Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Dentistry: Admissions General Discussion

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Since I’m staring at Griffith dent, wondering what the average Cumulative class gpa is?
I doubt anyone (including the school of dentistry) could give you this information. Is there any particular reason why you want to know? I'd recommend focusing on yourself as opposed to other students' scores.

J

janedoe123

I doubt anyone (including the school of dentistry) could give you this information. Is there any particular reason why you want to know? I'd recommend focusing on yourself as opposed to other students' scores.
Thanks chief

GCDent

Anyone know if we need to buy hard copy textbooks for the pre-clinical science subject especially for laboratory classes or can we use the free electronic versions online?

Friends saw it somewhere I believe. I will be calling them on Monday to ask anyway.
Hi, I called them recently (about 3 weeks ago) and they said it was only based on GPA. Did you manage to call them and ask?
Also, if they say that it's based on GPA now, would there be a chance that they'd change these entry requirements possibly half way through the year?

DDENT

Hi, I called them recently (about 3 weeks ago) and they said it was only based on GPA. Did you manage to call them and ask?
Also, if they say that it's based on GPA now, would there be a chance that they'd change these entry requirements possibly half way through the year?
Ok so the information comes from dentistry friends of mine who are currently studying there. There were told my the professors that they would be changing it and that’s why it is still not officially published.
still unsure whether this will affect the 2021 or 2022 intake

Hey guys I am going to attempt to get a GPA of 7 this year in a new degree, I will be applying for advanced standing in this new degree but will Griffith accept my GPA if say I only do say 6 subjects instead of 8 for the year-does this count as 1FTE. Thank you.

Cal

vibe
Hey guys I am going to attempt to get a GPA of 7 this year in a new degree, I will be applying for advanced standing in this new degree but will Griffith accept my GPA if say I only do say 6 subjects instead of 8 for the year-does this count as 1FTE. Thank you.
You have to do 8 subjects to get 1FTE as long as those subjects are all worth 2 units. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to do them, but 6 isn't enough for 1FTE.

You have to do 8 subjects to get 1FTE as long as those subjects are all worth 2 units. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to do them, but 6 isn't enough for 1FTE.
Thank you for the quick reply. Just to clarify, if you get credit for 2 subjects and do 6 subjects, it still doesnt count as 1FTE?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thank you for the quick reply. Just to clarify, if you get credit for 2 subjects and do 6 subjects, it still doesnt count as 1FTE?
I think that’s a bit unclear but they could possibly use the results from your previous degree to make up the 1FTE necessary (which I’m guessing would drag down your GPA). Probably best to get confirmation from Griffith directly.

I think that’s a bit unclear but they could possibly use the results from your previous degree to make up the 1FTE necessary (which I’m guessing would drag down your GPA). Probably best to get confirmation from Griffith directly.
I apologise for the confusion, I think I dont know how credit transfer works exactly. Do the subjects you got credit for show up on your transcript for that year?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I apologise for the confusion, I think I dont know how credit transfer works exactly. Do the subjects you got credit for show up on your transcript for that year?
They show up on the transcript, yes, but I don’t think they show up for a specific year - at least they didn’t for me at my uni when I had a credit transfer.

hello333

Just under 2 weeks. They even added in subjects I didn't apply for haha
What courses did they add even without the application? Can I ask what degree you applied with for the credit? I applied with my B. Science and some of them are rejected.
and can we do the 2nd year courses in the first year?
Thank you

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
If you've completed/gained transfer credit for the pre-requisites of the second year course(s) (or the second year courses don't have any prerequisites), then yes. Otherwise, no. I'm also not sure whether they limit dent-specific subjects that are meant to be taken in a certain year of the program to students currently in that year of the program.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
A question I received via PM that is better answered on the forum:

Hi Crow,

I was hoping you could help me with this question. With regards to studying Dentistry at Griffith, as a domestic and CSP student, will the final two years of the 5 years of study be Full Fee Paying despite my CSP eligibility? And if so, are there any kinds of student help from the government (apart from centrelink which I'll use for accomodation) or is the $61,500 upfront and unavoidable?
Yes, the final two years are a masters program and are FFP for all students. The costs are about $120k in total (the last time I checked anyway). As a dentistry student, you are eligible for FEE-HELP, and provided you haven’t used FEE-HELP before, you can loan up to 150k - this means that you technically won’t have to pay any of the masters up front if you don’t wish too. However, like HECS, FEE-HELP is also subject to indexation rates, so the amount you eventually need to pay back will very likely exceed the fees of the course.

yesmed

hey guys for first aid training and cpr is anyone know where to get it discounted if you are from the gold coast campus ???

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
hey guys for first aid training and cpr is anyone know where to get it discounted if you are from the gold coast campus ???
Go on the student guild website - from memory they have links to discounted courses on there. Other than that, look on the fit for placement website too.

yesmed

to all the international students.. have you guys got medicare cards - how do you get one? plus has everyone done their forms for placement?

Jnh

to all the international students.. have you guys got medicare cards - how do you get one? plus has everyone done their forms for placement?
You will need to be from one of the 11 countries Australia has a reciprocal healthcare agreement with to enrol in Medicare. If you're not from one of those countries you will need your own private insurance.

nguyea13

What courses did they add even without the application? Can I ask what degree you applied with for the credit? I applied with my B. Science and some of them are rejected.
Thank you
Hey sorry for the late reply! I applied to get credit for 10001MSC and 1014MSC, but they also gave credit to 1005MSC and 1015MSC which was nice. I also applied with B.Sci (only first year tho) at Melbourne Uni, as I did most of the foundation science subjects. Have you sorted everything out since your post? :)