Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

Dr Dent

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Hey, I'm just abit confused. I contacted QTAC regarding my GPA and they said each institution will be using my most recent study which is my honours year, however they said that holds a GPA of 6.0 (it was first class honours, but less than 85).

Does this mean Griffith will see my GPA as 6 and not as first class honours (i.e. GPA of 7)?
Griffith uses its own metrics for assessing GPA. If you have first class and it's a separate degree from your undergraduate (i.e some 4 and 5 year programs have honours included) then Griffith assigns GPA 7 to stand alone first class honours. I would take what QTAC says with a grain of salt.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey, I'm just abit confused. I contacted QTAC regarding my GPA and they said each institution will be using my most recent study which is my honours year, however they said that holds a GPA of 6.0 (it was first class honours, but less than 85).

Does this mean Griffith will see my GPA as 6 and not as first class honours (i.e. GPA of 7)?
Agreed with mzho, the TACs are notorious for providing the wrong information. If your academic transcript says that you received first class honours, then I'd imagine Griffith would award you a GPA of 7.

ETA: To receive a GPA of 7 for the dissertation component of honours at Griffith, you need 80%, not 85%. https://policies.griffith.edu.au/pdf/Bachelor Honours Degree Policy.pdf I assume that even if your transcript records both a % result and an overall Class I, as long as that % is above 80 then there's no reason why Griffith wouldn't award you a GPA of 7.

Last edited:

Missiee

Does anyone's application for Griffith Dent on QTAC still show pending?

Mine also still shows pending ..
After talking with both Griffith and Qtac multiple times apparently this is ‘normal’ until closer to round 1 offer release date and that Griffith already has access to the applications.
Though I keep getting different information/answers so I’m not completely sure.. I was also told at one stage that Griffith has early offer releases that are at the uni’s discretion :confused:

sal123

After talking with both Griffith and Qtac multiple times apparently this is ‘normal’ until closer to round 1 offer release date and that Griffith already has access to the applications.
Though I keep getting different information/answers so I’m not completely sure.. I was also told at one stage that Griffith has early offer releases that are at the uni’s discretion :confused:

where does it say pending exactly? cause as soon as I log in to QTAC, the application status at the top says 'lodged'

Dr Dent

I find your lack of faith disturbing
I
where does it say pending exactly? cause as soon as I log in to QTAC, the application status at the top says 'lodged'
If you go into my course preference. You will see a list of the courses that you chose. Next to each course, there is a tab called Entry Requirements. It either says, Satisfied, Pending or Not Satisfied.

Ok well that gives me some comfort that it's not just me. I'm pertty sure Griffith doesn't do early offers for dentistry.

Last edited by a moderator:

sal123

I

If you go into my course preference. You will see a list of the courses that you chose. Next to each course, there is a tab called Entry Requirements. It either says, Satisfied, Pending or Not Satisfied.
Mine says satisfied, but honestly they probably have so many applications to go through I don't think its anything to worry about

sal123

Just have a question regarding QTAC preferences. I've heard that for Griffith scholarships, you need to have them as first preference.

I currently have James cook as 1st preference and Griffith as 2nd - assuming I get an offer from Griffith in the first round offer, if I were to change preferences to Griffith as my first preference (cause apparently you can change preferences after first round offers), would that be considered as putting Griffith as first preference (hence not affecting any scholarship chances) or would they know that they were initially put as second preference?

(sorry if that didn't make complete sense, was kind of hard to explain)

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Just have a question regarding QTAC preferences. I've heard that for Griffith scholarships, you need to have them as first preference.

I currently have James cook as 1st preference and Griffith as 2nd - assuming I get an offer from Griffith in the first round offer, if I were to change preferences to Griffith as my first preference (cause apparently you can change preferences after first round offers), would that be considered as putting Griffith as first preference (hence not affecting any scholarship chances) or would they know that they were initially put as second preference?

(sorry if that didn't make complete sense, was kind of hard to explain)
I have a feeling the scholarships that follow these rules are just the two major ones (The Sir Samuel Griffith scholarships) which are only open to school-leavers, but I definitely don't know that for sure. Which scholarships are you applying for as a non-standard, if you don't mind me asking? Does Griffith publicise anywhere that they need to be listed as a first preference? I'd imagine scholarships are assigned to applicants ahead of the offers release date (I believe the Sir Samuel Griffith scholarships are, anyways), so you'd need to have Griffith listed as first preference ahead of whatever that date is (assuming it hasn't already happened). Whether they will be able to view your preference history, though, I am unsure of.

sal123

I have a feeling the scholarships that follow these rules are just the two major ones (The Sir Samuel Griffith scholarships) which are only open to school-leavers, but I definitely don't know that for sure. Which scholarships are you applying for as a non-standard, if you don't mind me asking? Does Griffith publicise anywhere that they need to be listed as a first preference? I'd imagine scholarships are assigned to applicants ahead of the offers release date (I believe the Sir Samuel Griffith scholarships are, anyways), so you'd need to have Griffith listed as first preference ahead of whatever that date is (assuming it hasn't already happened). Whether they will be able to view your preference history, though, I am unsure of.
I'm still trying to find a scholarship that will fit my criteria as a lot of them seem to fit school leavers more than non standard students. With regards to whether Griffith need to be listed as first preference to get a scholarship, I don't remember exactly where I read it (could actually have been here on MSO), but they did state that if one wanted a scholarship they would have to list Griffith as first preference.

Nirav1985

Curious dent
Does anyone's application for Griffith Dent on QTAC still show pending?
Mine In Qtac says pending as qtac is yet to determine you meet the entry criteria. When I dropped down to open the “pending”, it say I meet all requirements (English, and assumed knowledge of biology and maths and all that).
I called Qtac and they said someone from assessment team will assess my application anytime.

Mine says satisfied, but honestly they probably have so many applications to go through I don't think its anything to worry about
What is your GPA if you don’t mind me asking. I have 7 GPA of full time first year study. Mine says Pending.

Last edited by a moderator:

sal123

What is your GPA if you don’t mind me asking. I have 7 GPA of full time first year study. Mine says Pending.
well I did honours and got first class so for Griffith it would be a GPA of 7, but for james cook, since they take the last 3 years of study it would be around 6.5 I believe :)

Hey everyone hope your holidays have been great so far.
I was just wondering if there have been any “early offers” scenario for Griffith dentistry.

My apologies if this was asked elsewhere. Thanks in advance

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey everyone hope your holidays have been great so far.
I was just wondering if there have been any “early offers” scenario for Griffith dentistry.

My apologies if this was asked elsewhere. Thanks in advance
Nope, the first offers will be released in QTAC’s January offer round.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Also, I was wondering if you knew what first year was like (cant find the post for it) I.e. what subjects are done, is there any clinical exposure, and whether I can transfer credits from my bachelor of science
Bachelor of Dental Health Science (1577) This has the course list for the undergraduate component of the dentistry course. You can click on any of the subjects to view their course profile for a detailed breakdown of each subject; course content, classes, assessment etc. You'll need to look at the 2018 profiles as currently the 2019 ones are yet to be released (they won't be released until late January or early-mid February, I'd expect).

As for transfer credit, I'd definitely expect you'd be able to get credit for the first year chemistry courses (assuming you covered this in your science degree) - you can apply for credit via the following link once you've received a place offer and enrolled: Griffith University: Single Sign-On

There are only two dentistry-specific subjects in first year. Based off a brief scan of the course profile it doesn't look like you'll get any clinical exposure in first year (only labs, practicals, virtual simulation labs and communication skills classes).

I've personally done all of the first year subjects other than the dentistry-specific ones. I'd be happy to write a brief overview of each of them if requested, though keep in mind it's been a few years since I did them so if there have been changes to teaching staff / course content then my information may not be 100% up-to-date. A brief look over the course profiles tells me not much has changed in the way of content or assessment.

sal123

Bachelor of Dental Health Science (1577) This has the course list for the undergraduate component of the dentistry course. You can click on any of the subjects to view their course profile for a detailed breakdown of each subject; course content, classes, assessment etc. You'll need to look at the 2018 profiles as currently the 2019 ones are yet to be released (they won't be released until late January or early-mid February, I'd expect).

As for transfer credit, I'd definitely expect you'd be able to get credit for the first year chemistry courses (assuming you covered this in your science degree) - you can apply for credit via the following link once you've received a place offer and enrolled: Griffith University: Single Sign-On

There are only two dentistry-specific subjects in first year. Based off a brief scan of the course profile it doesn't look like you'll get any clinical exposure in first year (only labs, practicals, virtual simulation labs and communication skills classes).

I've personally done all of the first year subjects other than the dentistry-specific ones. I'd be happy to write a brief overview of each of them if requested, though keep in mind it's been a few years since I did them so if there have been changes to teaching staff / course content then my information may not be 100% up-to-date. A brief look over the course profiles tells me not much has changed in the way of content or assessment.

ETA: I'll be moving this and further non-accommodation-related discussion to a different thread shortly.

if it's not too much hassle, would you mind writing a brief overview - cause I had a look and i'm fairly certain I covered the majority of them in my science degree which brings me to my next question... do you reckon its better to apply for credit or do the subjects again to freshen up my knowledge and stay up to date with the cohort.

also if I were to apply for credit, would they just give me the mark I was given at my previous university or how does it work exactly

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
if it's not too much hassle, would you mind writing a brief overview - cause I had a look and i'm fairly certain I covered the majority of them in my science degree which brings me to my next question... do you reckon its better to apply for credit or do the subjects again to freshen up my knowledge and stay up to date with the cohort.

also if I were to apply for credit, would they just give me the mark I was given at my previous university or how does it work exactly
I'd definitely try and get as many subjects credited as you can - you're saving yourself over $1000 per subject + a lot of time and stress with assessment in doing so! The lectures in first year run over 2-3 streams for each subject and are run in pretty big theatres; you can essentially take (for free) any subjects that you received credit for by just attending the lectures anyways (they certainly don't police whether you are enrolled in a subject or not - there are probably close to 1000 students enrolled in chem, A&P and CTR so they aren't going to notice an extra student attending) and avoiding the assessment / compulsory classes in doing so; obviously you'd only do this if you felt the need to refresh your knowledge.

You won't have any grades marked on your transcript if the credits are coming from subjects completed at a different university. It would just say something like "Transfer credit from University of Tasmania: Chemistry of Biological Systems I" or something to that effect. Whatever grade you received at the other university won't have any impact on your GPA at Griffith.

I'll write up a brief review of each subject soon.

sal123

I'd definitely try and get as many subjects credited as you can - you're saving yourself over $1000 per subject + a lot of time and stress with assessment in doing so! The lectures in first year run over 2-3 streams for each subject and are run in pretty big theatres; you can essentially take (for free) any subjects that you received credit for by just attending the lectures anyways (they certainly don't police whether you are enrolled in a subject or not - there are probably close to 1000 students enrolled in chem, A&P and CTR so they aren't going to notice an extra student attending) and avoiding the assessment / compulsory classes in doing so; obviously you'd only do this if you felt the need to refresh your knowledge.

You won't have any grades marked on your transcript if the credits are coming from subjects completed at a different university. It would just say something like "Transfer credit from University of Tasmania: Chemistry of Biological Systems I" or something to that effect. Whatever grade you received at the other university won't have any impact on your GPA at Griffith.

I'll write up a brief review of each subject soon.
oh completely forgot about the costs, yeah that definitely makes sense! will definitely be trying to get as many credits as possible.

One last question, I noticed that subjects only say trimester 1 and 2, does that mean we get the entire 3rd trimester off? that's quite a lengthy holiday

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
One last question, I noticed that subjects only say trimester 1 and 2, does that mean we get the entire 3rd trimester off? that's quite a lengthy holiday
You sure do, it's great! I'd imagine you won't be so fortunate once you reach the Masters years, though.