Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

queque

hey fellow dentistry students at Griffith, do we only enrol in 4 units this trimester. Also do we have trimester 3 or just 2?

Only up to 4, if you have prior credit you can enrol few or take some second year courses in advance. We don't do tri 3

ahmeja

Just wondering if anyone is in the same position as me- About a week ago I got credit for 3 topics for trimester 1 and enrolled into 2 second yr tri 1 topics- social sciences 1 and biochemistry.

On Thursday, I received an email saying that I’m not allowed to do 2nd year topics as “students must successfully complete all level 1 courses before enrolling into level 2 courses” and have to drop the 2nd yr topics.

I think they should’ve made this point clear much earlier or is it just a recommendation that it’s better to do all 1st yr topics in 1st yr?

Thanks in advance

Jnh

Just wondering if anyone is in the same position as me- About a week ago I got credit for 3 topics for trimester 1 and enrolled into 2 second yr tri 1 topics- social sciences 1 and biochemistry.

On Thursday, I received an email saying that I’m not allowed to do 2nd year topics as “students must successfully complete all level 1 courses before enrolling into level 2 courses” and have to drop the 2nd yr topics.

I think they should’ve made this point clear much earlier or is it just a recommendation that it’s better to do all 1st yr topics in 1st yr?

Thanks in advance
You can't do social sciences 1, they make it pretty clear when they state in the course outline 'Students must have successfully completed all preceding year courses to progress to year 2'.

Historically, they have allowed first years to enrol in biochem and microbio, but they've changed the course website this year and it pretty clearly states under course structure that 'Students must successfully complete all Level 1 courses before enrolling in Level 2 courses.'

Last edited:

ahmeja

You can't do social sciences 1, they make it pretty clear when they state in the course outline 'Students must have successfully completed all preceding year courses to progress to year 2'.

Historically, they have allowed first years to enrol in biochem and microbio, but they've changed the course website this year and it pretty clearly states under course structure that 'Students must successfully complete all Level 1 courses before enrolling in Level 2 courses.'

Okay, so I would either have to do 1 topic in tri 1 or do the original 4 topics. I have to stay full time to be eligible for youth allowance but also I’ll have the accredited topics put on HECS. I’ll call them up to discuss this as the rule seems a bit unfair. Thanks

ahmeja

Hey sorry for the late reply! I applied to get credit for 10001MSC and 1014MSC, but they also gave credit to 1005MSC and 1015MSC which was nice. I also applied with B.Sci (only first year tho) at Melbourne Uni, as I did most of the foundation science subjects. Have you sorted everything out since your post? :)
Hey I got credit for those topics as well the 1st yr tri 1 anatomy and cells topic but I do found out that I couldn’t do any 2nd yr pics. Are you going to be par t time?

Jnh

Okay, so I would either have to do 1 topic in tri 1 or do the original 4 topics. I have to stay full time to be eligible for youth allowance but also I’ll have the accredited topics put on HECS. I’ll call them up to discuss this as the rule seems a bit unfair. Thanks
You'll have better luck enrolling in microbio and biochem as they're not school of dentistry subjects.

Hi all

Would anyone know the 2020 ATAR cut-offs for Griffith Dentistry? I graduated in 2019 with an ATAR of 99.60, but didn't apply for Griffith Dent this year. I'm commencing a Bachelor of Health and Medical Science (Advanced) at the University of Adelaide this year, and after calling Griffith Uni, I've been told that they will consider either my GPA or ATAR (whichever one is higher) if I apply for Griffith Dent in 2021.

Thank you!

Unluckydude

TimesCrawler
I've seen your posts before. Do you want to do medicine or dentistry?

If you want to do medicine, take a gap year, meet the English prerequisite and apply for provisional medicine at Griffith. I don't think their med program accepts people who have reported tertiary studies. (Note: I'm 100% sure about admissions into medicine)

For dentistry, they will consider whichever one is higher. And the cut off for this year is 99.00. (Degrees)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
For dentistry, they will consider whichever one is higher. And the cut off for this year is 99.00.
That’s the minimum requirement. In reality it’s more like 99.8 (or at least, has been for the past two years).

Unluckydude

That’s the minimum requirement. In reality it’s more like 99.8 (or at least, has been for the past two years).
That's what I initially thought, but:

QTAC application information
Gold Coast
Bachelor of Dental Health Science
Code

Duration
  • 3 years full time
Prerequisites
English (4SA)
Assumed Knowledge
One of Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Maths B (4SA)
OP*
Rank*
ATAR*
* The above score and rank are from the 2020 admissions round and represent the lowest selection rank to which an offer was made. Selection ranks can change from year to year and should be used as a guide only.
UAC application information (for NSW and ACT applicants)
Gold Coast
Code

Duration
  • 3 years full time
Prerequisites
Any two units of English (Band 2)
Assumed Knowledge
One of Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics
ATAR*
* The above score and rank are from the 2020 admissions round and represent the lowest selection rank to which an offer was made. Selection ranks can change from year to year and should be used as a guide only.

Maybe they have two different cut offs for UAC and QTAC applicants?

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
That's what I initially thought, but:

QTAC application information
Gold Coast
Code

Duration
  • 3 years full time
Prerequisites
English (4SA)
Assumed Knowledge
One of Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Maths B (4SA)
OP*
Rank*
ATAR*
UAC application information (for NSW and ACT applicants)
Gold Coast
Code

Duration
  • 3 years full time
Prerequisites
Any two units of English (Band 2)
Assumed Knowledge
One of Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Mathematics
ATAR*

Maybe they have two different cut offs for UAC and QTAC applicants?
Perhaps QTAC is unable to differentiate between 99+ ATAR students due to Queensland's OP system. Hence why they (correctly) report the true 99.80 ATAR cutoff as OP1 and 99 rank (it technically is) but then (erroneously) directly convert OP1 to its default ATAR value (99.00). Seems like an oversight on QTAC's part, they should've just taken the raw value for ATAR.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Can assure you that the cutoff was above 99.0 - the bachelor of medical science also says the cutoff was 99.0, and we know that isn’t the case either.

Unluckydude

Perhaps QTAC is unable to differentiate between 99+ ATAR students due to Queensland's OP system. Hence why they (correctly) report the true 99.80 ATAR cutoff as OP1 and 99 rank (it technically is) but then (erroneously) directly convert OP1 to its default ATAR value (99.00). Seems like an oversight on QTAC's part, they should've just taken the raw value for ATAR.
Yeah, probably.

Can assure you that the cutoff was above 99.0 - the bachelor of medical science also says the cutoff was 99.0, and we know that isn’t the case either.

There is no way that medical science has a cut-off of 99.00. So yeah, they probably failed to convert OP to ATAR. I thought they introduced a different atar cut-off for school leavers this year so they don't have to directly compete with GPA 7.

Sentinel

can someone clarify this for non standard applicant -
I have a bachelor degree and one incomplete degree (done 1st year) -
The incomplete degree I have high GPA (6.78) and a bachelor degree which is not competitive.
Will Griffith look at my highest GPA (ie. incomplete degree) for selection?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
can someone clarify this for non standard applicant -
I have a bachelor degree and one incomplete degree (done 1st year) -
The incomplete degree I have high GPA (6.78) and a bachelor degree which is not competitive.
Will Griffith look at my highest GPA (ie. incomplete degree) for selection?
I believe they’ll look at the results from your most recent degree - so if the incomplete one is your most recent one, then that’s good news for you.

Sentinel

I believe they’ll look at the results from your most recent degree - so if the incomplete one is your most recent one, then that’s good news for you.
thank you for your reply. No my incomplete degree is not the recent one...

My situation is somewhat complicated. Hoping to find out if there's anyone who's in similar situation as me (and got in)
As above I have 1x incompleted degree but 1 year equivalent (GPA 6.75) - >10 years ago + I have a completed degree (GPA not competitive) + Masters degree (research)

Will Griffith look at all three degrees? And hopefully rank me with incomplete degree. Then i'm not sure what the second discriminator would be when comparing to other candidates

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
My situation is somewhat complicated. Hoping to find out if there's anyone who's in similar situation as me (and got in)
As above I have 1x incompleted degree but 1 year equivalent (GPA 6.75) - >10 years ago + I have a completed degree (GPA not competitive) + Masters degree (research)

Will Griffith look at all three degrees? And hopefully rank me with incomplete degree. Then i'm not sure what the second discriminator would be when comparing to other candidates
I can’t speak for dentistry but the medical school considers each year of a completed masters by research degree as a 7.0 GPA - it would be worth contacting the dental admissions team and asking whether they do the same. I know that they consider completed PhDs as automatic 7.0 GPA.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi, will griffit add UCAT as part of thier selection either this year or next year. Thanks
It’s never been part of their selection criteria before, so there’s no reason for us to think it would be added, but it’s not impossible. I’d think it won’t be added this year but we can’t make predictions beyond then.