GEMSAS rule that if you were invited to interview at a lower-pref school you would not be back considered for place offer at the higher-prefs?

I thought there was a GEMSAS rule that if you were invited to interview at a lower-pref school you would not be back considered for place offer at the higher-prefs?

I mean they interviewed at like UNDS or something at higher pref then got UQ at a lower pref.

A1

Rookie Doc
You would not have thought it would happen like this in the context of previous UQ cutoffs for entry however.

That's simply because previously UQ didn't hold interviews. Their 1st-round place offers came out around the time the other schools were only inviting for interviews, thus mucking up the Gemsas preferencing process.

Hi,
I'm just wondering, (I'm going to apply for graduate medicine in 2023 (just finished high school)), is it possible to do the GAMSAT as early as this September and have it count to my application? Furthermore, if I can do the GAMSAT as early as this September, if I repeat the GAMSAT next year, will they take the new score, or the better score out of the tests?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi,
I'm just wondering, (I'm going to apply for graduate medicine in 2023 (just finished high school)), is it possible to do the GAMSAT as early as this September and have it count to my application? Furthermore, if I can do the GAMSAT as early as this September, if I repeat the GAMSAT next year, will they take the new score, or the better score out of the tests?
GAMSAT scores are valid for 2 years, so scores from the following sittings could be used to apply for 2023 entry: September 2020, March 2021, September 2021, March 2022. You choose the score that you apply with if you've sat the test multiple times, so presumably you'd choose whatever score will give you the highest chance of getting into your chosen school(s).

I would say that if you are completely unprepared for the September sitting this year, there's no rush to sit it unnecessarily. I do think if you have the money then you don't have much to lose (and it's good to get a feel for the exam) but if it's going to place undue stress on you or potentially affect your university results, don't do it. The vast majority of applicants don't sit GAMSAT in their first year of uni.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Just to clarify, Crow (because the OP’s wording isn’t super clear), a Sept 2020 GAMSAT could be used for 2023 entry (which would be a 2022 application) but not a 2023 application for 2024 entry? The OPs post could be read as them applying (submitting their application) in 2023.

(Just for anyone reading along really and making sure there’s a distinction in understanding between when applications are submitted and for what year.)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Just to clarify, Crow (because the OP’s wording isn’t super clear), a Sept 2020 GAMSAT could be used for 2023 entry (which would be a 2022 application) but not a 2023 application for 2024 entry? The OPs post could be read as them applying (submitting their application) in 2023.
That's correct - maybe I should've emphasised the entry part! If the OP isn't planning to apply until 2024 entry, then they definitely should not do the September GAMSAT this year, as the score won't be valid!

A1

Rookie Doc
I'm fairly sure the Sept 2020 is no good even for 2023 intake. Either because it's considered more than 2yo, or ACER has a rule you can only sit Gamsat from the year before final year i.e. not in 1st year of a 3yr course.