Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Graduate Medicine Offer Rates

Johnner

Do we know what percentage of applicants who apply for graduate medicine get offered a place?
Obviously, this is very hard to determine but are we aware of any available statistics from GEMSAS: e.g. What percentage of GEMSAS applicants receive an MD offer?
The closest available statistic I've been able to find is based on the number of grad places available (~2k) and annual GAMSAT test takers in Australia (~11k) i.e ~20% acceptance rate, but this is very inaccurate.
Do we know how this compares with other countries like the UK and US?

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Do we know what percentage of applicants who apply for graduate medicine get offered a place?
Obviously, this is very hard to determine but are we aware of any available statistics from GEMSAS: e.g. What percentage of GEMSAS applicants receive an MD offer?
The closest available statistic I've been able to find is based on the number of grad places available (~2k) and annual GAMSAT test takers in Australia (~11k) i.e ~20% acceptance rate, but this is very inaccurate.
Do we know how this compares with other countries like the UK and US?
My guesstimate is that UK is probably higher and the US probably lower. The US tends to have a very hard MCAT compared to what we have to go through, while the UK has very low UCAT cutoffs compared to what we have to deal with. I'd imagine that these facts that apply to undergraduate also apply to postgraduate.
In terms of GEMSAS, most university cutoffs are around a 64 on the GAMSAT, which is around an 80th percentile - roughly agreeing with your stats

A1

Rookie Doc
The closest available statistic I've been able to find is based on the number of grad places available (~2k)

In this context number of grad places available is only ~1500. Close to 500 spots have been offered provisionally to school leavers (UQ 140, GU 80, UWA 140, Syd/Melb/ANU/Flinders ~30 each).

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Approximately 10 000 sit GAMSAT each year. From those, there’s usually around 4500-5500 that apply to GEMSAS. Of those, about 1500 will receive a place offer via the GAMSAT/graduate entry path (this number includes USyd/Flinders students too).

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Is this the official GEMSAS statistic?
From GEMSAS: the 2018 intake had 5251 applications, 1748 interviews for 1165 place offers. I can’t find the exact statistics from 2019 entry but IIRC it was about 4500-4700 applications for around the same number of interviews and place offers.

If you add the USyd (~200), Flinders (~80 from memory) and Monash student numbers to this then you’ll get about 1500 graduate entry places per year.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads