Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith dent- 1st year uni student entry?

mighty

Good points: No interview, no UMAT for Griffith uni.
Bad points: Did anyone mention that the course fees alone are ~$200,000? Then you've got to live somehwere, buy food, etc. for 5 years... You'd be looking at a $300k debt at the end of 5 years (that's *if* you can find someone willing to lend it to you. The Australian and NZ governments sure wont (you can't get an Aussie student loan for the first 2 years, and even then you can't borrow all of that on FEE-HELP, I don't think)).
Not quite true. The course fees amount up to about $130k (still a hefty sum). It's around $30 000 for the first 3 CSP years, and $100 000 for the last 2 FFP years. As a NZ citizen, you're not eligible for HECS for the first 2 years here, so at the start of your first 2 years you have to pay ~$9000 upfront.
For medicine and dentistry, FEE-HELP covers up to about $102 000 (or something, I can't remember) so that should be enough to cover your final 2 years.
But yeah as you said, in addition to that you'll need to work out living costs, which are going to be about $65 000 over the 5 years.

Overall: I'd give Otago (or, if you don't get in here, another Aussie uni, their fees are like a fifth of Griffith's) a shot first, and leave Griffith as a last resort, the fees are just crazy.
As a NZ citizen (or even an Aus) I'll agree with this. Griffith dent is not cheap.

frootloop

Doctor
[offtopic]Listen to mighty, she'll have actually researched this course properly, lol[/offtopic]

KIWIpride

Yeah fees are crazaay. Wish I was good at umat :( oh well. But then again, its in the gold coast, which is far more appealing than Cairns, Orange and Bendigo

mighty

Just thought I'd add another point which is particularly pertinent to NZ citizens/applicants. All of these fees are in AUD, so it'll cost you guys more. With current conversion rates, the course fees alone will cost you $170 000 NZD all up. Yikes! D:

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads