Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Medicine: Elective Options Discussion

Flox

Hi guys,

so I'm studying Bachelor of Medical Science (provisional entry for school leavers) and in a bit of trouble regarding what electives to choose.

I'm considering doing Sociology of Crime (2007CCJ) but I'm unsure whether it'll be too full on. Does anyone have any thoughts about this course or any suggestions for a great elective to do in Trimester 1?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Seeing that no one has replied to you yet, I'll give it a go with some pretty significant caveats!!

1. I studied at UTAS not Griffiths
2. It was many years ago!

However, I did study a first year unit (full semester) titled Crime and Criminal Justice that was an elective for both Sociology and Law (I was enrolled in Law at the time).

It was an incredibly fascinating course, and I found the content very interesting and not particularly complex. The most difficult thing, however, was the relatively subjective nature of the assessment involved. It was predominantly essay writing and I clearly recall grades appearing to be heavily influenced by the views of the lecturer. There was much consternation about this at the time, and people arguing points against the core beliefs of the lecturer appeared to score more poorly and have their essays critiqued more harshly.

Given the nature of the topics covered can be quite divisive, and the essays/exams quite subjective, the assessment process became quite, hmm... controversial.

I don't want to put you off the content AT ALL, because it was excellent, and very eye-opening, and has definitely helped shape my world view in a positive manner.

If possible, I'd have a look at the way the unit is marked and whether there is more than one key teaching/assessment person (this is more likely to be the case at Griffiths than UTAS, where the class size was pretty small).

If it's a topic you're very interested in, go for it :)

lilzab

Hi, I got accepted into the provisional pathway at Gold Coast and am just enrolling now. I understand that I complete 20 credit points worth of electives? Does this mean I have to choose 2 courses from the list of electives (Clinical Microbiology, Histology, Nutrition, Macromolecular, Cellular Biochemistry, First Peoples Health and Practice or Community Internship)? If so, do you have any advice in selecting two (if I have to do so now?) ie, any that you'd particularly recommend or if it has any impact on my later degree? Should I just go with my interests at the moment... is there a lot of value in selecting an internship? Thanks!!

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hi, I got accepted into the provisional pathway at Gold Coast and am just enrolling now. I understand that I complete 20 credit points worth of electives? Does this mean I have to choose 2 courses from the list of electives (Clinical Microbiology, Histology, Nutrition, Macromolecular, Cellular Biochemistry, First Peoples Health and Practice or Community Internship)? If so, do you have any advice in selecting two (if I have to do so now?) ie, any that you'd particularly recommend or if it has any impact on my later degree? Should I just go with my interests at the moment... is there a lot of value in selecting an internship? Thanks!!
Bachelor of Medical Science (1280) You don't need to select a listed elective until trimester 3 (and then again in trimester 1 of year 2). If I were you I'd do pathology techniques in tri 3 (given there's only 3 to pick from) and either nutrition, clinical micro or histology next year (but don't worry about picking these now, you'll figure out what you want to do when you see what things you're most interested in throughout the year). MCB gives me PTSD and I would advise against doing that at all costs ;)

So for provisional entry bachelor of medical science, 240 credits in 5 trimesters total means 48 per trimester.... rounded up to 50 means you do 5 x 10 credit courses each trimester?

A1

Rookie Doc
So for provisional entry bachelor of medical science, 240 credits in 5 trimesters total means 48 per trimester.... rounded up to 50 means you do 5 x 10 credit courses each trimester?

It's 5/5/4/5/5, total 24 course units.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Any specific course suggestions/ criteria I should base my decision on for the free choice elective in the first trimester?
Do something that you’re interested in - you can literally pick anything when it comes to free choice electives! I am assuming they’ve made a change to the course structure recently, as the free choice elective used to happen in second year rather than straight off the bat.

medically brown

Griffith MedSci I / MD
Do something that you’re interested in - you can literally pick anything when it comes to free choice electives! I am assuming they’ve made a change to the course structure recently, as the free choice elective used to happen in second year rather than straight off the bat.
Any specific course suggestions/ criteria I should base my decision on for the free choice elective in the first trimester?
I dont think there is a elective in first trimester because when I did it there were no elective to choose. Also the website says the first elective is in tri 3. OR have i done my time table wrong lol?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 6.09.41 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 6.09.41 pm.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 14

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I dont think there is a elective in first trimester because when I did it there were no elective to choose. Also the website says the first elective is in tri 3. OR have i done my time table wrong lol?
No, you’ve done it right. It appears John has made a mistake of some description.... (though hypothetically one could probably do health law in tri 3 and the elective in tri 1 - but somehow I don’t think that’s what John is aiming for).

ETA: Gold Coast and Nathan students have different course outlines, so Nathan students are to complete their free choice elective in first year whereas GC students complete it in second year.

Last edited:

Estelle

Lurker
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone doing a bachelor of medical science has chosen their free elective? Also if I am correct in having enrolled into 4 courses and a free elective? Thank you

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone doing a bachelor of medical science has chosen their free elective? Also if I am correct in having enrolled into 4 courses and a free elective? Thank you
Are you a Gold Coast student? If so, the free choice elective should be in first trimester of 2nd year according to the course outline: Degrees

So you should be enrolled in ANP1, CTR, Chem, Stats (Introduction to biomedical data analysis) and Legal and ethical principles in health care.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Ok, I see the confusion. The Gold Coast and Nathan students have a different course structure. My apologies to John Johnson and Estelle - if you are both Nathan students, then you’ve done the right thing with four main courses and an elective.

The course outline for Nathan students is accessible here:Degrees

jjjames

Are you a Gold Coast student? If so, the free choice elective should be in first trimester of 2nd year according to the course outline: Degrees

So you should be enrolled in ANP1, CTR, Chem, Stats (Introduction to biomedical data analysis) and Legal and ethical principles in health care.

If I got credit transfer for CTR, do I have to chose an additional course like epidemiology? Or can I just have 4 course for trimester 1? I'm gold coast med sci student btw starting in 2020.
And if I have to choose an extra course, which course should I choose? Thanks in advance.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
If I got credit transfer for CTR, do I have to chose an additional course like epidemiology? Or can I just have 4 course for trimester 1? I'm gold coast med sci student btw starting in 2020.
And if I have to choose an extra course, which course should I choose? Thanks in advance.
No, just do 4 courses :) You could do another course offered in trimester 1 but I don’t see the need to overload yourself in first trimester unnecessarily.

jjjames

No, just do 4 courses :) You could do another course offered in trimester 1 but I don’t see the need to overload yourself in first trimester unnecessarily.

Wow thanks for the quick reply. Also, just another question... The thing is, I applied for credit transfer, but haven't actually got the confirmation yet. Should I still enrol in CTR or not?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Wow thanks for the quick reply. Also, just another question... The thing is, I applied for credit transfer, but haven't actually got the confirmation yet. Should I still enrol in CTR or not?
Yep, enrol just in case. It’s very easy to drop the course once you’ve got the confirmation. Though if you did Griffith Biology, you should have no worries getting the course credited :)

I can’t enrol in Legal and Ethical Principles in Healthcare because all the tutorials are full, and I’m supposed to take this in 1st trimester.... Will they make more spots or will I have to do some other course from the list and hope it’s available next trimester?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I can’t enrol in Legal and Ethical Principles in Healthcare because all the tutorials are full, and I’m supposed to take this in 1st trimester.... Will they make more spots or will I have to do some other course from the list and hope it’s available next trimester?
More spots will open up in the next few weeks. Send an email to Carly Job (the course convenor for Nathan campus) and she can find you a spot: [email protected]