• MSO wishes all applicants the best of luck in the UCAT!
    Remember, it is important not to post content about specific questions until this season is over (feel free to message a moderator about questions that we can collate later) but we would love to hear about your experiences and results!
    Cheers, Mana
    P.S. you can't dismiss this message

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith 2012!

vincent168

Stimodont
Btw, how did you find "equivalent griffith university courses" for credit transfer? Are you only half guessing what are similar courses?

goodboy

Personally, I looked at the course outlines of my subjects. Then I compared them to Griffith University subjects with its course outline. If two of my subjects from my previous university equated to one Griffith Uni subject then documentation of both subjects were submitted in order to receive credit for that subject. Ultimately, the course convenor of each course approves the credit and assesses it in first place. Hence, the more information about the course you can provide, the better it is.

Little Rain

Btw, how did you find "equivalent griffith university courses" for credit transfer? Are you only half guessing what are similar courses?
I can show you some examples I've done in the past four years. (YM is the abbr of the school I went)

GU:Essentials of Chemistry and Physics
YM:principles of Chemistry / Chemical Principle Lab. / Principles of Chemistry (Analytical Chemistry) / General Physics / General Physics Laboratory

GU:Anatomy and Physiology Systems 1 / Anatomy and Physiology Systems 2
YM:Anatomy / Physiology / Physiology Lab. / Clinical Physiology /...

It is not hard to FIND them, but it is hard to CATEGORIZE them... GU's courses' title are more general like...what about "Genes and Disease"? I've took several molecular biology classes, some are for research and some are more clinical.

vincent168

Stimodont
I'm basically just sending them the my course outline and each subjects outline. I asked them and they said if you can't identify the equivalent, just leave it blank and they'll do it. :)

Anyway goodboy, is there any suggestions on timetabling besides avoiding early starts, late finish and big gaps? E.g. you want to do pracs early? Or do a particular tute a week after a lecture?

apparentdiamond

Accomodation

Hiii

thanks for showing me this thread goodboy. Is there anybody who is looking for a roommate. I am going to reach goldcoast on the 12th of february.

Please let me know as soon as possible

THank you sooo much

Last edited:

vincent168

Stimodont
Is there something important for you to want to come over earlier? As far as I know we can just pop in any time to get an ID and that's it

apparentdiamond

so what do you think about accomodation......any suggestions..
I mean I wanted to get something cheap...can u or anyone suggest/help me with this

vincent168

Stimodont
For cheap accommodation I think renting off campus is best and sharing (which is what your doing anyway) BUT many people suggest at least staying on campus for 1st year are you aren't familiar with the place. But I don't think there will be major problems.

vincent168

Stimodont
About 100 per week per person for a 2 room apartment shared by 2 people. You probably need to catch a bus or something I assume, so not walking distance

belowmountfuji

Hi goodboy, thx so much for ur informative post! I'm a non-standard dentistry student commencing this sms. I assume University Square and University Village only accept current students? As I'm actually married and need to find accomodation where I can live with my husband, so does it mean I have to find private rent elsewhere, or do you hv any better suggestion? Thx alot!

goodboy

I'm basically just sending them the my course outline and each subjects outline. I asked them and they said if you can't identify the equivalent, just leave it blank and they'll do it. :)

Anyway goodboy, is there any suggestions on timetabling besides avoiding early starts, late finish and big gaps? E.g. you want to do pracs early? Or do a particular tute a week after a lecture?
Hi, I didn't do first year subjects except for Interpersonal Skills so wouldn't be able to give the best advice there. But structure your subjects in such a way so that you get plenty of breaks and not get worn out.

Last edited:

goodboy

Hi goodboy, thx so much for ur informative post! I'm a non-standard dentistry student commencing this sms. I assume University Square and University Village only accept current students? As I'm actually married and need to find accomodation where I can live with my husband, so does it mean I have to find private rent elsewhere, or do you hv any better suggestion? Thx alot!
Since you are married, I am not sure how that would work out. Unfortunately, I can't be much help there sorry. However, I know a lot of partnered people living in rental private houses around the uni (close walking distance). Additionally, some houses have a room for a couple. Check out gumtree as they put up adds frequently. I will look out as well and if I come across, I will private message you.

Last edited:

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus
You can find accommodation threads all around MSO

l2009

@l2009 Thank you so much!!! (y)

I was planning living "on campus" in the first place, but the social partying thing really kind of scares me. I rather have a quiet place to study at night or something.

Hope that GU will let me transfer some of my credits. It's really hard to tell based on slightly difference course names.

Just curious, what do people do if they are able to get all the credits except "Introduction to Clinical Oral Health Practice" ???
I'd be surprised if you didn't get credits!

I had heaps of free time and spent a lot of it making new friends and trying to hang with them as much as possible, given that I otherwise would hardly ever be seeing them. I reckon it's better to establish your social groups earlier than later. Or you could just find a job and make the monies! Also, in second semester of first year, if you've gotten credit for all the first year chemistry subjects, you can do second year biochemistry (as first year chemistry is the pre-requisite for biochemistry). Unless you just get credit for it as well :lol:
After 2 years of constantly trying, I've finally made it! I'm a non standard with GPA-6.7. So excited!(y). I have a few questions though:
1. Is it too late to apply for Griffith University Village?
2. For the last two years, is getting FEE-HELP easy and is it given for the full amount? Can a current student in 4th or 5th year answer this please.

Thanks! Good luck to those still waiting.(yy)
1) Sorry, I wouldn't know. Best check their website and contact them directly
2) Well, you have to meet the citizenship and residency requirements ... so you need to be an Australia citizen or a permanent resident). And yes, you'll get it for the full amount that is charged for the final two years.

Mm, depends what you prefer. I hate early starts (you'll get used to it in 3rd year though ... 8am starts nearly everyday), so I avoid early starts ... I don't like late Friday finishes (this year I have a 7pm friday finish -.-) ...

Griffith University | Timetable search

Check the above link out, punch in the subject codes you'll be doing and you can fiddle around to try and make a good timetable for yourself.

Tips: Get to know everyone in your cohort as early as possible, make networks and connections and new friendships. For the 5 years you are here, make it worthwhile! Loads of fun and study to be done but memories of this shall remain evergreen. Hence, get to know one another.
Agreed, get out there and make friends in the upper years! Once you hit second and third year, us upper years are useful for advice :)

Keep an ear out for pizza night - a beginning-of-the-semester gathering for all the dent people to catch up and meet the new first years.