Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

sal123

They should just look at your honours class (I believe). Best to double check as I don't want to give you false hope but I'm pretty certain that's how it is!
awesome thank you :)
Do they only use the most recent single year of study? Or will the 7.00 honours year GPA be combined with the GPA from the two years of FTE study prior to the honours year (making it three years total)?
It depends on whether your honours year is a stand alone honours program or if its embedded in your undergraduate degree. if standalone then they will only use the honours on its own, if embedded then they will combine it with the two years of FTE study prior to honours year - hope that helps

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
It depends on whether your honours year is a stand alone honours program or if its embedded in your undergraduate degree. if standalone then they will only use the honours on its own, if embedded then they will combine it with the two years of FTE study prior to honours year - hope that helps

I was trying to answer your original question (will the honours GPA be added to your undergrad GPA). Did you find the answer somewhere else?

sal123

I was trying to answer your original question (will the honours GPA be added to your undergrad GPA). Did you find the answer somewhere else?
oh right haha, I emailed Griffith a few days ago and they just replied to me.

this is what they said

When assessing your application for the Bachelor of Dental Health Science you will be awarded a rank for each qualification that you have attempted and/or completed. This means that you will be awarded a rank based on your GPA for your completed Bachelor of Science and if your completed honours was a stand alone qualification, you will be awarded a rank based on the classification awarded.

Griffith University will then use the highest rank that you hold to assess your application.

Missiee

Hi ~

So just wondering,
My final GPA for this year is 7 (4 units 1st Sem, 4 units 2nd Sem = Full time equivalent) Would Griffith still take into account previous studies more than 9++ years ago in a completely different course? (Unfortunately I did horribly at uni many many moons ago..:confused:)

Thank you ~

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi ~

So just wondering,
My final GPA for this year is 7 (4 units 1st Sem, 4 units 2nd Sem = Full time equivalent) Would Griffith still take into account previous studies more than 9++ years ago in a completely different course? (Unfortunately I did horribly at uni many many moons ago..:confused:)

Thank you ~

From reading above, it seems they would determine the rank of your GPA for your previous degree, and then also determine the rank GPA of your current degree, and then use the highest from there to determine your eligibility (in your case, your current degree).

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Yep, for UQ and Griffith when applying for undergrad courses they look at your honours grade separately so it's a standalone grade based on your honours year (it's a different story if you're applying for post-grad med).

Missiee, they'd determine a second ranking based on your previous degree but if you're applying with a GPA 7 it's highly unlikely that they'd need to use it for tie-breaking purposes!

sal123

I've got two questions -

1) Has anyone not gotten into Griffith dentistry despite having a first class stand alone honours (due to low bachelor gpa?), or are they pretty much guaranteed entry?

2) I've read that back in the days if you didn't put Griffith as your first preference it would affect your chances of getting a spot, I was just wondering if that is no longer the case anymore as I've currently got them second on my list and worried that might affect my chances

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hey sal123,

I know of someone who didn't get an offer with first class honours but upon review it ended up being a rank calculation error. They ended up having to wait an additional year to re-apply as the places in the course was already filled (I'm not sure how accurate this information is as it's second hand info) but generally speaking you should pretty much be guaranteed entry with Class I.

Question 2 has been answered previously by A1 here: Dentistry Preference question

sal123

Hey sal123,

I know of someone who didn't get an offer with first class honours but upon review it ended up being a rank calculation error. They ended up having to wait an additional year to re-apply as the places in the course was already filled (I'm not sure how accurate this information is as it's second hand info) but generally speaking you should pretty much be guaranteed entry with Class I.

Question 2 has been answered previously by A1 here: Dentistry Preference question

do you know if they managed to get in second time round? just worried cause I've got a first class honours but my undergraduate GPA is around 6.5 which is below the cutoff.

awesome, guess I wont be changing my preferences. thank you :)

January 16 cannot come soon enough!!!

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Yep, I'm pretty sure they did get in the second year they applied if my memory serves me correctly. All the best! :)

sal123

Hey guys, I know this was asked before but there were conflicting answers so thought id ask again just to confirm

Do you know if Griffith awards a GPA of 7 to those who got second class division one honours or are they awarded a GPA of 6?

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Hey sal123, UQ assignes a rank 99 for Class 2A Honours but Griffith does not I don’t think (can’t remember what the rank equivalent was but might be a GPA 6 like you said). I recall reading somewhere that someone didn’t gain entry into Griffiths program with 2A but best to call the uni and ask as I don’t think Griffith publishes conversion tables like UQ. Crow might know?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey guys, I know this was asked before but there were conflicting answers so thought id ask again just to confirm

Do you know if Griffith awards a GPA of 7 to those who got second class division one honours or are they awarded a GPA of 6?
I don’t believe anyone that received second class honours would be awarded a GPA of 7, a 6 sounds right but to be honest I’m not 100% sure. You may want to contact Griffith to confirm.

Last edited:

rg123

Lurker
Hi everyone,

I have just completed my first year of biomedicine and have two main questions:
1. According to UAC guidelines for GPA calculations, my GPA is 6.8125. Is this considered competitive?
2. I have seen rumours that Griffith requires higher GPA's from first year Uni students (when compared to 2nd and 3rd years). Is this purely speculative, or is this confirmed by Griffith's Uni themselves?

Thank you!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi everyone,

I have just completed my first year of biomedicine and have two main questions:
1. According to UAC guidelines for GPA calculations, my GPA is 6.8125. Is this considered competitive?
2. I have seen rumours that Griffith requires higher GPA's from first year Uni students (when compared to 2nd and 3rd years). Is this purely speculative, or is this confirmed by Griffith's Uni themselves?

Thank you!
1. Yes
2. If you have less than 1FTE of study then I believe you’re ineligible (Yamster can confirm). If a first and second+ year student have the same GPA and they need to decide between them, they will take the student with more study. Otherwise, if you have 1FTE of study then you’ll just need to meet the cutoff GPA for that year (I.e. a student that has completed first year wouldn’t need a higher GPA than other students).

Hope that makes sense.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Yeah, less than 1FTE doesn't rank up to a 99 unfortunately. I actually wasn't aware that first year students required a higher GPA but what Crow said makes sense!