Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Dentistry Apparent Rejection

Hi.
So basically I have a GPA of 6.94/7.00 and I did not recieve an offer for Griffith dentistry on 13th Jan. The whole situation makes no sense to me I know of MANY with GPA's lower than this and have gotten offers straight away; ill explain my situation a bit more

- From University of Otago I sat HSFY (yes people from this exact course with a lower GPA have gotten in)
- Have griffith dentistry as my first preference
- Sent all documentation and has been confirmed it has arrived at QTAC - so this rules out a possible systems error I assume?
- I am from New Zealand obviously so am a non-standard

Why did I make this post? im basically asking for any help any has to offer as to why I could possibly have been rejected before telling me to call Griffith I have done that multiple times, but I will be contacting QTAC asap - if anyone has any advice on how to approach either that would also be appreciated.

Anyone in a similar situation could you also please pm me?

thanks guys

dumbledore

Chatbox Queen.
CALL THEM. If Griffith's only criteria is GPA and yours is obviously good enough, something has clearly gone wrong.

Maybe because you're from a different uni the GPA might have carried over differently? i.e. maybe a 6.94 in NZ is equivalent to something less on QTAC's system?

hey cheers for the reply!
ya im going to keep calling but over the last few calls I think i've been saying the wrong things as I havent really got any solutions..

the 6.94 is my AUSSIE equivalent to my NZ scores, in NZ we dont have a GPA system out of 7, this is 100% confirmed

dumbledore

Chatbox Queen.
Then I guess either their system screwed up, or you input some info wrong or something. If it's their fault they would have to fix it, right?

monkey magic

Yeah that sounds wrong dude, I heard a few people have had delays with results due to the floods, not sure how a flood would delay an email, however the office of qtac is in brisbane, from what my sister said they're pretty screwed atm, apparently ferry services may be cut for months and lots of places were evacuated, her in laws have moved to gc with them.

I would call up student admin and talk to them about it, and also call qtac, even though they probably wont be much help.

I would also tell them if you know of people with lower GPA's who have gotten in, when I called they were helpful. Failing that you could call up the dental school directly, although I am not sure if there is anyone there.

Good luck, hope it all works out for ya.

douseewhatisee

What dumbledore said, the GPA equivalence is different in all the states and thus you calculation of the GPA may not be how QTAC calculates it.

Hutcherson

Emeritus MSO Staff
Emeritus
You need to speak to someone in the faculty. Student services will be no help. Keep bugging them!

KIWIpride

@international - PM me your Otago grades (pecentage marks for all the papers).

Dousee, since international is converting GPAs, it would be the same across all the states.

I will call Griffith and ask what the cut off was.

Derp

wtf? i had gpa 6.8 and got a offer! even though i rejected it..
I agree with kiwipride, call them! bug the shit outta them!! tell them someone you know with gpa of 6.8 from otago(a NON STANDARD) GOT THE offer, so why not me? what the hell they playin' at

jiles

I really do hope that you manage to sort it out the_international. Don't let this opportunity slip past, you've clearly worked very hard for it!

thanks alot guys :)
@kiwi I pm'd you.
@ dumble yeah i wish its like that, because im sort of doubting the amount of power I have as im limited to emails and telephones since i sit in NZ
@ monkey thnx, that explains the situation a bit more
@hutch : will do lol
@ dousee - justinkabir (thanks for the post justin lol) is also HSFY and no matter how GPA is calculated mine will always be a bit higher so it doesnt make sense no matter how the calculate it :S
@ justinkabir91 maybe they like you more haha congrats anyway
@ jiles thanks :)

Last edited:

Derp

maybe qtac actually looks at avg? like u know 86% avg etc...coz u can have lower gpa but still higher avg? like gettingg 84% in stuff, you're still counted as A-...but it's sooo close to 85%...which'll get counted as A...but srsly wtf man...

TROLL QTAC, we don't care goddamn flood...just gimme acceptance into dent!! my advice is call them....over and over again. E-mail isn't half as effective, since they can just ignore it

well my average (HSFY) is also higher than alot of people who got it, i can rule out the possibility of my GPA somehow not being above the cutoff because any way you look at it i can prove it (i think anyway lol)

ya this sucks but I dont know what im going to do about accomodation!! and im in NZ, so if this thing drags I am going to have to get settle for crap late accomadation here to!! im sort of trapped
yeah they have ignored like all my emails post-thursday :(

justin do you know of anyone personally getting griffith other than yourself (from HSFY aswell)?? thanks

illmatic

which ever way you try to explain it there is a flaw, I think what you should do is
1- 2moro call qtac see if there is anything wrong with your application and make sure they've got the right gpa for you
2- then call griffith's admissions and tell them exactly what you wrote in the beginning of the thread and see what happens

I really hope you sort this out my friend, best of luck :)

Nox

Well you aren't quite the only one in a similar situation. Unlike you, I applied to UQ for dent instead of Griffith but it is the same through QTAC. I have a GPA of 6.875 (in aussie terms) and an UMAT of 186, which if by what some ppl have gotten so far and last year cutoffs should have gotten me an offer. I am also applying from NZ.

So frankly, something seems screwed up here. I intend to fully chase this up for the hell of it over the next couple of days because they shouldn't be making mistakes at this kind of level. At least in my situation I have plenty of time to drag this problem out and reach it's conclusion.

Forget about emails, they can be ignored to easily, start phoning people up is the way to move forward from this point.

Last edited:

Derp

@international - sh*t bro...nah..i don't even know anyone else doing dent in otago nxt yr.;.
don worry bro...make sure you register for stuff nxt yt in otago or something...otherwise you gonna be in a fix, apply for postgrad, like bbiomed or something if you haven't already, otago accepts late registration..
do postgrad and apply nxt yr, you'll get in.
Meanwhile do these stuff and after that call and troll qtac, like i said they can just ignore mails, but not ingnore calls

Hutcherson

Emeritus MSO Staff
Emeritus
Don't email. Calling is the best option.

1. Call QTAC on Monday and ask them what results they have obtained from your university.
There could be a computer system error in transfer of results between GU & QTAC.

2. Call GU on Monday and talk to some one in charge of GU Dentistry admissions. Not some general person.
Ask them what results they have received and your rank.

This goes to both International & Nox :)

douseewhatisee

Have a look at what Hutch said in a previous thread about GPA conversions. It isn't as clear cut as the GAMSAT scale and thus your calculated GPA may be more inflated that what it actually is. I believe they realised that an A+ should = 7 however A grades and below are not equal to a 7 and may be equal to a 6 for example.

gulls

Victim of Procrastination
Emeritus
Some things to consider:
- Is there a separate quota for NZ applicants?
- Did you put GU dent as your first preference on QTAC?
- When did you send your results through to QTAC?