Griffith accommodation

Discussion in 'Griffith University' started by sal123, Dec 19, 2018.

1. sal123

sal123 New Member

Wonder if any current/past students can comment on accommodation at Griffith (pros and cons of each on campus accommodation, best one to live in, when is the best time to apply, etc..) :)

2. Dr Dent

Dr Dent I find your lack of faith disturbing Newbie of the Year 2018

Lawyer and Dental Student
    I would be keen to hear about this as well. I feel like univillage is so expensive.

3. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

Griffith MD
    This is purely anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt, but the on-campus accommodation seems largely taken up by non-local, young undergraduates who have just moved out of home (or at least it seemed that way when I was last at the uni). The majority of people live in share houses in the surrounding suburbs to the uni (predominantly Southport and Parkwood, but also further south in Broadbeach and other places near the tram line).

As dental students the majority of your classes will be based at G40, and I'd estimate it would take 15-20 minutes of walking from the university village to get there. If it's too expensive, I'd be finding a share house located near a tram stop and be catching the tram instead - I don't think the location of the on-site accommodation justifies the cost, and if you catch the tram then it will drop you about a 2-3 minute walk from G40 anyway; a much better option, in my opinion.

ETA: Someone has just posted this on PD which basically confirms my thoughts:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    sal123 likes this.
  4. sal123

sal123 New Member

yeah it seems to be more of a party village more than an actual accommodation really. Think I'm just going to have to find off campus student accommodations

Also, I was wondering if you knew what first year was like (cant find the post for it) I.e. what subjects are done, is there any clinical exposure, and whether I can transfer credits from my bachelor of science

5. sal123

sal123 New Member

would you happen to have any input on the other student accommodations (university square, metro on central, nexus place, university village)

6. Crow

Griffith MD
    I don’t, sorry! But I think the general consensus is to avoid the student accommodation unless you’re keen on the party life (which wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing, as the workload during undergrad is very manageable).

7. fermejusqua

fermejusqua New Member

Is anyone willing to live in a sharehouse with fellow dental students? I was thinking of renting out a home/townhouse, and getting other dental students to live there as well.

8. Yyv26

Yyv26 New Member

Is anyone moving to the gold coast looking for accomodation? I would prefer to live with fellow dental students rather than randoms.

9. Crow

Griffith MD
    fermejusqua is also looking for dental housemates that study dentistry at Griffith, I believe!

Yyv26 likes this.
  10. Yyv26

Yyv26 New Member

Thanks Crow!

11. Tomatomatomato

Tomatomatomato New Member

I'm interested. Please hit me up if you still got rooms available!

12. Dentine

Dentine New Member

Also interested! Likewise, keen to live with other dental students

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Tomatomatomato likes this.
  13. Akith

Akith New Member

Same here, will be interested!

14. Dentine

Dentine New Member

I have been having a look the past couple weeks and if we get around 3-4 people per household, we could get a pretty decent/new house furnished and close to griffith for a relatively cheap price per person

15. Akith

Akith New Member

I'll be interested to talk more about this if you want to sort out a group chat of some sort

16. Tomatomatomato

Can I add you guys on messenger so that I can create a group chat? In case there is privacy concerns for posting your facebook username online, we can use other platforms (e.g. discord) to host it.

17. Ian Naga

Ian Naga BS / MD (Griffith)

There is a brand new accommodation alternative (former Commonwealth Games apartments that has been re-purposed). It is next to the Uni. More info here: Smith Collective - Together, we are reinventing rental

18. Tomatomatomato

Thanks for the information. The location is fantastic, and that is certainly reflected in their pricing...
    One bedroom apartment - from $380pw (Bond $1520)
    Two bedroom apartment - from $420pw (Bond $1680)
    Two bedroom apartment with better configuration - from $460pw (Bond $1840)
    Bills not included in rent.
    (Source: Check out Smith Collective Team from JLL QLD Pty Ltd on realestate.com.au)
    This is too much for me.:( I would rather rent a big house near the tram line and share the cost with few other dental students.

Akith, Dentine and fermejusqua like this.
  19. Dentine

Dentine New Member

Yeh I'm keen to do a group message on messenger or discord, whatever suits everyone :)