Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith dent

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
do the subject bonus points that griffith offer, count towards dentistry?

The subject bonus points count for every subject in Griffith and UQ. Essentially when you apply to QTAC, QTAC automatically adds the points to your actual score before sending it to UQ/Griffith for their selection process.

l2009

That 100K debt really put me off GU dentistry. Btw sorry if I sounded like I was attacking you or the university, I am just curious as to why there was a 100K debt and if there was some special benefit to it.

Nah dude, I didn't feel like you were attacking me or anything. I was just clarifying how I felt about it to anyone else reading :)

To be honest, the reason it's there is pretty much for money. From what I know, the medicine and oral health building was built without any financial assistance from the government, so it was built out of GU's own pockets ... or a bank loan? I'm not sure. There was a facebook group created by this one fellow who petitioned to have the graduate diploma CSP funded. It did make some progress, but I don't think my year will be able to escape the 100k cost. Maybe in another 5 years or so, lol.

n33b

FIRST!!!
That 100K debt really put me off GU dentistry. Btw sorry if I sounded like I was attacking you or the university, I am just curious as to why there was a 100K debt and if there was some special benefit to it.
Just want to point out that the difference isn't quite that big, it is $80k if you take into account that other dental schools charge $8k per year (and GU charges $96k for the final 2 years, $96k - $16k = $80k). Still a huge amount, of course, and still a pain in the *** to pay off... but not quite as big of a pain :p

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
Just want to point out that the difference isn't quite that big, it is $80k if you take into account that other dental schools charge $8k per year (and GU charges $96k for the final 2 years, $96k - $16k = $80k). Still a huge amount, of course, and still a pain in the *** to pay off... but not quite as big of a pain :p

Dude, its against my religion to take interest based loans and I doubt I can save so much in money in 5 years doing hospitality jobs and such so yeah.

l2009

Yeah, it would definitely be a nuisance but I imagine that if you found decent employment then paying it off wouldn't be too bad.

edit: godoftoast - because the Grad Diploma is a postgraduate program, there is no 20% interest for taking out a FEE-HELP loan. Out of curiosity, what religion do you follow?

Bluebird

Dude, its against my religion to take interest based loans and I doubt I can save so much in money in 5 years doing hospitality jobs and such so yeah.

Isnt HECS and FEEHELP totally interest free???!! oooooh shit. if not, this griffith bill is gonna come back to bite me on the ass lol

megaphat

Lurker
Out of curiosity, what religion do you follow?
I've got a feeling that was a tongue in cheek comment.

Debt is against my 'religion' too. (y)

Anyway, its very interesting that Griffith forces you to go FFP in the last two years. Its a bit cruel to students at a public uni.

godoftoast

Señor Member
Emeritus Staff
Yeah, it would definitely be a nuisance but I imagine that if you found decent employment then paying it off wouldn't be too bad.

edit: godoftoast - because the Grad Diploma is a postgraduate program, there is no 20% interest for taking out a FEE-HELP loan. Out of curiosity, what religion do you follow?

Islam. In Islamic teaching taking part in loans that contain interest is a very serious sin (one of the top four I believe). That applies both to the debtor and debtee. I think it has to do with the fact that interest is a way for the rich to get richer and increase the divide between the middleclass/poor and the rich. Also Islamic teaching states that income should come from hard work (hence gambling is out fo the question) and since financial institutions add little value to production or produce any tangible products it is also frowned upon.

B

bunghole

Islam. In Islamic teaching taking part in loans that contain interest is a very serious sin (one of the top four I believe). That applies both to the debtor and debtee. I think it has to do with the fact that interest is a way for the rich to get richer and increase the divide between the middleclass/poor and the rich. Also Islamic teaching states that income should come from hard work (hence gambling is out fo the question) and since financial institutions add little value to production or produce any tangible products it is also frowned upon.

good thing we live in australia then. i can't say i believe in debt either, but its a means to an end in this case.

so am i right in assuming that we're not going to get hit up with $20% FEEHELP interest due to it being a post grad course? why would anyone borrow of their parents/bank?