Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

sal123

Yep, what Dentine said. For school-leavers and those with a simple tertiary record (i.e. a single bachelor’s degree) I’d imagine they just use the QTAC calculation. For those with a more complicated tertiary record (i.e. honours, masters, PhDs, multiple bachelor’s degrees etc), the universities may choose to calculate your entry rank differently - see my example above RE: Griffith vs JCU dentistry.
oh so essentially if you applied to lets say griffith and JCU, you wont necessarily have the same mark/rank as they calculate things differently right?
like griffith would award you a gpa of 7 purely based on your honours but JCU will award you a GPA based on the average of your last three years?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
oh so essentially if you applied to lets say griffith and JCU, you wont necessarily have the same mark/rank as they calculate things differently right?
like griffith would award you a gpa of 7 purely based on your honours but JCU will award you a GPA based on the average of your last three years?
That’s my understanding, yes. JCU outright states how they assess academic rank for non-standard applicants, though. Griffith tends to be a bit more secretive, it seems.

Dentine

yeah i think youre probably right.

With the first round offers coming out so soon im just stressing, thinking of all worst case scenarios that might happen.. Gonna be a long 11 days haha kinda regret not applying to UAC

Completely understandable Sal, dw your not alone - id rather not get in on missing the cutoff then not getting in on a technicality. It’s tough because there’s no definitive answer.

You and me both, were both only QTAC applicants so at least we’re in this together, the days following the UAC release will be pretty tough haha

sal123

Completely understandable Sal, dw your not alone - id rather not get in on missing the cutoff then not getting in on a technicality. It’s tough because there’s no definitive answer.

You and me both, were both only QTAC applicants so at least we’re in this together, the days following the UAC release will be pretty tough haha
yeah thats definitely my biggest worry haha. Would hate to have not gotten in due to a technicality, and thing is, its happened before to someone (was reported here on MSO) so who knows, could happen again.

definitely haha, gonna be a long 5 days from when uac offers are released

Nirav1985

Curious dent
As the offer round date is approaching real soon. Have these three questions eating my conscious at 3 am.

1) Does Griffith give preference to PhD, Masters, Honours, completed Bachelors, Completed two years of bachelor and then Completed one year of bachelor?

2) Do they have seperate quota for International students, HSC students and others (non-standard) applicants ?

3) In terms of preference on UAC, am I likely to get an offer even if I have Griffith as a second preference? I mean, does Griffith has access to my application preferences, and will they know if I have them as a second preference. If so, is there any chances of bias, like they may say since I have them as a second preference, they will be giving offer to those applicants who have Griffith as a first preference. I understand that one can receive only one offer per offer round. I am just worried as I know I m more likely not getting any offer from CSU and still has CSU as first preference. But don’t want to miss out Griffith in this scenario.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey Nirav, I completely understand how stressful the application process can be (having gone through it multiple times myself) but it looks like you may be overthinking some things a bit now.

This won’t do any good for your application (and more importantly, yourself) at this point - so my recommendation would definitely be to do anything you can to distract yourself and relax until the offers are released. Do whatever works for you - go for a run or to the gym, read a book, go for a hike, try some baking, treat yourself to a nice outing with friends or family.

It can turn into a really long ordeal if you begin to question every component of the admissions process, and if it’s keeping you up late every night then it’s something you should be trying your best to avoid. You’re welcome to PM me for a chat if you wish. :)

Regarding your questions:
1) Does Griffith give preference to PhD, Masters, Honours, completed Bachelors, Completed two years of bachelor and then Completed one year of bachelor?
A PhD and a completed masters by research that is non-graded are awarded a GPA of 7 automatically, so yes they’ll take precedence over other degrees. As for the others, it depends - if you have a higher GPA in your one year of a bachelor vs someone with two bachelor degrees, then you should receive the offer over them because GPA is their key selection criterion.
2) Do they have seperate quota for International students, HSC students and others (non-standard) applicants ?
There are two quotas - international students (who go through a completely different admissions process) and domestic students (this includes all Australian and New Zealand school leavers as well as those with tertiary study). All domestic students are in the same pool and are therefore “competing” against each other for a place.
3) In terms of preference on UAC, am I likely to get an offer even if I have Griffith as a second preference?
Preference order will play no role in the likelihood of you receiving an offer - you’ll receive an offer for the highest preference that you are eligible for. An applicant with Griffith as 6th preference but with a GPA of 6.9 outranks someone with Griffith as first preference but a GPA of 6.8, for example.

Nirav1985

Curious dent
Hey Nirav, I completely understand how stressful the application process can be (having gone through it multiple times myself) but it looks like you may be overthinking some things a bit now.

This won’t do any good for your application (and more importantly, yourself) at this point - so my recommendation would definitely be to do anything you can to distract yourself and relax until the offers are released. Do whatever works for you - go for a run or to the gym, read a book, go for a hike, try some baking, treat yourself to a nice outing with friends or family.

It can turn into a really long ordeal if you begin to question every component of the admissions process, and if it’s keeping you up late every night then it’s something you should be trying your best to avoid. You’re welcome to PM me for a chat if you wish. :)

A PhD and a completed masters by research that is non-graded are awarded a GPA of 7 automatically, so yes they’ll take precedence over other degrees. As for the others, it depends - if you have a higher GPA in your one year of a bachelor vs someone with two bachelor degrees, then you should receive the offer over them because GPA is their key selection criterion.

There are two quotas - international students (who go through a completely different admissions process) and domestic students (this includes all Australian and New Zealand school leavers as well as those with tertiary study). All domestic students are in the same pool and are therefore “competing” against each other for a place.
Preference order will play no role in the likelihood of you receiving an offer - you’ll receive an offer for the highest preference that you are eligible for. An applicant with Griffith as 6th preference but with a GPA of 6.9 outranks someone with Griffith as first preference but a GPA of 6.8, for example.

Thank you for your extensive reply. And thank you for being kind.
You are right I m overthinking. Whatever meant to happen at this stage will happen, and will find out this Friday.
Thank you
Regards,
Nirav

sal123

would you happen to know the quota for domestic students? also has there ever been a case where they had too many applicants with a GPA of 7 that some of them missed out on a place?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
would you happen to know the quota for domestic students? also has there ever been a case where they had too many applicants with a GPA of 7 that some of them missed out on a place?
Application stats for 2014-16 - QTAC --> Data --> Semester 1 2018 --> Table 2A --> Row 508 Griffith made 97 offers with a total of 65 enrollments last year; I'm unsure of the exact quota for domestic students but I'd imagine Griffith over-offers in anticipation for a reasonably high number of declines (due to students accepting interstate offers for medicine/dentistry instead, as well as going to UQ or JCU if it's a higher preference for them). I expect the quota is somewhere between 65 and 100 (probably closer to 100) but it's less of an issue for Griffith as the final two years are full-fee and therefore they aren't relying on the government to support additional CSP positions if they were to have more acceptances than they expected.

No, the GPA cut-off has never risen to 7 - I don't think it's ever been higher than 6.8 in any admissions cycle (including all offer rounds), actually, but I'd wager it will possibly get to that point in the coming years.

Nirav1985

Curious dent
Application stats for 2014-16 - QTAC --> Data --> Semester 1 2018 --> Table 2A --> Row 508 Griffith made 97 offers with a total of 65 enrollments last year; I'm unsure of the exact quota for domestic students but I'd imagine Griffith over-offers in anticipation for a reasonably high number of declines (due to students accepting interstate offers for medicine/dentistry instead, as well as going to UQ or JCU if it's a higher preference for them). I expect the quota is somewhere between 65 and 100 (probably closer to 100) but it's less of an issue for Griffith as the final two years are full-fee and therefore they aren't relying on the government to support additional CSP positions if they were to have more acceptances than they expected.

No, the GPA cut-off has never risen to 7 - I don't think it's ever been higher than 6.8 in any admissions cycle (including all offer rounds), actually, but I'd wager it will possibly get to that point in the coming years.

This is comforting.

DrLeo

I believe the quota for Griffith is around 80 domestic places and there’s usually around 10-15 international places.
You’ll find that 10-15 will slowly drop off during the course for various reasons such as not being able to handle the level of study/stress etc, not doing enough research as to what’s involved in dentistry as they assumed it was going to be just fillings (I had a colleague actually say they don’t like the sight of blood and didn’t think they’d see much in dentistry....how wrong were they!!!!). You’ll always get some students that always had their heart set on saving the world in medicine so they leave as it’s easier to get into medicine in some unis than it is for dent due to the extremely large numbers of med offers now.

Nirav1985

Curious dent
I believe the quota for Griffith is around 80 domestic places and there’s usually around 10-15 international places.
You’ll find that 10-15 will slowly drop off during the course for various reasons such as not being able to handle the level of study/stress etc, not doing enough research as to what’s involved in dentistry as they assumed it was going to be just fillings (I had a colleague actually say they don’t like the sight of blood and didn’t think they’d see much in dentistry....how wrong were they!!!!). You’ll always get some students that always had their heart set on saving the world in medicine so they leave as it’s easier to get into medicine in some unis than it is for dent due to the extremely large numbers of med offers now.

I completely agree on the last point. After trying for 5 years to get into Dentistry. I have come to realisations that get into medicine is relatively easier as compared to getting in to dentistry. And I don’t know, but’s it’s a dream for me to get into dentistry. Mum is a doctor. Admire the profession. But I simply love dentistry. I agree. It is a tough call. Hope to get Into. And hoping to successfully complete it.

DrLeo

Fantastic Nirav.
That’s the kind of people we need in dentistry....ones that actually want to do it!
Many people I know that went down the path of medicine are regretting their choice and wishing they had done dent as they are still trying to figure out what branch of medicine they will pursue and if they know, many of them are still trying to get into training programs. They also get tired of overtime, on call and the pretty ordinary pay until you have finished your specialty.
Lucky for us we get to do Mon-Fri (Sat if desired) and don’t find ourselves having to come in at undesirable times for “pain” that can usually wait until the morning to be addressed!

Nirav1985

Curious dent
Fantastic Nirav.
That’s the kind of people we need in dentistry....ones that actually want to do it!
Many people I know that went down the path of medicine are regretting their choice and wishing they had done dent as they are still trying to figure out what branch of medicine they will pursue and if they know, many of them are still trying to get into training programs. They also get tired of overtime, on call and the pretty ordinary pay until you have finished your specialty.
Lucky for us we get to do Mon-Fri (Sat if desired) and don’t find ourselves having to come in at undesirable times for “pain” that can usually wait until the morning to be addressed!

I have so much to talk about dentistry and dreamed so much . But I just want to hold my breathe at this stage. It hurts when you dream and it does not come true, then you roll your sleeves and try for another year. Hahaha. Sincerely hoping the positive outcome this year. Have GPA of 7 in full time first year studies of Science. Lol. I have completed 3 bachelors degrees intending to improve GPA. Finally reached to the stage this year.
Hahaha..

sal123

I have so much to talk about dentistry and dreamed so much . But I just want to hold my breathe at this stage. It hurts when you dream and it does not come true, then you roll your sleeves and try for another year. Hahaha. Sincerely hoping the positive outcome this year. Have GPA of 7 in full time first year studies of Science. Lol. I have completed 3 bachelors degrees intending to improve GPA. Finally reached to the stage this year.
Hahaha..
if you dont mind me asking, why not just complete an honours year? its only for 1 year and guaranteed entry to dent if you get first class honours?

Nirav1985

Curious dent
if you dont mind me asking, why not just complete an honours year? its only for 1 year and guaranteed entry to dent if you get first class honours?

I thought of considering it. The only thing. I had to do it on campus. I have full time work. Can not leave it unless I am definite to study Dentistry.
This is the only thing.
And thought I will get 7 GPA which luckily I Did. So all equal now.

DrLeo

7.0 with science should be good enough to get into Dent at Griffith as long as you didn’t take any transfer credits and have completed 8 full subjects in the calendar year?!?

Nirav1985

Curious dent
7.0 with science should be good enough to get into Dent at Griffith as long as you didn’t take any transfer credits and have completed 8 full subjects in the calendar year?!?

Yes that is correct. No transfer credit. Purely a new degree with mixture of some first year, second year and third year subjects. Mostly into physiology, anatomy, physics, microbiology, Immunology, pharmacology, pathology and biochemistry.
8 subjects, full time studies.

Dentine

Hey Dr Leo, thanks for the insight into dent

I'd just like to ask in what sense are you referring to transfer credit? Do you mean carry over grades from another degree?

Cheers