Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey Soapia, they will consider all 3 years of your degree which will be the 6.25, however if you do an honours year and gain a first class, they will only consider that year which will give you a GPA of 7
I don't believe this is the case anymore - fermejusqua informed us that Griffith now consider first class honours to be equivalent to an ATAR of 99.5 (previously they gave it a GPA of 7). sal123 missed out on a Griffith offer this year with a first class honours which would seem to support this information, but then again sal's honours was awarded an overall grade between 80 and 85 so we haven't 100% confirmed whether this was the reason or the ATAR conversion was the reason.

ETA: I'd definitely be getting something in writing from Griffith before committing to doing an honours year for the sole purpose of gaining entry into Griffith dentistry.

m3d0001

I can also add that I have an offer with a honours GPA of 7 even though my score is 83. So its very surprising that sal123 didnt land an offer.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Does Griffith record their lectures at all?
Yes, except for when the lecturer “forgets” I.e. doesn’t know how to operate the lecture capture ;)

If you have a guest lecture for any subject and the content is assessable I’d suggest going to the live lecture because while it is university policy to record all lectures, those that aren’t regular staff at the uni are far less likely to capture their lectures.

Please see this post: Griffith - [Gold Coast] Foundation Year Health Overview and Q&A
Crow indicates it is also relevant for Dental Health students.

Since that link doesn't include the actual 1st year dental subject (1040_DOH), does anybody in the above years know how that specific subject is like? Workload, content etc.? On a side note, the lecture schedule for that subject seems a bit packed in the first three weeks and then it significantly tapers off based on the timetable..

kyleb

Dentistry
Since that link doesn't include the actual 1st year dental subject (1040_DOH), does anybody in the above years know how that specific subject is like? Workload, content etc.? On a side note, the lecture schedule for that subject seems a bit packed in the first three weeks and then it significantly tapers off based on the timetable..
So the first 2 or 3 weeks there's extended lectures that are combined Dentistry, Dent tech and dent pros.... these lectures cover a bunch of terms about teeth that are relevant to everyone. After this it's separate lectures.

The first trimester is pretty straightforward dental anatomy.
The second trimester is Oral Histology + Head & Neck anatomy.... this is a bit more challenging. Second trimester lectures are taken together by dentistry and dental prosthetics/tech..... histology labs are combined while Head & neck pracs are separate and go through different levels of detail depending on the course.

Jaddo

Guys I applied for credit transfer for some of the subjects two weeks ago and honestly im getting worried because it still shows the status of "submitted" and according to their website im still at their early stages ("If your application is in the early stages of the assessment process, your assessment status will display as 'Submitted'."). Is it normal??

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Give it time, the trimester doesn’t start for another month. If it’s still in the same position in 2 weeks, use AskUs or contact student services to check why it’s taking so long.

Guys I applied for credit transfer for some of the subjects two weeks ago and honestly im getting worried because it still shows the status of "submitted" and according to their website im still at their early stages ("If your application is in the early stages of the assessment process, your assessment status will display as 'Submitted'."). Is it normal??
Hey,
I applied for credit transfer for one of my courses through my agency in Canada and it took roughly ~2weeks to hear back. I applied again, this time through Griffith's website, and it's been around 2 weeks and I have the same "submitted" status. Probably just need to give them some time as they likely have a high volume of applications at this time.

kyleb

Dentistry
Depending on what you're applying for... sometimes they have to really look into it.
Obviously, their workload is a factor too

People in my cohort sometimes took up to 8 weeks to get approved... they literally sat the course until they got approved, often dropping out just a few weeks before final exams. However, I think these were mainly cases where they got rejected initially then kept applying with new evidence.

:)

Dr Dent

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Morning all,
Just a quick question about credit transfers. I know for the Master of Dentistry in the final two years at Griffith, there is a research project and some introductory research units. I've done a PhD already and was wondering if I have a chance of getting credit recognition for these units. It just means I can pay less money in those full fee years. Thanks

Missiee

Morning all,
Just a quick question about credit transfers. I know for the Master of Dentistry in the final two years at Griffith, there is a research project and some introductory research units. I've done a PhD already and was wondering if I have a chance of getting credit recognition for these units. It just means I can pay less money in those full fee years. Thanks

The research component is fairly new, the current 2019 5th years are the first cohort going through with the ‘Master of Dentistry’. They started intro research last year (4th year) From what I know a few people were able to get credit towards the intro components initially but later they knuckled down on who was actually getting approved. I would say just apply with what you have and hope for the best. I’ve not heard of anyone getting credit towards final year research though. It is a group research project as far as I know. :)

Dentine

Hey Jaddo, any word on your credit? Also does anyone know how strict they are on units that say 'must be taken in second year' ie pathology/microbiology even if you have the pre reqs for them?

Cheers

Jaddo

Hey Jaddo, any word on your credit? Also does anyone know how strict they are on units that say 'must be taken in second year' ie pathology/microbiology even if you have the pre reqs for them?

Cheers
Nothing new with me. Im still waiting on them. If nothing happens by tomorrow, I will give them a call on Wednesday and ill let you guys know what they say.