Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith 2012!

UMAT Veteran

hahah don't stress about that crap man. Yeah it is great if you get it done quickly, but admin at Griff dent is pretty hopeless. They're forever losing stuff. There are people in 3rd year that still don't have all their forms in. It'll take admin about another year to figure out who hasn't done everything before they actually start chasing them down ;)

basically, don't stress if you haven't started your immunisations, bloodwork, first aid and CPR, police check, and whatnot...u have time. Just don't leave it too long and you'll be fine :)

DId griffith uni mail those sheets for blood tests to you? All I got was the information pack about how to enrol and the form for the medsci orientation camp

UMAT Veteran

I have heard that they are phasing out the Brewarrina clinic in favour of somewhere else cus Brewarrina hasn't been doing too well on the patient front, and students getting hasseled, broken into and robbed when they move there for placement. Not too sure the truth behind it...prob just griffith urban myth

Yeap? Griffith 5th years go down to the Brewarrina clinic (rural NSW) for a few weeks, as well as placements in Northern QLD.

l2009

I have heard that they are phasing out the Brewarrina clinic in favour of somewhere else cus Brewarrina hasn't been doing too well on the patient front, and students getting hasseled, broken into and robbed when they move there for placement. Not too sure the truth behind it...prob just griffith urban myth
Oh true ... well, I wouldn't be surprised given that it's Brewarrina ...

yandrewcheng

hahah don't stress about that crap man. Yeah it is great if you get it done quickly, but admin at Griff dent is pretty hopeless. They're forever losing stuff. There are people in 3rd year that still don't have all their forms in. It'll take admin about another year to figure out who hasn't done everything before they actually start chasing them down ;)

basically, don't stress if you haven't started your immunisations, bloodwork, first aid and CPR, police check, and whatnot...u have time. Just don't leave it too long and you'll be fine :)
Anything us 1st years should know and look out for? I didn't even know we had to 'register' for the orientation day...I clicked 'attend event' on the thing and that was it haha after skimming briefly over the description. :( Worried that I'll miss out on a lot of stuff now... definitely not a good start to the year

l2009

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed orientation! Funnily enough, turns out there's a few people in first year who I already knew from before ...

And was nice meeting a small group of first years who looked absolutely lost on the 4th floor haha.

Also, I think the optometrist who did the eye test for my contacts is in first year ... lawlawlawl

Last edited:

UMAT Veteran

nothing much you need to 'look out for'. Just read your course profiles and know when your assessments are due (this will be in the profile). If you're not sure on something related to your course than ask your friends, a 2nd year, or your lecturer.

Anything us 1st years should know and look out for? I didn't even know we had to 'register' for the orientation day...I clicked 'attend event' on the thing and that was it haha after skimming briefly over the description. :( Worried that I'll miss out on a lot of stuff now... definitely not a good start to the year

TheAsh

Hello,
Can you please tell me whether it is possible to find accommodation near Uni within first two weeks of my stay in Gold Coast? Normally, when should international students book their rooms for University Square(for example)? In fact, Im not sure whether I should book a hotel for some days and look for accommodation around Uni or book a room at those "University Village" or "University Square" etc. I would appreciate if you could advise me.
Thanks.
Ash.

mighty

[MENTION=14711]TheAsh[/MENTION]: I think that spots at Uni Village/Uni Square book up pretty fast so I would advise booking them before you make the move to the Gold Coast. I would even book it before the end of the year. I think you can book them for 6 months so maybe you can do that and then if you don't like it after 6 months you can move out and find other accommodation.

Good luck! :)

Sony

Hello,
Can you please tell me whether it is possible to find accommodation near Uni within first two weeks of my stay in Gold Coast? Normally, when should international students book their rooms for University Square(for example)? In fact, Im not sure whether I should book a hotel for some days and look for accommodation around Uni or book a room at those "University Village" or "University Square" etc. I would appreciate if you could advise me.
Thanks.
Ash.
Hey Ash,
I would recommend booking a room around early Jan. University square and uni village go out pretty quickly (at the start of the year). Specially because the gold coast hospital will be near the main campus next year, everyone will be relocating near the university.
To get a better idea about the facilities I recommend talking to the property managers.
Hope that helped. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions about the accommodation.

Good Luck! :)

mighty

Did you go to Griffith previously? because I asked them if they accept non-standards into med or dent and they told me - NO
>? how is this possible.
Cheers.
They don't take non standards into med as it is a provisional entry program, but they do take non standards into dent (youd be looking at GPA 6.75+ for a good chance of an offer).