Griffith Dentistry Entry 2019

Discussion in 'Dentistry Entrance' started by FutureDent19, Jul 6, 2018.

1. FutureDent19

FutureDent19 New Member

Hi I am currently studying at CQU Oral Health and am looking to apply for Griffith Dent next year. So far I am predicting a GPA of 6.5 at the end of this year (hopefully my second term marks are better than my first :/ ). Would I be competitive with this GPA or am I better off looking forward to next year to improve my marks? Did anyone in 2018 get in with a GPA lower than 6.7? Would it be best to apply at a few universities? Although I don't think I would score well in the UMAT

2. Chrismm

Chrismm New Member

These were some of the Griffith Dentistry offers from MSO (from 2018 offers thread):
    Dentistry
    7.00, NZ, non-standard, CSP
    7.00, non-standard, CSP
    7.00, non-standard, CSP
    7.00, non-standard, CSP
    6.90, non-standard
    6.875, non-standard, CSP
    6.875, non-standard
    6.875, non-standard
    6.79/6.84 (unsure), NZ, non-standard,

It's best to apply to more universities to increase your chances. It's probably too late to register for UMAT now if you haven't already. If you have, just give it your best shot.

3. esh

esh New Member

Hi, just wondering whether a GPA of 7 in a science degree will guarantee a place at Griffith for next yr? Also is there a chance that any previous undergraduate tertiary study (GPA around 6.4) will influence my selection rank?

4. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    Ooh, the first part of that is a yes, but I actually have no idea if the second part negates anything.

Crow or Yamster will know more.

5. Yamster

Yamster Dental Moderator DJ May

QTAC says a secondary ranking is determined and used when appropriate (the meaning's quite vague but I think they only use it in tie-breaker situations). A GPA of 7 should get you in provided that you've got 1 year of full time studies. :)

acbard9 likes this.
  6. sal123

sal123 New Member

Hey, if I got a first class honours at usyd would that guarantee a place at Griffith for next year, or would they combine that with my undergrad GPA?

7. Yamster

Griffith assigns a GPA 7 to a Class I (research year(s)) Honours, so you should get in! :)

acbard9 and sal123 like this.
  8. sal123

sal123 New Member

I know some unis give first class honours to those who get above 85, whereas other unis (such as usyd) award first class to those who get above 80. Would that matter to Griffith (as I got 82) or would they just look at whether its first class honours or not? :)

9. Yamster

They should just look at your honours class (I believe). Best to double check as I don't want to give you false hope but I'm pretty certain that's how it is!

10. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    Do they only use the most recent single year of study? Or will the 7.00 honours year GPA be combined with the GPA from the two years of FTE study prior to the honours year (making it three years total)?

sal123 likes this.
  11. sal123

sal123 New Member

awesome thank you :)
    It depends on whether your honours year is a stand alone honours program or if its embedded in your undergraduate degree. if standalone then they will only use the honours on its own, if embedded then they will combine it with the two years of FTE study prior to honours year - hope that helps

12. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    I was trying to answer your original question (will the honours GPA be added to your undergrad GPA). Did you find the answer somewhere else?

sal123 likes this.
  13. sal123

sal123 New Member

oh right haha, I emailed Griffith a few days ago and they just replied to me.

this is what they said

When assessing your application for the Bachelor of Dental Health Science you will be awarded a rank for each qualification that you have attempted and/or completed. This means that you will be awarded a rank based on your GPA for your completed Bachelor of Science and if your completed honours was a stand alone qualification, you will be awarded a rank based on the classification awarded.

Griffith University will then use the highest rank that you hold to assess your application.

14. Missiee

Missiee New Member

Hi ~

So just wondering,
    My final GPA for this year is 7 (4 units 1st Sem, 4 units 2nd Sem = Full time equivalent) Would Griffith still take into account previous studies more than 9++ years ago in a completely different course? (Unfortunately I did horribly at uni many many moons ago..:confused:)

Thank you ~

15. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    From reading above, it seems they would determine the rank of your GPA for your previous degree, and then also determine the rank GPA of your current degree, and then use the highest from there to determine your eligibility (in your case, your current degree).

16. Yamster

Yep, for UQ and Griffith when applying for undergrad courses they look at your honours grade separately so it's a standalone grade based on your honours year (it's a different story if you're applying for post-grad med).

Missiee, they'd determine a second ranking based on your previous degree but if you're applying with a GPA 7 it's highly unlikely that they'd need to use it for tie-breaking purposes!

17. Missiee

Missiee New Member

Thanks Yamster :)
    I'm hoping the 7 should suffice (fingers crossed)

18. Yvette

Yvette New Member

Hi guys, anyone knows about what exactly full time equivalent means? does that means you have to study as full time?

Thanks.

19. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    You don't have to study as full-time. Doing 2 years of half study load each will count as 1 year FTE.

20. Yvette

Yvette New Member

Thansk A1 I got so panic as I am doing part-time. Cheers.