Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi,

Does anyone know if its possible enroll only three subjects for the trimester 1?
exc pre-clinical dental science?
Thank you.
Yes, you can enrol in however many subjects you'd like to. Note, though, that certain subjects in future will require you to have completed the prerequisite courses before you can do them, so do some research ahead of time and choose wisely so that it doesn't disrupt your progression through the program too much.

>_>

Do we need to enroll and pay for the entire year? Or just the first Trimester. Coming from Auckland uni, we'd enroll both sems first but I can't seem to find that option at the moment. (

Jnh

Do we need to enroll and pay for the entire year? Or just the first Trimester. Coming from Auckland uni, we'd enroll both sems first but I can't seem to find that option at the moment. (
If you're a domestic student you enrol and pay for first trimester only, not the full year. Enrolment for 2nd trimester will open later in the year.

Does anyone know if we need to get a blue card, get a police check, immunisation records etc. listed here, Bachelor of Dental Health Science (Yrs 1 to 3) / Masters of Dentistry (Yrs 4 & 5) in our first year, or is it for later years? Just wondering if I should stress about getting everything done now or do it during the year cerebralataxia76258

Its due by end of T1 in your first year (around may-june). Im doing my admin shit now anyway even tho its really early

wgp

Hi everyone,
Is griffit/QTAC looking at your most recent degree which is 1 yer FTE or they gonna combine all your uncompleted tertiary studies.

Last edited:

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Your latest degree, not sure if they’ll combine it if you studied your new degree at the same tertiary institution but it it’s done at a different university then you will have a seperate ranking for admissions.

Reactions: wgp

wgp

Your latest degree, not sure if they’ll combine it if you studied your new degree at the same tertiary institution but it it’s done at a different university then you will have a seperate ranking for admissions.
Can I call qtac to confirm wether they combine in case of completing your most recent 1 year FTE at the same institution.Also what about UAC?

Yamster

Dental Moderator
Emeritus Staff
Yep, qtac and uac should be able to tell you your seperate rankings if you call them.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
hey guys anyone know if the Griffith first year dent lectures are compulsory or if we can watch them online?
As a general rule, lectures are recorded and are not compulsory. I can say with certainty this is the case for all first year subjects dental students take, other then the dent-specific subject (which I’m sure would be the same as well - but I haven’t done it as I’m not a dent student).

wgp

Yep, qtac and uac should be able to tell you your seperate rankings if you call them.
Called QTAC but didn’t get a solid response, can anyone else confirm wether it matter to do your new degree at same institution or a different uni, in regards to getting a ranking from QTAC when applying to dent/Med.
Also will QTAC be combining GPA from previous degrees if done at same or different institution.

Jnh

Called QTAC but didn’t get a solid response, can anyone else confirm wether it matter to do your new degree at same institution or a different uni, in regards to getting a ranking from QTAC when applying to dent/Med.
Also will QTAC be combining GPA from previous degrees if done at same or different institution.
They don't combine scores achieved at seperate universities. They do combine results from 2 different courses from the same institution.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
No, it doesn’t matter. New degree = new GPA regardless of whether it’s at the same institution or not. Griffith will use the results from the most recent degree.
They don't combine scores achieved at seperate universities. They do combine results from 2 different courses from the same institution.
Where are you getting this information from? It’s not consistent with my understanding of the admissions process. Even when you start a new degree at the same tertiary institution, you get given a new GPA, and this gets passed onto QTAC. I’ve done this myself in the past.

Jnh

Where are you getting this information from?
It's what I was verbally told by QTAC and had confirmed when I got an offer for Griffith dent from 2 semesters of 2 seperate courses at UQ. But that's not to say they won't use individual course results from the same uni as well. QTAC does calculate ranks using different methods and then uses the highest one.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
It's what I was verbally told by QTAC and had confirmed when I got an offer for Griffith dent from 2 semesters of 2 seperate courses at UQ. But that's not to say they won't use individual course results from the same uni as well. QTAC does calculate ranks using different methods and then uses the highest one.
Could this be because you didn’t have 1FTE of study from either course individually, so they combined your results to make you eligible? Or if not, how do you know Griffith didn’t just use the results from the second course to assess your eligibility?

Jnh

Could this be because you didn’t have 1FTE of study from either course individually, so they combined your results to make you eligible? Or if not, how do you know Griffith didn’t just use the results from the second course to assess your eligibility?
Yeah, I guess it's possible that it was only due to them being <1FTE each, or perhaps they only combine where it will benefit the applicant.

nguyea13

Heyy is anyone able to give some insight on 2nd year workload compared to 1st year? I've got 4 subjects accredited for (2 each trimester) in my 1st year so was thinking about doing biochem now and lessening workload for next year. Thanks! :)

hello9898

hey fellow dentistry students at Griffith, do we only enrol in 4 units this trimester. Also do we have trimester 3 or just 2?

ahmeja

Heyy is anyone able to give some insight on 2nd year workload compared to 1st year? I've got 4 subjects accredited for (2 each trimester) in my 1st year so was thinking about doing biochem now and lessening workload for next year. Thanks! :)
This is kind of off topic, but how long did it take for your credit application to be processed?