Griffith Dentistry Entry 2019

Discussion in 'Dentistry Entrance' started by FutureDent19, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

Griffith MD
    It definitely didn't, no need for apologies! :) Yes, no doubt they're making a fair amount of $$ with the final 2 years being FFP and having a bunch of international enrollments too!

2. sal123

sal123 New Member

I might've misunderstood so any clarification would be most helpful - you said griffith will just use what QTAC has but when I contacted QTAC they said my GPA is a 6 (i got first class honours but got below 85), but i thought griffith awarded a GPA of 7 no matter what mark you got as long as it is first class honours... based off what you said would griffith follow QTAC's calculation or their own calculation?

3. Dentine

Dentine New Member

I could be wrong but I think crow was saying that generally for example with normal bachelors degrees Griffith will use the QTAC calculation but because they have that honours rule, then they will see it’s honours on your application and use the class

Crow and sal123 like this.
  4. sal123

sal123 New Member

yeah i think youre probably right.

With the first round offers coming out so soon im just stressing, thinking of all worst case scenarios that might happen.. Gonna be a long 11 days haha kinda regret not applying to UAC

5. Crow

Griffith MD
    Yep, what Dentine said. For school-leavers and those with a simple tertiary record (i.e. a single bachelor’s degree) I’d imagine they just use the QTAC calculation. For those with a more complicated tertiary record (i.e. honours, masters, PhDs, multiple bachelor’s degrees etc), the universities may choose to calculate your entry rank differently - see my example above RE: Griffith vs JCU dentistry.

6. sal123

sal123 New Member

oh so essentially if you applied to lets say griffith and JCU, you wont necessarily have the same mark/rank as they calculate things differently right?
    like griffith would award you a gpa of 7 purely based on your honours but JCU will award you a GPA based on the average of your last three years?

7. Crow

Griffith MD
    That’s my understanding, yes. JCU outright states how they assess academic rank for non-standard applicants, though. Griffith tends to be a bit more secretive, it seems.

sal123 likes this.
  8. sal123

sal123 New Member

awesome thanks crow and dentine :)

Dentine likes this.
  9. Dentine

Dentine New Member

Completely understandable Sal, dw your not alone - id rather not get in on missing the cutoff then not getting in on a technicality. It’s tough because there’s no definitive answer.

You and me both, were both only QTAC applicants so at least we’re in this together, the days following the UAC release will be pretty tough haha

sal123 likes this.
  10. sal123

sal123 New Member

yeah thats definitely my biggest worry haha. Would hate to have not gotten in due to a technicality, and thing is, its happened before to someone (was reported here on MSO) so who knows, could happen again.

definitely haha, gonna be a long 5 days from when uac offers are released

11. DentalHen34583

DentalHen34583 New Member

Hello,
    If I receive credit transfer for my first year of Bachelor of Dental Health Science at GU, will that decrease my tuition cost as an international student?

Thanks in advance!

12. MrWhippe

MrWhippe New Member

I'm not quite understanding this.

Say I were to pursue a Biomedicine degree at La Trobe. If I did the suggested 8 units - 4 a semester - and thus FTE (or can 6 units be considered FTE?) and scored 7 subjects at 85+, and 1 subject at 82, would that be [7x7 +1x6]/8= 6.875. Or would the 82 be calculated higher than a 6 e.g. [7x7 +1x6.5] = 6.93.

13. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    1) If you did 6 units it would be 6/8= 0.75 of a FTE (full-time equiv) year. Even if you did those 6 units part-time over two years it'd still be 0.75 FTE year.

2) The 6.5 or 6.75 is only used by GEMSAS for graduate entry. For non-standards the TACs simply base on your grade CODES, regardless of your marks. Thus for LaTrobe students 7x 85+ and 1x 82 are all HDs so GPA= 7.

14. MrWhippe

MrWhippe New Member

I see! So if I want a GPA of 7 for Griffith, does that mean I would need 8 subjects all over 80? I was under the assumption it was 8 subjects over 85.

15. Dullah

Dullah New Member

Hey Crow,

I just wanted to ask, so from what i gathered in the thread, by doing a Honours year, does that automatically give us a 7.0 GPA when applying for Griffith? If so, that means we would be applying for undergrad at Griffith even after finishing a degree? Are we able to do that?

THanks

16. Crow

Griffith MD
    You need to achieve first class honours to be awarded a GPA 7, not just an honours degree. After sal123 missed out on an offer today it also seems that you need to achieve a first class honours equivalent to over 85+ rather than 80+, otherwise you won’t be awarded a 7.0.

Yes, you’ll be applying to the undergraduate degree and you’re allowed to do this. Technically you can complete as many undergraduate degrees as you would like to, it’s just that some undergraduate medicine and dentistry courses restrict applications to school-leavers; Griffith is not one of the unis that does this for dentistry.

17. Dullah

Dullah New Member

Oh ok thanks mate. I missed out on JCU dentistry offer. Is there a way to find out what part of my application let me down? Content deleted by mod.

18. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    Crow given what you’ve seen today re. first class honours between 80 and 85 not being considered 7.00, do you Griffith DO look at subject scores?

19. Crow

Griffith MD
    I can only assume they do look at the subject scores within the honours degree rather than just the overall class awarded, because sal should’ve been made an offer if not. I’d love to hear from a few more people in a similar situation though to confirm that, but unfortunately I don’t think we’re going to!

20. Crow

Griffith MD
    Unfortunately JCU doesn’t give feedback on applications as far as I’m aware. The reality is non-standard entry is so competitive at JCU that you really need a very high quality written application (in combination with a competitive GPA) to be considered (particularly if you’re a non-rural student).