Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Dentistry General Discussion

Sherlock

Staff
Does it matter if I don’t have the documents before the start date since a working with children’s check takes 8 weeks to process :’(
It shouldn't take that long. I remember mine took 24 hours, if that. I don't think it will be a huge deal if you don't have it before start date. You won't be doing placements etc. immediately.

Helmut

äaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Does it matter if I don’t have the documents before the start date since a working with children’s check takes 8 weeks to process :’(
It doesn't take nearly as long as the quoted time, in my experience. My friend got his almost as soon as he had finished the application process, and I received mine as soon as they re-opened after their New Year break. It should only take weeks if they have to run a more thorough background check on you for whatever reason.

hhitch

yo for anyone who got an offer via UAC, to accept the offer did you just enrol in the courses via myGriffith? I cant seem to find an 'accept' button via UAC. But I have a student number now and it has a green tick for the courses on myGriffith > Management enrolment, but no confirmation email offically stating ive enrolled. MrWhippe

yo for anyone who got an offer via UAC, to accept the offer did you just enrol in the courses via myGriffith? I cant seem to find an 'accept' button via UAC. But I have a student number now and it has a green tick for the courses on myGriffith > Management enrolment, but no confirmation email offically stating ive enrolled. MrWhippe
I was also skeptical at first, because when i enrolled at unimelb last year i had to accept. I actually had a live chat with one of the Griffith staff members earlier and they said that enrolling in subjects is equivalent to accepting the offer. So you should be fine. If you want confirmation (like i did since im a worrywart :p) you can ask them and they will let you know if you have successfully accepted the offer.

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
You won't receive a formal email in response to your enrollment, but if you've enrolled through Griffith and can see this in myGriffith then you should be all good!

hhitch

I was also skeptical at first, because when i enrolled at unimelb last year i had to accept. I actually had a live chat with one of the Griffith staff members earlier and they said that enrolling in subjects is equivalent to accepting the offer. So you should be fine. If you want confirmation (like i did since im a worrywart :p) you can ask them and they will let you know if you have successfully accepted the offer.
cheers - the person sent me a confirmation email saying i have enrolled in 40CP, but didn't confirm I had accepted the offer. But from what you are saying, it seems to be equivalent.

Crow

Moderator Band 🦧
Does the green ticks mean Im all good and officially accepted the offer? I believe tomorrow is the final day for accepting the offer, so just want to make sure its all g. Cheers
Crow Futuredentstud MrWhippe
Yep, there should also be a button “Enrolled timetable”, so if you can click on that and see your timetable then you’re definitely good to go!

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
just checking if you get into dental health science at Griffith, you automatically get into the masters programme ???
Yes, this is correct. As far as we know, it's just separated out so that the first three years can be CSP (the last two are FFP).

hhitch

I was talking to someone and apparently you gotta maintain a certain GPA to make sure you graduate with dent, otherwise you graduate with Oral health? And apparently if you fail a subject you will never be eligible for the Masters program, hence not able to graduate as a dentist? Any current students that can confirm/deny this? cerebralataxia76258 LMG!! Crow

LMG!

I was talking to someone and apparently you gotta maintain a certain GPA to make sure you graduate with dent, otherwise you graduate with Oral health? And apparently if you fail a subject you will never be eligible for the Masters program, hence not able to graduate as a dentist? Any current students that can confirm/deny this? cerebralataxia76258 LMG!! Crow
If so (and I actually doubt it) that's very, very harsh! Med students (and all others!) can fail an entire year, re-sit it, and still graduate with a medical degree. Maintaining a 'pass' GPA is obviously a necessity, as it is for all degrees.

ETA: Exit degrees for people who fail to make appropriate progress are relatively commonplace (they are everywhere in Med too), but it's not common that people need to utilise them.

If so (and I actually doubt it) that's very, very harsh! Med students (and all others!) can fail an entire year, re-sit it, and still graduate with a medical degree. Maintaining a 'pass' GPA is obviously a necessity, as it is for all degrees.
You just need to pass all of the course required to go into the subsequent year regardless of GPA :)

So to get into 4th year (first year of masters) you need to pass all of the courses and units in third year

LMG!

You just need to pass all of the course required to go into the subsequent year regardless of GPA :)

So to get into 4th year (first year of masters) you need to pass all of the courses and units in third year
Yes, which would be consistent with all degrees. But does not passing something mean you are excluded from repeating the year/unit/course?

Nah you just have to repeat the course (ie the year) you failed in. Sorry I probably should’ve been more clearer!! :(

e.g if student a fails a course in 3rd year they’ll have to repeat 3rd year regardless of how the failed or why

I guess the question was what happens if you fail a unit, are you allowed a supp exam to pass it, or if you fail that too are you allowed to repeat the unit to catch up?
If you fail a unit within a course you repeat the whole course. Historically all units were in one course so if you failed a SUPP you had to repeat all of the units but from this year on they divide units into multiple courses so that a) if you stuff up one unit it doesn’t impact the whole grade in one course (for gpa) and b) if you fail a unit within a course that has only 2 units you only have to repeat those two units the following year