• MSO wishes all applicants the best of luck in the UCAT!
    Remember, it is important not to post content about specific questions until this season is over (feel free to message a moderator about questions that we can collate later) but we would love to hear about your experiences and results!
    Cheers, Mana
    P.S. you can't dismiss this message

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry Discussion

gcandidate2013

The seminars are compulsory and the course convenor runs them all and is very strict about arriving on time, professional appearance, etc. They are basically run to improve your communication skills. Most of the time, you'll have a scenario with actors and you have to answer the patient's (who is the actor) questions or find out why exactly they have bad oral hygiene, etc. You are given a time limit, which is usually 3-4 mins and you have to complete the scenario within that time frame. The marks you get in these scenario count quite heavily towards your final mark. Hope that helps.
In regards to 1040DOH, does anyone know what the seminars are like?

Are they similar to lectures? Is attendance compulsory? The course profile doesn't elaborate much.

kyleb

Dentistry
In regards to 1040DOH, does anyone know what the seminars are like?

Are they similar to lectures? Is attendance compulsory? The course profile doesn't elaborate much.
Lectures: optional for both the oral bio and comm skills units
Seminars and labs: compulsory. Don't be late otherwise you can get an academic breach. Also, don't inhale or exhale... some instructors hate when students do that (not not jks)

It probably just says the one course code for all your classes on the timetable 1040DOH. Once the course outlines are released on Learning @ Griffith you'll know what's what eg. which lecture is the Comm Skills lecture, which is the oral bio, which is the lab/seminar etc etc... or just show up and figure it out in the first week or two :)

Try really hard for all the assessments before the finals even if you're flooded with other subjects. Saves a lot of "will I pass stress". Full course load is brutal for whoever is doing it. Unless you have no life then you'll be sweet

See ya around

gcandidate2013

Seminars and labs: compulsory. Don't be late otherwise you can get an academic breach. Also, don't inhale or exhale... some instructors hate when students do that (not not jks)
Hahahah that is so true. I got 0 for professionalism once when I didn’t tie my hair up.

Leiaskywalker

gcandidate2013 and kyleb, Regarding this professionalism you mentioned, I am just curious...do most people wear professional attire or scrubs for communication skills?

kyleb

Dentistry
Hahahah that is so true. I got 0 for professionalism once when I didn’t tie my hair up.
Griffith dent: "no rings"
Me: ** goes to clinic to observe fourth years... sees two male Drs with 5-7 rings on their hands working on patients -.- **

gcandidate2013 and kyleb, Regarding this professionalism you mentioned, I am just curious...do most people wear professional attire or scrubs for communication skills?
It's probably 70/30 scrubs to business...
Sometimes I wear scrubs, sometimes I wear professional stuff..... it doesn't really matter but I guess in a way it does. I think it depends on what works for your personality and what's going to breed the most self-confidence and also patient trust. :D

Akith

Lectures: optional for both the oral bio and comm skills units

It probably just says the one course code for all your classes on the timetable 1040DOH. Once the course outlines are released on Learning @ Griffith you'll know what's what eg. which lecture is the Comm Skills lecture, which is the oral bio, which is the lab/seminar etc etc... or just show up and figure it out in the first week or two :)

Try really hard for all the assessments before the finals even if you're flooded with other subjects. Saves a lot of "will I pass stress". Full course load is brutal for whoever is doing it. Unless you have no life then you'll be sweet

See ya around
Does Griffith record their lectures at all?

Crow

Most Active 2018
Does Griffith record their lectures at all?
Yes, except for when the lecturer “forgets” I.e. doesn’t know how to operate the lecture capture ;)

If you have a guest lecture for any subject and the content is assessable I’d suggest going to the live lecture because while it is university policy to record all lectures, those that aren’t regular staff at the uni are far less likely to capture their lectures.

K_Porzingis

Please see this post: Griffith - [Gold Coast] Foundation Year Health Overview and Q&A
Crow indicates it is also relevant for Dental Health students.
Since that link doesn't include the actual 1st year dental subject (1040_DOH), does anybody in the above years know how that specific subject is like? Workload, content etc.? On a side note, the lecture schedule for that subject seems a bit packed in the first three weeks and then it significantly tapers off based on the timetable..

kyleb

Dentistry
Since that link doesn't include the actual 1st year dental subject (1040_DOH), does anybody in the above years know how that specific subject is like? Workload, content etc.? On a side note, the lecture schedule for that subject seems a bit packed in the first three weeks and then it significantly tapers off based on the timetable..
So the first 2 or 3 weeks there's extended lectures that are combined Dentistry, Dent tech and dent pros.... these lectures cover a bunch of terms about teeth that are relevant to everyone. After this it's separate lectures.

The first trimester is pretty straightforward dental anatomy.
The second trimester is Oral Histology + Head & Neck anatomy.... this is a bit more challenging. Second trimester lectures are taken together by dentistry and dental prosthetics/tech..... histology labs are combined while Head & neck pracs are separate and go through different levels of detail depending on the course.

Jaddo

Guys I applied for credit transfer for some of the subjects two weeks ago and honestly im getting worried because it still shows the status of "submitted" and according to their website im still at their early stages ("If your application is in the early stages of the assessment process, your assessment status will display as 'Submitted'."). Is it normal??

Crow

Most Active 2018
Give it time, the trimester doesn’t start for another month. If it’s still in the same position in 2 weeks, use AskUs or contact student services to check why it’s taking so long.

DentalHen34583

Guys I applied for credit transfer for some of the subjects two weeks ago and honestly im getting worried because it still shows the status of "submitted" and according to their website im still at their early stages ("If your application is in the early stages of the assessment process, your assessment status will display as 'Submitted'."). Is it normal??
Hey,
I applied for credit transfer for one of my courses through my agency in Canada and it took roughly ~2weeks to hear back. I applied again, this time through Griffith's website, and it's been around 2 weeks and I have the same "submitted" status. Probably just need to give them some time as they likely have a high volume of applications at this time.

kyleb

Dentistry
Depending on what you're applying for... sometimes they have to really look into it.
Obviously, their workload is a factor too

People in my cohort sometimes took up to 8 weeks to get approved... they literally sat the course until they got approved, often dropping out just a few weeks before final exams. However, I think these were mainly cases where they got rejected initially then kept applying with new evidence.

:)

Dr Dent

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Newbie of the Year 2018
Morning all,
Just a quick question about credit transfers. I know for the Master of Dentistry in the final two years at Griffith, there is a research project and some introductory research units. I've done a PhD already and was wondering if I have a chance of getting credit recognition for these units. It just means I can pay less money in those full fee years. Thanks

Missiee

Morning all,
Just a quick question about credit transfers. I know for the Master of Dentistry in the final two years at Griffith, there is a research project and some introductory research units. I've done a PhD already and was wondering if I have a chance of getting credit recognition for these units. It just means I can pay less money in those full fee years. Thanks
The research component is fairly new, the current 2019 5th years are the first cohort going through with the ‘Master of Dentistry’. They started intro research last year (4th year) From what I know a few people were able to get credit towards the intro components initially but later they knuckled down on who was actually getting approved. I would say just apply with what you have and hope for the best. I’ve not heard of anyone getting credit towards final year research though. It is a group research project as far as I know. :)