Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry Discussion

Crow

Moderator Band
Not sure how but I'm enrolled into Microbio for Oral Health despite being first year.
They don’t restrict enrolment directly, usually after students have enrolled in a subject they’ll then screen them all and check they’re in the right year level and have completed the necessary prerequisites.

K_Porzingis

For anybody in the higher years, do you know how 2005MSC Biochemistry is? Still weighing up whether to take it or not this year (I got credit for the prerequisite). Which classes(out of the lectures, tutorials and labs) in this subject have compulsary attendance? Interesting that there isn't a lab for it, but a "tutorial" and a "workshop".

Also on a note in regards to this whole forum(and not Griffith Dent), does anybody know how to change the username? For NBA fans, they might know why I'd want to lol

Crow

Moderator Band
Which classes(out of the lectures, tutorials and labs) in this subject have compulsary attendance? Interesting that there isn't a lab for it, but a "tutorial" and a "workshop"
As a general rule (excluding the dent-specific subjects): lectures aren’t compulsory and are recorded, tutorials may be compulsory but usually aren’t (the detriment is merely on the student if they skip tutorials and aren’t prepared for exams) and workshops can go either way. Given the workshop for that subject is running every single week, I’d imagine it’s non-compulsory and is code for “interactive lecture” I.e. it will probably be recorded and you won’t need to attend.

Also on a note in regards to this whole forum(and not Griffith Dent), does anybody know how to change the username?
One of the site administrators (Mana, Benjamin, pi) needs to change the name based on your request. Generally we will only grant username changes if the original username is doxxing (i.e. if it reveals your identity in some way).

Missiee

For anybody in the higher years, do you know how 2005MSC Biochemistry is? Still weighing up whether to take it or not this year (I got credit for the prerequisite). Which classes(out of the lectures, tutorials and labs) in this subject have compulsary attendance? Interesting that there isn't a lab for it, but a "tutorial" and a "workshop".
Many current students have advised if you can pick up any of the 2nd year subjects (microbiology, biochemistry, general pathology, pharmacology) then definitely jump on that wagon! Makes for a lighter work load for second year with all the dental subjects :)

am_z_hope

Hey guys! Hope everyone’s well. Just a very random question- what do we wear for the dentistry orientation day? On the email it says

“Please note: As a dental professional student it is expected from you to be dressed in a professional manner when attending academic activities. Furthermore, to participate in all Orientation Day activities, students must wear or bring with them, closed in shoes - shoes that fully enclose the foot with no heel or toes exposed (this is a requirement of Occupational Health and Safety).”..

If someone can shed some light here, that would be great! Thanks so much!

Reactions: May

Crow

Moderator Band
Hey guys! Hope everyone’s well. Just a very random question- what do we wear for the dentistry orientation day? On the email it says

“Please note: As a dental professional student it is expected from you to be dressed in a professional manner when attending academic activities. Furthermore, to participate in all Orientation Day activities, students must wear or bring with them, closed in shoes - shoes that fully enclose the foot with no heel or toes exposed (this is a requirement of Occupational Health and Safety).”..

If someone can shed some light here, that would be great! Thanks so much!
From the email, I’d suggest you need to wear enclosed shoes ;) but no doubt casual dress will be fine, I presume they’ll be showing you the anatomy/dental facilities where you need to be wearing enclosed shoes at all times.

am_z_hope

From the email, I’d suggest you need to wear enclosed shoes ;) but no doubt casual dress will be fine, I presume they’ll be showing you the anatomy/dental facilities where you need to be wearing enclosed shoes at all times.

Lol! That’s for sure ;)

Thanks so much Crow!! You have always been fab with helping out!
Have a good weekend!

Jaddo

“Please note: As a dental professional student it is expected from you to be dressed in a professional manner when attending academic activities.
If orientation is considered an academic occasion (considering they sent the above statement with the same email as the invitation to orientation) wouldn't it mean that the dress code should be smart casual rather than just casual?

Crow

Moderator Band
If orientation is considered an academic occasion (considering they sent the above statement with the same email as the invitation to orientation) wouldn't it mean that the dress code should be smart casual rather than just casual?
I wouldn’t classify orientation as an “academic activity”. I can’t imagine you doing anything on orientation day that would warrant being dressed above a casual standard. Usually it’s just a few presentations and maybe a tour of the facilities.

Maybe kyleb or another current student can confirm.

Yvette

Hi guys,

Does anyone know which building in the GC campus is the usual location for dentistry students?

I am interested in student facilities, i.e. 24 hours computer lab etc.?

Thanks.

Crow

Moderator Band
Hi guys,

Does anyone know which building in the GC campus is the usual location for dentistry students?

Thanks.
G40 will be home to you in your final 2 years (masters), and I wager you’ll spend a fair amount of time there (more than any other building) in your first 3 years too. I can’t really speak for 2nd and 3rd year or any dental specific subjects but for foundation year the majority of lectures should be in the G40 auditorium or G17.

The 24 hour library is located across from the pool - I *think* it’s the only 24 hour room accessible on campus. I know medical students have access to the PBL rooms in G40 24/7 so it is possible the dentistry masters students have something similar. On G40 level 4 there’s a study lounge with computers which is really good too.

There’s plenty of other great study spaces and computers accessible on campus - some include the main library (lower level general study, upper level quiet and/or silent study), quiet rooms and study pods in the library that you can book, G27 has 4 silent rooms with white boards, and upstairs from the True North cafe on the tram line (sorry I’ve forgotten the building number) is great too.

I’m unsure of any extra facilities that dental students have access to during the undergraduate years (you get locker access on level 2 in G40 in the final 2 years), maybe kyleb knows?

If you have other general campus questions feel free to ask too.

ss01

You can ask to get locker access in first year if there are any lockers spare lockers left. Will definitely get lockers in second year.
You'll mostly be in sim labs (lvl 5) and the clinic at G40 in 2/3rd year .
PBL rooms in level 5 are also commonly used by dent students.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
DJ May
Hey all,

Just wondering for future reference - did anyone receive any late top up offers (or 2nd/3rd round)? In previous years, subsequent offers weren't made for GU dentistry (if my memory serves me correctly). I'm just curious if that's was the case for this years entrance as well. If you did receive an offer, please post on the offers thread your scores for future reference as GU is one of our more popular dentistry sub-forums! :)

kyleb

Dentistry
Hi guys,

Thanks.
Yeah so basically you'll be spending a lot of time at G40.
Depending on how many other subjects you're doing (Anatomy, chem, CTR) you'll spend time elsewhere for sure. Regardless, the campus is awesome to be on and there lots of buildings and rooms that you personally might just like to hang in.

24/7 labs:
- next to the library is the main advertised one (The library quiet section upstairs closes at 11... it's awesome up there all day and especially at night its a ghost town so you can really just get in the zone and not be distracted)
- others: G16, G30
There's probably more, you can basically walk into anything that's open on the uni. Loads of labs and group study rooms all over with different setups. Some group rooms are a free for all and others need to be booked.

I got a spare locker that was available in 1st year... there aren't many and it's first come first serve when the email gets sent out to first years. From 2nd year you will get assigned one.

Not sure if masters students get access to the PBL rooms after hours (but that's ages away :)

Take home message is to just explore with your friends and you'll soon enough find your fave spots.. I've been at Griffith on and off since 2011 and I still find new rooms with a bunch of cool stuff or a nice new layout

have fun :)

Anyone know what the minimum ATAR required for Griffiths Dentistry is?
It was 99.80 last year, I got a 99.5 last year and missed out, and that is what they released on the website. They do not let in many school leavers at all. Your best bet is to go to uni and resit the ucat and try and get your gpa to a 7 (which isn't as hard as it sounds provided you do the work). That is unless of course your atar is high enough for it :)

Winger42

It was 99.80 last year, I got a 99.5 last year and missed out, and that is what they released on the website. They do not let in many school leavers at all. Your best bet is to go to uni and resit the ucat and try and get your gpa to a 7 (which isn't as hard as it sounds provided you do the work). That is unless of course your atar is high enough for it :)
Wow, so their Dent. cutoff was higher than their Med. cutoff? Most Med. courses are harder to get into than Dent. courses, right?

Wow, so their Dent. cutoff was higher than their Med. cutoff? Most Med. courses are harder to get into than Dent. courses, right?
Yeah in general they are, although the gap seems to be closing as more people are applying for both. But I think for griffith they rather non-standards that have university experience, which is why it is so high because I think they only let in like 8-10 high school students last year, while they have at least 40 non-standards.