• ALL USERS: please familiarise yourself with the MSO Forum Rules (updated 03/08/20). The link to the rules is the first in the forum list.
  • UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry Discussion

Jnhjns

to all the international students.. have you guys got medicare cards - how do you get one? plus has everyone done their forms for placement?
You will need to be from one of the 11 countries Australia has a reciprocal healthcare agreement with to enrol in Medicare. If you're not from one of those countries you will need your own private insurance.

nguyea13

What courses did they add even without the application? Can I ask what degree you applied with for the credit? I applied with my B. Science and some of them are rejected.
and can we do the 2nd year courses in the first year?
Thank you
Hey sorry for the late reply! I applied to get credit for 10001MSC and 1014MSC, but they also gave credit to 1005MSC and 1015MSC which was nice. I also applied with B.Sci (only first year tho) at Melbourne Uni, as I did most of the foundation science subjects. Have you sorted everything out since your post? :)

ahmeja

Hey sorry for the late reply! I applied to get credit for 10001MSC and 1014MSC, but they also gave credit to 1005MSC and 1015MSC which was nice. I also applied with B.Sci (only first year tho) at Melbourne Uni, as I did most of the foundation science subjects. Have you sorted everything out since your post? :)
Hey I got credit for those topics as well the 1st yr tri 1 anatomy and cells topic but I do found out that I couldn’t do any 2nd yr pics. Are you going to be par t time?

Hi all

Would anyone know the 2020 ATAR cut-offs for Griffith Dentistry? I graduated in 2019 with an ATAR of 99.60, but didn't apply for Griffith Dent this year. I'm commencing a Bachelor of Health and Medical Science (Advanced) at the University of Adelaide this year, and after calling Griffith Uni, I've been told that they will consider either my GPA or ATAR (whichever one is higher) if I apply for Griffith Dent in 2021.

Thank you!

TimesCrawler
I've seen your posts before. Do you want to do medicine or dentistry?

If you want to do medicine, take a gap year, meet the English prerequisite and apply for provisional medicine at Griffith. I don't think their med program accepts people who have reported tertiary studies. (Note: I'm 100% sure about admissions into medicine)

For dentistry, they will consider whichever one is higher. And the cut off for this year is 99.00. (Degrees)

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
For dentistry, they will consider whichever one is higher. And the cut off for this year is 99.00.
That’s the minimum requirement. In reality it’s more like 99.8 (or at least, has been for the past two years).

That’s the minimum requirement. In reality it’s more like 99.8 (or at least, has been for the past two years).
That's what I initially thought, but:

QTAC application information
Gold Coast
Bachelor of Dental Health Science
Code

Duration
  • 3 years full time
Prerequisites
English (4SA)
Assumed Knowledge
One of Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Maths B (4SA)
OP*
Rank*
ATAR*
* The above score and rank are from the 2020 admissions round and represent the lowest selection rank to which an offer was made. Selection ranks can change from year to year and should be used as a guide only.
UAC application information (for NSW and ACT applicants)
Gold Coast
Code

Duration
  • 3 years full time
Prerequisites
Any two units of English (Band 2)
Assumed Knowledge
One of Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics
ATAR*
* The above score and rank are from the 2020 admissions round and represent the lowest selection rank to which an offer was made. Selection ranks can change from year to year and should be used as a guide only.

Maybe they have two different cut offs for UAC and QTAC applicants?

ucatboy

Valued Member
That's what I initially thought, but:

QTAC application information
Gold Coast
Code

Duration
  • 3 years full time
Prerequisites
English (4SA)
Assumed Knowledge
One of Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Maths B (4SA)
OP*
Rank*
ATAR*
UAC application information (for NSW and ACT applicants)
Gold Coast
Code

Duration
  • 3 years full time
Prerequisites
Any two units of English (Band 2)
Assumed Knowledge
One of Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics
ATAR*

Maybe they have two different cut offs for UAC and QTAC applicants?
Perhaps QTAC is unable to differentiate between 99+ ATAR students due to Queensland's OP system. Hence why they (correctly) report the true 99.80 ATAR cutoff as OP1 and 99 rank (it technically is) but then (erroneously) directly convert OP1 to its default ATAR value (99.00). Seems like an oversight on QTAC's part, they should've just taken the raw value for ATAR.

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
Can assure you that the cutoff was above 99.0 - the bachelor of medical science also says the cutoff was 99.0, and we know that isn’t the case either.

Perhaps QTAC is unable to differentiate between 99+ ATAR students due to Queensland's OP system. Hence why they (correctly) report the true 99.80 ATAR cutoff as OP1 and 99 rank (it technically is) but then (erroneously) directly convert OP1 to its default ATAR value (99.00). Seems like an oversight on QTAC's part, they should've just taken the raw value for ATAR.
Yeah, probably.

Can assure you that the cutoff was above 99.0 - the bachelor of medical science also says the cutoff was 99.0, and we know that isn’t the case either.
There is no way that medical science has a cut-off of 99.00. So yeah, they probably failed to convert OP to ATAR. I thought they introduced a different atar cut-off for school leavers this year so they don't have to directly compete with GPA 7.

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
For those interested, page 6 of this document has a GPA to ATAR conversion table which I believe makes sense for QTAC/Griffith dent calculations: https://cms.qut.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/252021/admission-pathways.pdf

If 6.95 = ATAR 99.95 and 6.5 = ATAR 99.0, by my calculations an ATAR of 99.8 = GPA 6.8795, and ATAR of 99.75 = GPA 6.856

Last year's cutoff was 6.875 and ATAR 99.80, which makes sense as the equivalent of a 99.75 is below 6.8795.

A1 can check my work though.

Reactions: A1

A1

Admissions Speculator
If 6.95 = ATAR 99.95 and 6.5 = ATAR 99.0, by my calculations an ATAR of 99.8 = GPA 6.8795, and ATAR of 99.75 = GPA 6.856
The QUT link you gave in your JCU post also shows this, in line with your calculations :

Grade point averageSelection rank
6.95 - 7.0099.95
6.90 - 6.9499.85
6.85 - 6.8999.75
6.80 - 6.8499.65(?) This line missing in the webpage, it's my guess.
6.75 - 6.7999.55
6.70 - 6.7499.40
6.65 - 6.6999.30
6.60 - 6.6499.20
6.55 - 6.5999.10
6.50 - 6.5499.00