Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith dent

nottellingu

No. Where did you hear that from?

Not sure of an exact figure ... but around 97 UAI and 160+ umat raw score. Of course if you had a relatively weak UAI then you'd need to have a higher umat score + good interview.
I have a sneaky feeling that griffiths cut-offs are going to be a lot higher this year. In previous years their closing dater was the last day of july and many potential applicants missed out because they didnt pay much attention to the closing date. This year Griffith have extended the cut-off by a month so id imagine a lot more people applied and thus the increased competition.

l2009

oh, i thought it was like their med science that is accelerated to squish it in 2 years.

Anyways, I was wondering if you could provide me with some insight into dentistry at griffith. How are you coping with the workload? Is it an intense course where you wont have much free time? What would be an ordinary day? I heard that you are actually learning both med and dent in the dent course. Is this true?
I did pharmacy @ UQ before GU dent so I'm only part-time, but I can still say it's not really that intense. First semester consists of chemistry, 2 biology and psychology. Second semester is chemistry, 2 anatomy and a dent subject. Tbh, first semester should be a breeze if you at least put in some sort of effort but second semester is a fair bit tougher because the workload associated with anatomy is quite high. As for what an ordinary day is like - it really depends on how you organise your timetable. You could space everything out evenly across 5 days, or you could try and cram heaps of stuff over a few days and have some more relaxed days.

And lol, I must ask - where did you hear that you would learn both med and dent in this course?

scoobs

I did pharmacy @ UQ before GU dent so I'm only part-time, but I can still say it's not really that intense. First semester consists of chemistry, 2 biology and psychology. Second semester is chemistry, 2 anatomy and a dent subject. Tbh, first semester should be a breeze if you at least put in some sort of effort but second semester is a fair bit tougher because the workload associated with anatomy is quite high. As for what an ordinary day is like - it really depends on how you organise your timetable. You could space everything out evenly across 5 days, or you could try and cram heaps of stuff over a few days and have some more relaxed days.

And lol, I must ask - where did you hear that you would learn both med and dent in this course?
i heard that in general, in dentistry courses you learn both (from usyd open day - i may be mistaken?). Thats why i was concerned of the workload required.

Well for Griffith's course flexibility, is this the same for other unis where you can choose which classes you want to go to?

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus
Well no, you do not learn both medicine and dentistry in a dentistry course.

theillestill

Ludwig's Mangina
USyd is post-graduate, and the first 2 years involves didactic classes with those in the medicine program. The last 2 years are separate.

Because of this, USyd offers the option of doing both your BDent and MBBS in 6 years where the first 4 years is spent in either medicine or dentistry, and the last 2 years to complete the other degree.

nzmed

OK, I'm filling out my pref. for QTAC just wondering how people are going to afford to pay $100k for the last 2 years. Are we supposed to take a loan? or something? or is there a FEE-HELP for this?

Thanks (wishing griffith would be normal...)

wow insane!!

i didnt even know this... is this true for any other universities?

i thought it was close to 9K / yr

plz tell me if any other uni r this expensive cz wats the point if i cnt afford it?

l2009

No, other universities aren't like that. Generally, dentistry is a straight 5-year bachelor of dental science, but griffith separates it into a 3-year bachelor of oral health in dental science and a 2-year graduate diploma of dentistry. It's just the grad diploma that costs ~$100k because it's full-fee.

Bluebird

wats the point if i cnt afford it?
You just HECS the first 3 years (total of about $30K) and FEEHELP the last 2 years ($100K) and worry about it later in life... no interest.

Unless you're an international (excluding NZ pretty sure) thats a different story, they have to pay upfront

l2009

is there anyway u can get into the grad diploma after doing a differne undergrad course?
Nope, it's only open to people who have done the Bacheor of Oral Health in Dental Science.

Anyone know the UMAT cutoffs for dentistry at griffith??
Any info needed plz!!!!
thanks
Like godoftoast said, no-one knows at this stage. But for a general idea, it would be around 160+.

Will it matter what preference you've placed griffith dentistry?
I don't think it would matter too much. Say you don't get your first pref, then you'll be offered your next highest but if you reject that then you'll be offered the next highest pref in the next round. I'm not 100% on that though, so I stand to be corrected.

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus
^^^

Would you have picked UQ dent over GU dent if it was offered to you or is there some super hidden benefit that is associated with the grad diploma that makes employment easier?

l2009

Would you have picked UQ dent over GU dent if it was offered to you or is there some super hidden benefit that is associated with the grad diploma that makes employment easier?
For the same reasons as most, I would've picked UQ over GU. But if the option was given to me to transfer out, I'm not sure what I would do. I've met some fantastic people and am enjoying the year (except for driving down to the coast from brisbane all the time).

There's no hidden benefit with having the Grad Diploma - it's pretty much the same as any dental program except that you end up with a 100k debt (should you choose to take out a FEE-HELP loan). Say what you will, but I'm happy to be in dentistry and willing to have that burden.

does dent at griffith also need 50/50/50 in each section to be eligible?
I don't think so. During the years I've looked up entry requirements for dentistry, I never heard anything about GU dent requiring 50 in each section. If you want to be sure, give them a ring.

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus
That 100K debt really put me off GU dentistry. Btw sorry if I sounded like I was attacking you or the university, I am just curious as to why there was a 100K debt and if there was some special benefit to it.