Griffith Dentistry Entry 2019

Discussion in 'Dentistry Entrance' started by FutureDent19, Jul 6, 2018.

1. acbard9

acbard9 BSc (Pharmacology) III

I was unfortunately unable to defer my offer :( .

2. Dentine

Dentine New Member

Thanks for that A1! Hopefully this is the case, I have also emailed QTAC regarding the issue and will post their response here.

Ahh yep yep sorry my bad, not sure why I keep thinking it's 6.75, I think that was the case a couple years ago - definitely still in favour of the 6.5 'scientific' process/scaling however as it's more reflective of an individuals performance.

3. Dentine

Dentine New Member

Sorry to hear Acbard - was it on/did they suggest any sort of special grounds or you just requested a general deferral and received a rejection? Also did you end up taking the offer in the end?

Cheers

4. acbard9

acbard9 BSc (Pharmacology) III

Dentine

My emails do not seem to suggest that deferral was an option, and I did not seek to apply for deferral, so perhaps you will be more successful in your pursuit if you do request a deferral :) I unfortunately could not take the offer at the end.

5. Dentine

Dentine New Member

Thanks for that acbard, do you know if there are any repercussions/issues with re applying the following year if you have to reject an offer?

Thanks

6. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

Definitely not, you just apply through QTAC or UAC again the following year - the only repercussion would be if you only just made it in on the GPA cutoff and then the cutoff increased the following year (as you’d need to be competitive against the applicants within each year) so if you were in that position you could run the risk of not gaining entry again after declining your offer.

7. semantics

semantics New Member

Hi everyone,
    First time poster. I've completed a year of full time study and obtained a GPA of 6.875. I've just been reading through the forums and was wondering whether there have been any cases on MSO where an applicant with this GPA has not received an offer from Griffith?

8. Yamster

Yamster Dental Moderator Moderator

Don't think so - you should be safe! (fingers crossed).

9. sal123

sal123 New Member

Hey Yamster, do you know if they use a second criteria for admissions (I.e. your bachelors GPA if you've done standalone honours, or your atar, etc..) or is that only used for a tiebreaker?

10. Yamster

They'd use it as a tiebreaker if they were deciding between two candidates for the last spot for example.

11. m3d0001

m3d0001 New Member

Hi Yamster, how many places do you reckon are allocated for non-standards? Considering the relative ease of optaining a GPA of 7 after either doing one year of uni or just honours compared to entire 3 years, do you ever reckon there will be a situation where the supply of people with GPA of 7 exceed the places for all non-standard places? If so, will the tiebreaker be the undergrad GPA for honours students and ATAR for first year students?

12. Yamster

I don't think there are allocations to non-standard/standard spots like med places. I mean that situation isn't impossible but I haven't heard of it ever happening.

In your scenario, let us hypothetically say it does happen, then yes the tiebreaker would be undergrad GPA/ATAR.

13. Dentine

Dentine New Member

With this ranking system - is the candidates overall GPA with the more study ie 1.5years FTE considered or is it simply the final year GPA and x amount of study as the tie breaker

Moreover as a non standard leaver, is it possible to get QTAC to provide us with a ranking? I recall seeing somewhere that you can call up however I am not sure if this is only for SL

Cheers

14. Crow

Crow Moderator Moderator

Overall GPA comes first, then amount of study would be a tiebreaker if you were comparing two candidates with the same level qualification (obviously if you’ve done honours or a higher degree you’d be ranked higher). Final year GPA wouldn’t be part of the ranking system, I wouldn’t think, as Griffith and QTAC both use unweighted GPA.
    It is, but there wouldn’t be any need to do this if you’re just applying for dentistry as they will look at your GPA, not your selection rank. If you call QTAC they should tell you what your GPA has been assessed as, though.

15. Dentine

Dentine New Member

Thanks for that! I wasn't sure as in my case I have a previous degree to my current degree - so from what I gather, they will calculate the GPA from both degrees and use the highest GPA (or most recent degree) for admissions? Also is it confirmed they don't combine GPA between degrees ie will only use my most recent/better degree, otherwise I'm in trouble haha

Ahh I see, ill give them a call tomorrow - cheers!

16. Perplex

Perplex Moderator Moderator

Yes to the former (they'll use the highest mark). WRT the latter, no. Typically unis will not mix and match between degrees for the purposes of GPA calculation as it is difficult to replicate this process between candidates (I imagine) in an objective manner. An exception may be where you have credit from a prior degree, in this case those units may be used in the current GPA calculation.

17. Dentine

Dentine New Member

Thanks for the response Perplex, I hadn't actually considered that as I do have credits from my previous degree - I wonder if anyone on this forum has had a similar experience and can shed some light? I assumed they wouldn't as people are able to apply with only 1 year FTE but your suggestion seems reasonable

18. Dentine

Dentine New Member

Just called QTAC and this is a summary of what they told me if this helps any other candidates

For Griffith:

• Whether advanced standing is calculated in your GPA depends on whether your home uni includes it Ie if there is no grade next to advanced standing/credit it is not calculated
    • GPA is calculated from your home university as stated by A1 and others, it is not converted via Griffiths grading system
    • Griffith rank all your GPA’s from complete and incomplete degrees and choose the highest one
    I wasn’t able to get my gpa as I have only recently submitted but I guess that will tell whether all this is true

Perplex, Crow and LMG! like this.