Griffith Griffith Dentistry Discussion

Discussion in 'Griffith University' started by dent_1011, Jun 20, 2018.

1. dent_1011

dent_1011 New Member

For griffith dent students who did a year or more of undergrad (not a highschool leaver) to get into dent

Format
    What undergrad:
    At what uni:
    GPA:

Question: Is there a disadvantage of studying a non-science undergrad to someone who is studying a science undergrad?
    Question: How difficult was it to get that grade?

Thanks in advance :):)

2. Mana

Mana Registrar Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    To be honest, there are very few, if any, current members who are doing Dentistry at Griffith, let alone those who got in after a year or more of undergrad (which then comprises a small minority of the actual cohort.) You're likely to be getting no responses or very, very few of them.

Edit: seems they are all coming out of hiding

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    dent_1011 likes this.
  3. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

Griffith MD
    No, entry is based solely on your academic results, regardless of degree; they don't discriminate against different degrees. The dent program at Griffith mainly accepts school-leavers, i.e. it assumes no prerequisite knowledge, so you won't be disadvantaged for not having a science degree background if you gain entry.

dent_1011 likes this.
  4. Gogi

Gogi New Member

I wouldn't say mainly school-leavers to be honest!
    My cohort had at least 40 non-standard students whether completed or have not completed their degrees.

Crow and Mana like this.
  5. dkae

dkae New Member

Im in first year 2018

Got in with from 1 year physiotherapy 6.875
    Partner got in 1 year nursing 6.875

My cohort is about 95. 30 if not more international (mostly canadian) maybe 15 school leavers. Rest undergrad.

Life is easier if u can rpl all general science first year. That said even if u come in from arts etc u should be fine.

6. Tomato

Tomato New Member

According to QTAC there is no QLD school leavers in 2018 cohort, therefore I guess the ~15 school leavers you mentioned should be from interstates. I find that the numbers of school leavers are getting less and less in Griffith Dent.

7. dkae

dkae New Member

yeah i only personally know a few lol, id say more and more spots are going to international. $$$

8. linus

linus New Member

I'm a first year doing undergrad science with a predicted GPA of 6.625. Would this be sufficient for the 2019 intake?

9. Tomato

Tomato New Member

According to previous years, the cutoffs were normally above 6.75, but I think you should apply just in case it lowers down this year.

10. Yamster

Yamster Dental Moderator DJ May

Not likely but no harm in trying.

11. kyleb

kyleb Dentistry

For griffith dent students who did a year or more of undergrad (not a highschool leaver) to get into dent

Format
    What undergrad: Business (marketing)
    At what uni: Griffith
    GPA: 6.9
    Question: Is there a disadvantage of studying a non-science undergrad to someone who is studying a science undergrad? Nope
    Question: How difficult was it to get that grade? Didn't study it with the intention to do dentistry. I decided to apply one day before the cutoff and essentially only really considered it in my last 3 months of business because I started exploring med again. Moral is just do what you're interested in and work hard (or just become a f*cking chameleon and get the job done... which is my method)

Other useful stuff:
    - get a job where you talk to people from all walks of life (bar, restaurant, bottle shop).... communication skills are essential and a big issue in the industry. You'll be doing a lot of communication style courses and they're adding more.
    - if you do a year or more of undergrad you can do anything.. but, if you do a science/health degree and pick certain subjects you can get credits (most of my cohort has a lot of credits and it makes life easier... without credits you're doing the equivalent of 4-6 subjects... grades become irrelevant)
    - if you need the grades to get in then make that a priority from the start.. it's easy to stay up by it's hard to get back up (GPA wise)
    - look after yourself. Start building habits now like going to the gym or for a walk regularly no matter what you have on ("start with the end in mind"... you're going to graduate. Happiness/Confidence/Communications skills as a dentist > grades)

That's my two cents of sappy bs

am_z_hope and LMG! like this.
  12. Dr Dent

Dr Dent I find your lack of faith disturbing Newbie of the Year 2018

Lawyer and Dental Student
    Hi All,
    Just out of curiosity, if I have a gpa of 7, am I pretty much guaranteed entry to Griffith dentistry?

13. Yamster

Yamster Dental Moderator DJ May

I wouldn't say guaranteed, probably like a 99.9% chance? :)

(just make sure you've done at least 1 full-time year of studies though! A part time year of study won't cut it, even with a GPA 7!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2018
    kyleb likes this.
  14. Leiaskywalker

Leiaskywalker New Member

Hey all! :) In regards to getting into Griffith dentistry as a nonstandard using gpa, are you guys referring to Bachelor of Dental Health Science?

kyleb likes this.
  15. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    Yes.

ETA: Bachelor of Dental Health Science (1577)
    You'd then need to do the Master degree to be an actual dentist, is my understanding. So 5 years, all up.

kyleb likes this.
  16. Crow

Griffith MD
    This is quoted from AndHan19 on a profile post:
    We don't have many active Griffith dentistry students on the forum and I know you need to make a decision by the 5th, so in case nobody responds to you in time I'll try and answer your Griffith-specific questions as best I can. For background, I've never been a dentistry student, but I did my undergraduate degree at Griffith and did all of the foundation year health courses that first year Griffith dentistry students do (other than the two dentistry-specific foundation courses).
    I don't really know how much university prestige influences dentistry career options as it's not my field, but Griffith states they're in the top 2% worldwide for dent rankings (and the dentistry program has been around for over 10 years) if that is of any use: Ratings and Rankings

I briefly detailed my thoughts on Griffith and the Gold Coast in an older post here (the purpose was to compare Griffith med with JCU med, but hopefully you can take out a few relevant parts), which may be of some use to you: Med Place Offers 2017 (Offers Only - All Unis)

If you have more specific questions about living on the GC or university life I'd be happy to answer.

As for your first year courses, you can find a list of them here: Bachelor of Dental Health Science (1577)

Most of these aren't dentistry specific, and are designed just to introduce you to health, the basics of chemistry, cell biology and anatomy and physiology, which will give you a solid base for the remainder of the dentistry program. Whether you do significant dent-specific practical work in first year, I don't believe so, but here are the links to the course profiles of the two dentistry foundation courses for you to read through to see what they entail:

Clinical Dental Practice 1 (1040DOH_Y1) - Griffith University

Clinical Dental Practice 1 (1040DOH_Y2) - Griffith University

If you have other Griffith or GC specific questions, ask away here and I'll do my best to answer. If you have questions about living in Adelaide or the university itself, ask away in an Adelaide-specific thread (tag Trinhcent or Dr.Potato and they will hopefully be able to assist).

17. AndHan19

AndHan19 New Member

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I have a couple of friends who study dentistry at Adelaide and I have listened to their opinion. They basically love it there. However they tell me, based on what they heard when they applied 2 years ago, the Griffith lacks on the clinical side. My Agency tells me that Griffith made changes in 2018 and have improved the clinical/practical studies. Just need some to confirm that. I will go through the links that you sent.
    Do you know if the Griffith offers a feedback program where they have a list of students who volunteered to answer questions from future students? I emailed the university but I am still waiting to hear back.

Thanks again for your help

18. Crow

Griffith MD
    I’m not exactly sure what you mean here, but I’ve never heard of anything like this happening at Griffith so I would assume not?

19. Tomato

Tomato New Member

I don't think Griffith has any problem with their curriculum, but they do charge you full fee in the last two years. Therefore, if you are not living on the GC, UniAdelaide may be your choice. In terms of rankings, UniAdelaide seems the 2nd highest in Australia, but it's really useless clinically;)

20. Crow

Griffith MD
    I believe AndHan19 is an international student, so I don’t think this applies to them - Yamster informed me that the Griffith degree is actually significantly cheaper than the Adelaide degree for international students.

Yamster likes this.