Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

LJess94

for the last two years at Griffith, its 150k. Does we pay this through hecs whilst working?
I doubt you would have enough time to do much paid work during the last 2 years as it’s a full time masters degree with a lot of clinical hours.
You can defer to HECS but there’s a limit of $155,448

The current cost at Griffith for all 5 years is $159,500 and so you would need to front a few thousand up front.

also, if you’ve done any other study your limit remaining may not be the full amount and so the amount you will need to pay out of pocket may be more

jampa123

I doubt you would have enough time to do much paid work during the last 2 years as it’s a full time masters degree with a lot of clinical hours.

The current cost at Griffith for all 5 years is $159,500 and so you would need to front a few thousand up front.

also, if you’ve done any other study your limit remaining may not be the full amount and so the amount you will need to pay out of pocket may be more
thanks for that i did not consider this

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
This isn't right, it's 150 throughout the whole degree
Source? It's the Master's component (final two years) that is full fee - $64000 per year. Degrees

ETA: Oh, I see what you were correcting. Although 128k and 150k are pretty comparable to me in terms of being obscene amounts of money that would be difficult for most people to come up with out of pocket without HELP assistance!

Unluckydude

for the last two years at Griffith, its 150k. Do we pay this through hecs whilst working?

I think jampa123 was talking about paying back the HECS loan after you graduate and start working as a dentist. As far as I understand, you get FEE-HELP instead of HECS for full-fee places. It is kind of similar to HECS and you pay the government back after you start working. You get a combined limit of HECS and FEE-HELP.

I remember someone on this forum said the fees are actually slightly cheaper than the indicative fees listed on Griffith's website. In addition to that, you can receive credits for some general science subjects you've completed under your previous degrees.

Unluckydude

Yes, I mean whether it's part of the degree itself :)

Oh yes, now I see that one the "Master of Dentistry" webpage!
Most dental degrees in Australia would have a research component as part of the degree, but I don't know any dental schools that have an entire year dedicated to research. TBH, five years are only enough to teach dental students some basic procedures. It would be a waste of time for dental students to spend too much time on research. I heard that some medical schools allow students to do a research year, but dentistry is a bit different.

However, if you're interested in becoming a researcher or if there is a topic you really like, you can complete a research honours (one year) under another discipline. For example, you might able to do oral candidiasis under microbiology or cleft palates under developmental biology.
Some universities even allow you to do a PhD on a dental topic. But additional studies are not required if you want to become a research dentist. A lot of research dentists only have a basic dental degree, can you tell me why you want to do a research year?

jampa123

I think jampa123 was talking about paying back the HECS loan after you graduate and start working as a dentist. As far as I understand, you get FEE-HELP instead of HECS for full-fee places. It is kind of similar to HECS and you pay the government back after you start working. You get a combined limit of HECS and FEE-HELP.

I remember someone on this forum said the fees are actually slightly cheaper than the indicative fees listed on Griffith's website. In addition to that, you can receive credits for some general science subjects you've completed under your previous degrees.
Wow that sounds like good news. I have done 2 full years of uni (not a science related degree), around 22k in debt (therefore around 133k left in hecs). Do you think I'd have to pay anything upfront (before graduating) or will the FEE-help come in clutch.

Caffeine

Wow that sounds like good news. I have done 2 full years of uni (not a science related degree), around 22k in debt (therefore around 133k left in hecs). Do you think I'd have to pay anything upfront (before graduating) or will the FEE-help come in clutch.
If it's 160 in total based on current fees would have to pay between 27k prior to graduating

Hey all, I'm a current dental student at Griffith, and I was here years ago on this chat like you guys XD so I thought it'd be cool to help out if anyone wanted. I don't know much about admissions, but anything related to courses, what exactly we do every year, clinics etc I'm happy to help with :) from my experience

ARAGORN

Hi Leiaskywalker,
At the cost of year 4 and 5 at Griffith, do you have any idea of the failure rate for year 4 and 5 students and how many have to repeat these years? Also the general number of repeat students per year.

Hi Leiaskywalker,
At the cost of year 4 and 5 at Griffith, do you have any idea of the failure rate for year 4 and 5 students and how many have to repeat these years? Also the general number of repeat students per year.

From what I know, it's 1-2 in any cohort... if any :) In the simulation labs, they give you 1-2 chances after, (supplementary exams) and extra practice sessions if you didn't pass in the practicals, so it's all very doable. Hope that helped

Unluckydude

I don't know exactly how much the tuition fees are. If I were you, I would prepare 20-50K even if I believe hecs will cover everything.

Hi Leiaskywalker,
I can't comment specifically on Griffith. But some dental schools allow students to resit practical exams (and probably theory exams as well) several times so most students can pass.

could someone (preferrably in the current griffith dent cohort) confirm the annual and hence total fees? for the standard australian citizens!

their website is really hard to understand