Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Also does anyone know how strict they are on units that say 'must be taken in second year' ie pathology/microbiology even if you have the pre reqs for them?
Pretty sure the point of that statement is so that you don’t do them before you have the prerequisites. If you already do and they get approved, then you should be fine to do them in first year instead.

Jaddo

Did you guys also receive an email from 'Vanessa Reher' that contains an empty google drive folder of your name? What should this folder generally contain?

Dentine

Pretty sure the point of that statement is so that you don’t do them before you have the prerequisites. If you already do and they get approved, then you should be fine to do them in first year instead.

Thanks Crow, hopefully this is the case as it would definitely lighten the load mixing units between first and second year (given I get credit in the first place)

This is the quote - Pre-requisites are: 1016MSC Anatomy and Physiology Systems I, 1017MSC Anatomy and Physiology Systems II, 2005MSC Biochemistry and 2015MSC Microbiology for Oral Health. Students must also be in their 2nd year of the Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science program 1259.

Seems like being second year is also a pre-req as second year biochem only has the chemos pre-reqs, although this seems like a strange thing to do without mentioning any co-requisites

Jaddo, I did too - my email said it was an unknown person or something along those lines however when I googled her name she is associated with Griffith Dentistry - oral biology I believe. Id say she has just made the drive and information will be added closer to the semester

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
This is the quote - Pre-requisites are: 1016MSC Anatomy and Physiology Systems I, 1017MSC Anatomy and Physiology Systems II, 2005MSC Biochemistry and 2015MSC Microbiology for Oral Health. Students must also be in their 2nd year of the Bachelor of Oral Health in Dental Science program 1259.
Oh, in that context I would say you won’t be able to do the subject until you’re in second year - presumably because there are limited places in the course available so they need to limit it to each year level cohort (though I’d be surprised if you are getting credit for Microbiology for Oral Health - that sounds like a specific 2nd year level dentistry subject).

kyleb

Dentistry
Did you guys also receive an email from 'Vanessa Reher' that contains an empty google drive folder of your name? What should this folder generally contain?
That folder will be where the role play videos of you and an actor will go.
Don't worry it should be empty right now... she'll explain it in your seminars.

m3d0001

just checked my credit application and its approved for a few subjects but it also says 'Transcript yet to be updated" under assessment status. Does anyone know whats next? Should i remain enrolled to those approved subjects?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
just checked my credit application and its approved for a few subjects but it also says 'Transcript yet to be updated" under assessment status. Does anyone know whats next? Should i remain enrolled to those approved subjects?
Have you been emailed confirming those subjects have been credited? From memory Griffith unenrolled me from the subject I got credit for once it had been approved, so I wouldn’t unenrol from anything yet - it should happen for you (at the very least, you should have something in writing saying your application has been approved before you unenrol from anything).

m3d0001

Thanks crow, I have not received any mails regarding credit approval. I myself checked my application towards the end of business. Anyone who has applied for credit transfer has similar status?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thanks crow, I have not received any mails regarding credit approval. I myself checked my application towards the end of business. Anyone who has applied for credit transfer has similar status?
You can use AskUs to check how you should proceed if you like - you usually get a response within a day or two.

Jaddo

Hey so I came across this today as I was reading about the dress code: "Business Casual Attire - students and staff should wear business casual attire at all times, except when using scrubs (see GU Dental Clinic – Scrubs)."
Is that the case for non-dental subjects as well?

Jnh

Anyone who has applied for credit transfer has similar status?
Yep, completely normal, mine was sitting at exactly the same status for 3 or 4 days, then I got an email about the credits being approved and Griffith unenrolled me from the units I got credit for.

kyleb

Dentistry
Hey so I came across this today as I was reading about the dress code: "Business Casual Attire - students and staff should wear business casual attire at all times, except when using scrubs (see GU Dental Clinic – Scrubs)."
Is that the case for non-dental subjects as well?
In the first year the ONLY time you are required to wear business casual/scrubs is for the Communication skills unit seminars (once every two weeks). So basically wear whatever the hell you like as long as you have closed in shoes for labs/pracs in all subjects and a lab gown (or coat but they prefer gowns).

Jaddo

Are there any dental students living in 'Nexus Place'? As I was looking for accommodation I came across Nexus place which is cheap, near Griffith, big bedroom, and own bathroom. But I'd rather be with other dental students than otherwise.

I am a first year bachelor of Dental health science student. I received credit transfer for 1001msc and 1014msc. I am thinking of taking an extra course in my first trimester, perhaps Biochemistry or Microbiology for Oral health from year 2. Do any of you suggest which course to take, or whether taking this course in Tri 1 is a good idea?

Thanks in advance

kyleb

Dentistry
I am a first year bachelor of Dental health science student. I received credit transfer for 1001msc and 1014msc. I am thinking of taking an extra course in my first trimester, perhaps Biochemistry or Microbiology for Oral health from year 2. Do any of you suggest which course to take, or whether taking this course in Tri 1 is a good idea?

Thanks in advance
Would definitely recommend doing one... I had friends do it and their subject load/schedule for the start of second year is way better than doing full time like I am. Maybe even try doing pathology (I think you're allowed to do this as well)

Jnh

whether taking this course in Tri 1 is a good idea?
There are prerequisites for both courses. You have to have completed 1015MSC to enrol in Biochemistry and 1016MSC & 1017MSC to enrol in Microbiology for oral health. You'd need to contact Griffith to discuss the possibility of waiving these.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor

Thanks in advance
Griffith - Griffith Dentistry Discussion In addition to the above, according to this post you need to officially be a 2nd year student to do microbiology of oral health.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Not sure how but I'm enrolled into Microbio for Oral Health despite being first year.
They don’t restrict enrolment directly, usually after students have enrolled in a subject they’ll then screen them all and check they’re in the right year level and have completed the necessary prerequisites.