Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith dent- 1st year uni student entry?

patelraj

Lurker
im a 1st year uni student and i want to transfer to griffith dent next year (2011). can i use my atar score or do i need to use my university marks? i did really well in hsc (99.8) but ive been slakcing off in uni....

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Unfortunately, if you have studied one year of full time at a tertiary level , they will most likely take your GPA into account and not your ATAR. You would have to ring them and ask which one they will assess. Good luck ^_^

KIWIpride

Can you confirm that with a link?
2 years ago, I was in the same situation. I was in my first year of uni with pretty average GPA but quite high NCEA marks (NZ high school qualification). When I applied, my 1st year first semester marks were considered for interviews and total 1st year GPA was considered for a place. This was confirmed by calling QTAC, however, this was 2 years ago..so might be different this year. But doubt its changed. I will try to find a link to this info. and post it here.

Derp

What type of GPA usually seems to get you in? Like 6.5 - 7ish?
@hutcherson - i recalculated mine :) my godddamn GPA is now 6.75...in australian system

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
A 6.75 is excellent! Justin you have a good chance (assumption only) at getting into griffith dent. It really depends how many people apply as non-standards and if there are many people with a GPA higher than a 6.75. There might be a few, but you might be in the top pile of high GPA's. ^_^. That is an amazing GPA :)

monkey magic

"If you successfully completed (GPA> 3.75) a full time equivalent year of study in your current program at the time of consideration for application into Dental Science then you may have as your first order rank whichever is the highest - the one from your current study or the rank from your previous completed degrees.

The GPA from your previously completed degree is not combined with that of your current study. "

I got this email from the admin guy for dent, so I thought that if your atar is higher you would have that as the greatest rank, I don't think they would go from gpa if it is lower based on the email admin sent me.

How did you go anyway?

veEnom

Lurker
so for example, if i do a year of say a bachelor of dental technology and do amazing, will those grades be sufficient for an entry into dent?

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
As long as you have done a year of "full time" tertiary study and your GPA is competitive enough, then yes.

veEnom

Lurker
thanks hutch, but does this only apply for griffith university or are there any others as well? Im guessing melbourne would be excluded as it only take postgrads.

The reason I ask is because ive just recently found my calling in dentistry through an opportunity I received to work at a dentist, but my completed bachelor of science grades are not up to par.

I want a fresh start..

miscer

so for example, if i do a year of say a bachelor of dental technology and do amazing, will those grades be sufficient for an entry into dent?
I'm doing dent tech at the moment, and pretty much all of our cohort wants to move into dent, it's extremely competitive. Plus if you don't get an ace GPA after your first year, you're pretty much screwed because 2nd and 3rd year requires you to do many lab practicum's which are marked off how good you are practically. It's EXTREMELY hard to get a high GPA in these prac's because, for example, they tell you to construct something, then after you do it they compare it to industry standards and mark you off that. For someone who's never done it before, it's very hard to achieve high marks.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
thanks hutch, but does this only apply for griffith university or are there any others as well? Im guessing melbourne would be excluded as it only take postgrads.

The reason I ask is because ive just recently found my calling in dentistry through an opportunity I received to work at a dentist, but my completed bachelor of science grades are not up to par.

I want a fresh start..
You can apply to JCU, UQ, GU, CSU, UADEL & La Trobe for undergraduate.

miscer

So basically its get a GPA of 7 in your first year and hope for the best?
Yep, although a 6.6 was good enough for dent this year. Also, you can resit umat and apply for other dental schools too if they have non-standard pathways

vincent168

Stimodont
The faculty replied to my email and they said you needed HD average for 80CP's+. They also warned me that even HD average may not get a spot next year...are they trying to reduce the number of applicants by scaring them? Or is it just that 1st preference thing where you won't get an offer regardless of your OP/GPA if its not your number 1 preference?

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
There just saying they will take the highest marks possible until they fill all places. They only accept 80 students~ I recall and if heaps of ppl with HDS apply, they will looks at your percentage within that HD e.g 95% as opposed to 90%. Not to sure why they want you to have it as first preference. Did they mention that it must be first preference in the email?