Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Dent 2010...where my people at?

UMAT Veteran

Hey everyone, just got offered Griffith Dent (Oral health in Dental Science) :) Had UMAT of 167, I thought i stuffed my interview...I guess they must have justliked my dedication :)

Just wondering where my other Fellow Griffith dentists are at??????????

Last edited:

BumbleBee

Me Me Me Me Me

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSooooooooooooooooo hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppppppppppppyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy(yy)

samba123

Griffith 2010

Hi I also got the Griffith Dentistry offer.

Can someone create a Griffith Den 2010 facebook

Hope to see you

samba123

Griffith Accomodation

Hi Guys

What is the best accommodation (close/noise/cost) close to Griffith Med/Dent School?

samba123

Bluebird

Congrats guys! I can help you out with accomm cos I'm about to start 3rd year.

Well, first year is all theory and at the main Parklands campus. Its called Foundation Year Health so you're with exercise science, pharmacy etc for all your classes. It's a different campus to the hospital.

Griffith Uni Village (not to be confused with University Village) is the closest by far, and is pretty much ON campus (joined by an air bridge across the highway). Max 10 min walk to lectures, min 10 sec walk (you can see one of the lecture theatres from your window- i was always tempted to go in my PJs). However it doesn't have any shops nearby, except a mini convenience store which has bread, milk, icecreams etc but no meat or veg so you still have to go grocery shopping (plus its massively overpriced). GUV is the biggest accomm (500ish people) so can be loud, lots of parties, but I guess its only as crazy as you want it to be. You have your own bedroom door (obviously) and apartment door so it's not like youre surrounded by people all the time if you don't want to be.

Nexus and Metro are the same sorta things as GUV (but smaller) except they aren't so close, and you need to either bike, drive or get the shuttle or campus.

University Square is on the highway aroung the corner from the uni, so about 15 min walk to most lectures, max 20 min walk. It has the advantage of being in a group of shops so there's like subway, DVD shop, petrol station etc. Still not near a grocery store though. But crawling distance from the tavern which hosts student night once a week if thats a priority lol.

University Village: I've heard of it but never been there so sorry I dont know anything about it.

When you start 2nd year, everyone (pretty much) moves into rental houses in the streets around the hospital. Because after first year you dont have any classes at the main campus, they're all at the hosp, so everyone rents places within walking distance of the hosp, usually with friends they've made in 1st year. You'll prob be ready to move out of college/village after a year anyway.

Edit: just re-read this, apologies for all the spelling typos! blame it on lack of sleep/little sisters 18th last night

Last edited:

samba123

Thank you Bluebird for your reply.

I am planning to book accommodation at University Square, and i was wondering whether it will be close to the First year lectures for Dentistry? And also is this place generally a quite and clean accommodation for students.

Bluebird

Hey

Yeah uni square is nice. Like GUV theyre little apartments which are all part of a student living complex. I think they're all apartments of 3? But youre in charge of your own cooking and cleaning so your apratment is as clean or dirty as you like. But they do inspections every like 2 months or something.

I'm at work, and completely bored (secretary) so I've make you a whereis map of the walking distance :)
Dont know if this link will work or not

http://www.whereis.com/?id=2E09D5A01737E7

B

bunghole

it all depends on how much you want to pay/week. there is loads of share accom on domain and realestate but you gotta be prepared to move in with randoms (may not be your ideal housemate type of randoms either). at the same time if you can look around and find the right place you could be paying as little as $100/week+bills. i mean if you really wanna knuckle down and get good marks, all you need is a room, a bed and a desk right? ive heard from uni village people that aspects of uni village life can impose quite the distraction. obviously meeting people and moving out after 1st sem/1st year is ideal, especially if 2nd year and on is based at the hosp. don't know how you would go about getting 3-4 1st years on a lease though, might need references/tenancy agreements etc, which you may or may not get depending on how crazy you want your first year to be :blink:

EDIT: Bluebird, isn't the school/hosp relocating to parklands in the not too distant future?

l2009

bunghole said:
ive heard from uni village people that aspects of uni village life can impose quite the distraction.

Being so close to a bunch of people in your year can indeed be a pretty big distraction ... but at the same time, it's awesome for getting to know one another and hanging out. I guess it depends on how disciplined you are.

bunghole said:
obviously meeting people and moving out after 1st sem/1st year is ideal, especially if 2nd year and on is based at the hosp. don't know how you would go about getting 3-4 1st years on a lease though, might need references/tenancy agreements etc, which you may or may not get depending on how crazy you want your first year to be

Yeap, after first year, everyone moves out to places around GH1 (the oral health/med centre) and there's always a bunch of places available. In terms of finding a place that's well priced, furnished, really close walking distance to GH1, a bit of luck is needed; but there's definitely lots of placed available. Getting leases at the student accommodation (uni village, square etc) shouldn't be that tough I'd imagine - after all, vast majority of people there are fresh out of high school students who more than likely don't have any previous rental history. After staying a year there, you have your reference for when you move out to Southport in second year :)

UMAT Veteran said:
To all those who haven't already....Rep that degree with an awesome Sig

Ah, I totally forgot about the userbars. Mine is up now (yy)

Bluebird

GH1 (hospital) is relocating to parklands on 12/12/12 (the month I graduate (n)) but I expect it'll be later than that. either way, anyone in dent at the moment will still need to find accomm near the GC hospital before the new hosp opens

Bluebird

and as for being distracted by your peers in student accomm, first year is pretty cruisy, particularly first sem, so in my opinion meeting your peers (particularly if you've just moved interstate) is well worth any "distractions", plus it can be an advantage cos you can study together, get lifts to the hospital together, get lost together etc etc. much funner than being alone.

UMAT Veteran

GH1 (hospital) is relocating to parklands on 12/12/12 (the month I graduate (n)) but I expect it'll be later than that. either way, anyone in dent at the moment will still need to find accomm near the GC hospital before the new hosp opens

Is there a url for this? I can't seem to find any info on it on their website.

@@@@@

CONGRATS I am just a mum looking at marks needed for a daughter interested in medicine in the future. I saw you missed medicine and was dissapointed for you. Good Luck I am happy for you and I am sure you will do well.