Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

1. NSW HSC 2016 (97.95) 2. Two years tertiary studies (5.00 / 7 GPA) 3. 1 year FTE studies in new undergraduate degree @ different uni (7.00 / 7) with no credit transfers from prev. degree. What are chances of entry with these stats for 2020? Also, does QTAC rank Hons 1/PhD higher than undergrad? Cheers all !! ~~ Yamster A1 Cal Chuchesta Crow Unluckydude

A1

Rookie Doc
1. NSW HSC 2016 (97.95) 2. Two years tertiary studies (5.00 / 7 GPA) 3. 1 year FTE studies in new undergraduate degree @ different uni (7.00 / 7) with no credit transfers from prev. degree. What are chances of entry with these stats for 2020? Also, does QTAC rank Hons 1/PhD higher than undergrad? Cheers all !! ~~ Yamster A1 Cal Chuchesta Crow Unluckydude

From what I read earlier in this thread a new 1year FTE with GPA 7.0 should get you Griffith Dent.

A PhD is given 7.0, an Hons 1 standalone degree is also 7.0 if the transcript does not show numeric marks. If it also shows numeric marks between 80-85 the 7.0 may be scaled down to 6.something and may miss the 6.875 cutoff.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I don’t think PhD or first class honours ranks higher than a 7.0 result in an undergraduate degree. If it came to a point where more applicants had 7.0 GPA than positions available, I think they’d probably first cull those with only 1FTE year of study completed and so on, I.e. those with PhD and honours would be in the best position. However, that seems unlikely to happen.

I don’t think PhD or first class honours ranks higher than a 7.0 result in an undergraduate degree. If it came to a point where more applicants had 7.0 GPA than positions available, I think they’d probably first cull those with only 1FTE year of study completed and so on, I.e. those with PhD and honours would be in the best position. However, that seems unlikely to happen.

Ahh i see , yeah because I did 8 first-year-level subjects over 1 year FTE. But as you said, maybe this only matters if there are more applicants with perfect gpa’s than spots, but getting first class honours or a PhD is very difficult regardless. Or maybe thell cull use atar or prev. tertiary studied. I remember emailing them last year and for 2019 they said the cut off was 6.85-6.875 with some 6.75’s

If it came to a point where more applicants had 7.0 GPA than positions available, I think they’d probably first cull those with only 1FTE year of study completed and so on, I.e. those with PhD and honours would be in the best position. However, that seems unlikely to happen.

i guess getting a 7.00 GPA over 1 year FTE is very rare and most ppl with that mark wouldnt be applying to dentisery anyway, but idk the site isnt very clear and you cant really get higher than a 7 lol.

If anyone has information on the above quote by crow feel free to comment lol

Last edited:

Dnama

Is there any griffith uni dent grads who could tell me how they are managing with regards to the fee help loan?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Is there any griffith uni dent grads who could tell me how they are managing with regards to the fee help loan?
The earnings of a dentistry grad are pretty good (if they’re employed), and there’s no time limit on paying back the loan, so it’s probably not a major issue for them.

Hello, i was wondering how GPA would be calculated for unimelb applicants. At unimelb, they give H2B for 70-74% and H1 to 80%. (If i recall correctly i think H2 is equivalent to D and H1 is equivalent to HD).
One of my grade i 73% and one of my other grade is 82% , whereas the rest is above 85% .

I am not sure if 73%= 6 or 5 according to GPA
and not sure if 82%= 7 or 6 points according to GPA calculation.

FYI: i am not sure if the academic transcript records numerical marks or not.

Thanks in advanced :)

Cal

vibe
Hello, i was wondering how GPA would be calculated for unimelb applicants. At unimelb, they give H2B for 70-74% and H1 to 80%. (If i recall correctly i think H2 is equivalent to D and H1 is equivalent to HD).
One of my grade i 73% and one of my other grade is 82% , whereas the rest is above 85% .

I am not sure if 73%= 6 or 5 according to GPA
and not sure if 82%= 7 or 6 points according to GPA calculation.

FYI: i am not sure if the academic transcript records numerical marks or not.

Thanks in advanced :)
Since you don't know if your transcript records numerical marks then there are two possibilities:
1. If it does show percentages - then griffith will give you a 5 for the 73% and they will give you a 6 for the 82%
2. If it doesn't show then then it will take your 73% (H2B) as a 6 and your 82% (H1) as a 7

Don't you get a transcript at the end of semester (I know I do)?, so you should be able to take a look at that to see what it gives.

Cal

vibe
Unimelb doesnt give an academic transcript, but you have to pay for one which cost $20. I found a sample and unfortunately they record both the numerical and non-numerical grade :(

https://students.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/3196305/sample_academic-transcript.pdf .

i guess i wont get into dental school :'(
Don't lose hope just yet; did you apply for anywhere else? and one other thing you might be able to do is try and get a last ditch remark to improve your marks; I know at my uni they have final exam viewings where you can look through and try and find as many things as possible that could be incorrect. What you do is you find all those, make a wayy bigger deal out of them then they actually are then contact your cc and ask for a remark. If you find enough of these you would probably be able to snag that 3% and 2% in those courses to get you over the hurdle.

Don't give up; there is always a way if you really are dedicated enough :)

A1

Rookie Doc
1. If it does show percentages - then griffith will give you a 5 for the 73% and they will give you a 6 for the 82%

I'm curious how certain are you of this^?

We know in general QTAC does the GPA calculation for the unis. We have also been told by QTAC they use the grades (HD, D...) alone even when the percentage marks are present.

That^ is unless Griffith specifically instructs QTAC to calculate in Griffith's way for Griffith. I'm curious if anyone has confirmation of this Griffith's instruction?

Cal

vibe
I'm curious how certain are you of this^?

We know in general QTAC does the GPA calculation for the unis. We have also been told by QTAC they use the grades (HD, D...) alone even when the percentage marks are present.

That^ is unless Griffith specifically instructs QTAC to calculate in Griffith's way for Griffith. I'm curious if anyone has confirmation of this Griffith's instruction?
whoops meant percentages alone; not too sure but just assumed that since Unimelb doesn't specifically use HD and D they use another Wording for it; unless they only have access to that and no percentages they would probably use what is easiest to convert. But I am probably wrong, could always contact griffith/QTAC about it to find out.

haroon

Lurker
Hi everyone,

I have just completed a bachelor of science (1st year) with a GPA of 7 and I have applied for Griffith dent. My only concern is that I did a bachelor of podiatry for 3 years with a GPA of 4.4 at QUT and I was wondering if that past GPA would affect my current GPA of 7 at Griffith science. Forgot to mention that the podiatry degree was left uncompleted so I am still an undergraduate.

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
You should be sweet, haroon. QTAC allocates different rankings per degree studied and Griffith uses the highest one if I recall correctly. The secondary ranking might be used as a tie-breaker for borderline scores but with a GPA of 7.0 you're pretty much in, I'd say!

You should be sweet, haroon. QTAC allocates different rankings per degree studied and Griffith uses the highest one if I recall correctly. The secondary ranking might be used as a tie-breaker for borderline scores but with a GPA of 7.0 you're pretty much in, I'd say!
I think this assumes no credit transfers b/w degrees as well? , and has to be at least 1 year full-time or more (so 8 subjects depending on the uni - FTE) Yamster