Griffith Dentistry Entry 2019

Discussion in 'Dentistry Entrance' started by FutureDent19, Jul 6, 2018.

1. sal123

sal123 New Member

I'm still trying to find a scholarship that will fit my criteria as a lot of them seem to fit school leavers more than non standard students. With regards to whether Griffith need to be listed as first preference to get a scholarship, I don't remember exactly where I read it (could actually have been here on MSO), but they did state that if one wanted a scholarship they would have to list Griffith as first preference.

2. Rohit Khanna

Rohit Khanna New Member

Hey everyone hope your holidays have been great so far.
    I was just wondering if there have been any “early offers” scenario for Griffith dentistry.

My apologies if this was asked elsewhere. Thanks in advance

3. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

Griffith MD
    Nope, the first offers will be released in QTAC’s January offer round.

4. sal123

sal123 New Member

Hey crow, would you happen to know whether a first class honours is ranked higher than an OP1/rank 99, or are they ranked equally

5. Yamster

Yamster Dental Moderator DJ May

Assigned a GPA 7 by Griffith, so yes it would be ranked higher than a rank 99. Although, an OP1 can still be a 99.95 so it's not definitively better than an all OP 1's per say but rather the equivalent to a top tier OP1.

sal123 likes this.
  6. Crow

Griffith MD
    To add to what Yamster has said, a rank and an ATAR are two different things. Ranks are something QTAC use to compare students with OPs, GPAs and ATARs for the majority of tertiary courses (a rank is on a scale of 1-99 and any student with an ATAR of 99, an OP1 or a GPA of 6.5+ is given the top rank of 99); however, for highly competitive courses like medicine/dentistry/medical imaging which have too many applicants with ATARs of 99+/GPAs above 6.5, a further discriminating factor needs to be used (usually this is just the ATAR or ATAR equivalent to the OP for QLD students). Essentially, many people can have a rank of 99+, but this isn't usually enough for entry into competitive courses, which is why someone with a GPA of 6.5 will likely miss out on a place offer at Griffith dentistry despite having a rank of 99, whereas one with a 6.8+ (also having a rank of 99) is likely to gain a place offer.

sal123 likes this.
  7. sal123

sal123 New Member

what is the further discriminating factor that they use? i got a first class honours (standalone) and was told that its given a GPA of 7, but based on what you said if thats given a rank of 99 making me equal to everyone else, would they use my bachelor GPA to rank me against those who also achieved rank 99?

8. Crow

Griffith MD
    Sorry, I should've been clearer - the discriminating factor will just be GPA for non-standard applicants. If you have a GPA of 7 then you'll be fine - this can't really be outranked.

As above, the rank is generally only used for courses other than med/dent/medical imaging - I think for Griffith dentistry a rank of 99 may be a minimum requirement but in reality you need an ATAR above 99.5 or a GPA of 6.7+ to be competitive for a place offer.

sal123 likes this.
  9. sal123

sal123 New Member

awesome thank you :)

also, if i applied through qtac, is there any way of finding out if i got in before the 16th seeing as UAC release offers on the 11th? like would i be able to call griffith directly and ask them or would they be secretive about it?

10. Crow

Griffith MD
    I don't think they'll share anything with you unfortunately - you'll likely get a standard response with the QTAC offer dates. Hopefully we'll be able to figure out the GPA cut-off on the UAC offer release date, though.

11. cbeuxbhe283924

cbeuxbhe283924 New Member

Does Griffith still have that thing where you have a better chance of getting in if it is first on preferences?

12. Crow

Griffith MD
    That’s been mentioned on here a few times now. I really don’t believe that’s a thing, nor was it ever a thing, but if someone has evidence of that happening in the past then I’d be keen to see it.

What you DO have a better chance of getting at Griffith if the course is first in your preferences is a Sir Samuel Griffith Scholarship and membership to the Honours College if you applied for these - perhaps this is what people are thinking of when they mention the above? NB - these scholarships are for school-leavers only.

cbeuxbhe283924 likes this.
  13. Dentine

Dentine New Member

Hi Crow, do you know if this secondary factor is confirmed? Ie 1 year FTE of 7 vs 1.5 year FTE of 7

Cheers

14. cbeuxbhe283924

cbeuxbhe283924 New Member

how many places are there for griffith dentistry and usually how many non-standard vs standards places/offers

15. Crow

Griffith MD
    I’m not 100% certain but I believe it to be correct (we don’t get much data on Griffith dentistry entrance on here) - I’ve also read that the GPA from the most recent year of study can also be considered as a secondary discriminator. If you do have a GPA of 7 (as calculatey by Griffith/QTAC) then there’s no need to stress, though - I can’t see a scenario where a GPA 7 misses out on a place offer, tbh.

60 places rings a bell, but I’ll need to confirm that. The majority go to non-standard applicants, from what I’ve read - possibly 2/3 non-standards and 1/3 school-leavers in recent years? Maybe kyleb can give you a more definitive answer for these questions.

16. Dentine

Dentine New Member

Thanks Crow, I do have a 7 as calculated by QTAC, is there a way to get Griffith to give you there calculation? I assumed Griffith use the QTAC calc but I’m seeing a few posts saying they then use their own method?

17. Crow

Griffith MD
    I think it's more that Griffith have the option to calculate scores as they please if they want to do it differently to how QTAC has done it - I think for the most part Griffith will just use what QTAC has, but different institutions sometimes rank applicants differently depending on the course, as well as the applicant's tertiary record. An example would be that someone with a first class (standalone) honours is given a GPA of 7 when applying to Griffith dentistry, but if they applied to JCU dentistry their academic rank would only be calculated based off the results in their undergraduate degree. QTAC's calculated selection rank for this applicant would probably come from a combination of the undergrad degree and the honours result; therefore Griffith and JCU have both ranked this applicant in a different way to how QTAC did. [Please note that I am no expert on this particular matter and if someone else has more information, I'd be pleased to hear it.]

As for asking Griffith how they have calculated your GPA, I doubt that they would provide you with any information, but there would be no harm in asking.

Dentine likes this.
  18. Missiee

Missiee New Member

It’s definitely more than 60. This is from last years cohort: (or so what Qtac has supplied) if you click on the student profile tab it will give you a break down. However, apparently Griffith is a bit on the hush hush about international student numbers. Previous years have also ran around 110/120/107 cohorts.

Course search - QTAC

19. Crow

Griffith MD
    To clarify, I was referring to the domestic student count. The excel file tells me there were 65 enrollments, so I wasn't too far off!
    Application stats for 2014-16 - QTAC --> Data --> Semester 1 2018 --> Table 2A --> Row 508

ETA: The link you've supplied lists place offers, rather than final enrollment numbers, from my understanding.

20. Missiee

Missiee New Member

Sorry! I didn’t mean it to come across in a bad way. My partners in 4th year currently and they started off with 120 (total #) majority are international/non school leavers

Crow likes this.