Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

Dentine

A PhD and a completed masters by research that is non-graded are awarded a GPA of 7 automatically, so yes they’ll take precedence over other degrees. As for the others, it depends - if you have a higher GPA in your one year of a bachelor vs someone with two bachelor degrees, then you should receive the offer over them because GPA is their key selection criterion.

Thanks for the info Crow!

I might be overthinking too haha but I think Nirvas point could also be taken as if someone has a bachelors degree with a 7 and someone has first class honours, is preference given to honours in a tie breaker? I'm assuming the two outcomes in this scenario are either yes honours is ranked higher and given preference or alternatively the honours applicants bachelors GPA will be used as a secondary factor. Likewise, if someone has a 3 year bachelor of 7 vs 1 year of 7 is the 3 year degree given preference (I believe this to be the case reading through the threads but welcome correction) - do you have any insight on these factors? Though I understand it's highly unlikely a tie breaker will be needed for a 7 GPA

Cheers

Nirav1985

Curious dent
Hey Dr Leo, thanks for the insight into dent

I'd just like to ask in what sense are you referring to transfer credit? Do you mean carry over grades from another degree?

Cheers

I m sure you will be fine. No problem with your transcript. What I gathered from all these (UAC, QTAC, Here chatting with everyone, Griffith Dent admission team) as long as you have one full time studied in one degree, Griffith will count those subjects only. Sometime people get credit for certain subjects from previous degree where they have got HDs and then they just study few subjects or don’t study at all. In those circumstances, Griffith does not count the credited subjects. Meaning they just take into count for the subjects one has studied and not the credited subjects.

Nirav1985

Curious dent
Thanks for the info Crow!

I might be overthinking too haha but I think Nirvas point could also be taken as if someone has a bachelors degree with a 7 and someone has first class honours, is preference given to honours in a tie breaker? I'm assuming the two outcomes in this scenario are either yes honours is ranked higher and given preference or alternatively the honours applicants bachelors GPA will be used as a secondary factor. Likewise, if someone has a 3 year bachelor of 7 vs 1 year of 7 is the 3 year degree given preference (I believe this to be the case reading through the threads but welcome correction) - do you have any insight on these factors? Though I understand it's highly unlikely a tie breaker will be needed for a 7 GPA

Cheers
Yes this is what exactly I intended to ask.

Dentine

I m sure you will be fine. No problem with your transcript. What I gathered from all these (UAC, QTAC, Here chatting with everyone, Griffith Dent admission team) as long as you have one full time studied in one degree, Griffith will count those subjects only. Sometime people get credit for certain subjects from previous degree where they have got HDs and then they just study few subjects or don’t study at all. In those circumstances, Griffith does not count the credited subjects. Meaning they just take into count for the subjects one has studied and not the credited subjects.

Hey Nirav, thanks for that! I'm sure you will be completely fine to and will hear some good news on Friday :) From what I also gather, this is the case - where if you have 8+ units in one degree, they will only count those 8 units regardless of credit from a previous degree - at least I hope so hah a

Cheers

Nirav1985

Curious dent
Hey Nirav, thanks for that! I'm sure you will be completely fine to and will hear some good news on Friday :) From what I also gather, this is the case - where if you have 8+ units in one degree, they will only count those 8 units regardless of credit from a previous degree - at least I hope so hah a

Cheers
Yes, 8 or more subjects.
Hehehe. Hope we both will be fine and sharing good news on Friday.

Dentine

Yes, 8 or more subjects.
Hehehe. Hope we both will be fine and sharing good news on Friday.

I'm regrettably only a QTAC applicant. Unfortunately I had no idea they had different release dates otherwise I would have applied UAC instead but I guess there will be no change in outcome anyhow - its a wait till next Wednesday for me haha

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I don't think there will ever be a situation where the cut-off rises to 7.0 and as such I don't think it's worth worrying about. I don't know whether they'd select a first class honours applicant over a bare bachelor degree 7.0 applicant, and I doubt we'll ever find out (my hunch tells me it'd be the honours holder though, as Griffith likes applicants who hold higher degrees).

As for the 3 year bachelor vs 1 year bachelor applicant both having a GPA on the cut-off, then yes, they'd select the applicant with more tertiary study.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Will we know the cut offs for griffith dent from the UAC offers alone? Or will it be specific to UAC applicants alone?
Griffith won't share the cut-off publicly, so we will only know by reports on MSO from those that have received place offers and those that haven't; we can then use this to figure out the cut-off. So - everyone please share your data with us when the time comes! The more reports we get, the better (and decline data is just as useful to us as data from those with an offer).

sal123

I'm regrettably only a QTAC applicant. Unfortunately I had no idea they had different release dates otherwise I would have applied UAC instead but I guess there will be no change in outcome anyhow - its a wait till next Wednesday for me haha
Hahaha i'm in the same boat unfortunately, had no clue regarding the different release dates - just means an extra 5 days of stress

sal123

Griffith won't share the cut-off publicly, so we will only know by reports on MSO from those that have received place offers and those that haven't; we can then use this to figure out the cut-off. So - everyone please share your data with us when the time comes! The more reports we get, the better (and decline data is just as useful to us as data from those with an offer).
Hey crow, would you happen to now if Griffith lowers the admission criteria for rural applicants or are all categories grouped under one umbrella i.e. domestic applicants

Dentine

Hey crow, would you happen to now if Griffith lowers the admission criteria for rural applicants or are all categories grouped under one umbrella i.e. domestic applicants

In the BDHS outline it states spots are set aside for rural applicants, meaning they have their own sub quota within the domestic applicant pool I'm pretty sure

Last edited:

Nirav1985

Curious dent
What are my chances with a 6.875? Full year, no credit transfers, 8 subjects.
I think Crow will the best person to answer as he has more experience. But based on my interaction with everyone (Griffith admission, UAC and QTAC, and here), you will be getting an offer on this Friday.
Last year the cut off was 6.75
This year would somewhere near 6.75 only.
Hope this will help.

I'd be very surprised if you didn't get an offer (the cut-off has never been that high), but won't make any guarantees, either.

I think Crow will the best person to answer as he has more experience. But based on my interaction with everyone (Griffith admission, UAC and QTAC, and here), you will be getting an offer on this Friday.
Last year the cut off was 6.75
This year would somewhere near 6.75 only.
Hope this will help.

Thanks everyone!

Your GPA has been enough in all previous years (assuming you have at least 1FTE year of study completed) so unless there is a significant jump in the cutoff (which is actually not too unlikely) you should be safe. Applying through UAC/QTAC makes no difference other than the fact that you’ll find out if you made it in a little earlier if you applied through UAC (their main offer round happens a few days before QTACs). Good luck! :)

Crow, when you say 1FTE, does this mean you have to be studying a full year of uni (48 units) towards a course, or can they be random subjects? (so long as you have 48 units). I've been trying to figure this out to inform people - does FTE mean the units you take in that year have to go towards completing a degree (i.e. towards course progression), or does the GPA required to apply only refer to the actual units taken? Ive heard some people doing half business units and transfering into arts and doing half arts units, although all the units undertaken is equivalent to 48 credit points (1FTE), technically they have only done half a year of what would be considered 'course progressing' units (i.e. those that you need to be awarded a degree). I am wondering it GPA only considers these course progressing units, or it doesnt matter so long as 48 units (1FTE) have been done

Dr Dent

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Crow may be able to shed further light on this but my understanding is that you have to do a year's worth of subjects from one degree program. Normally that would be 8 units.

Dentine

Crow will have a better answer and like mzho said it is a minimum 8 units or one year equivalent to be eligible for Griffith. Note that the full year can be made up of part time study (over a year of actual study broken up). From what I have gathered, the scenario you mentioned is where credits ie 4 units from a previous degree are combined with 4 units from your current degree to make 8 units. I do believe for this to occur the units have to be at the same institution. In the case where the units are combined to make a full year, they all count towards your gpa ie they won’t just consider the 4 units in the current degree due to prior study. Further, I don’t think they count the grades on the specific units unless it’s transferred as specified credit or show the grade/percentage. As Nirav mentioned I think they combine the GPA/2. This is just what I have gathered though and could be wrong.

Last edited:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Yes, for the purposes of applying for undergraduate programs through QTAC/UAC etc, the 1FTE minimum has to come from the same program - if it involves half from one program and half from the other, or transfer credits, then it won’t count.

This would be 8 units minimum unless some units were worth double the amount of credit points - at Griffith each “regular” unit is worth 10CP but if one were to do 6 regular units and 1 20CP unit in the same program, this would also count as 1FTE year of study.