Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Griffith Medicine: Provisional Entry General Discussion

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Because it's not fair to the OZ students who have higher GPA than the Kiwi but get BMP.

What about the Australian grad entry Griffith students who possibly have higher GPAs than their provisional entry counterparts, but may then get pushed to BMP?

ETA: I just say this to highlight that nothing in Med admissions is particularly straightforward and many can argue ‘unfairness’ from multiple directions in a number of instances.

Tomato

Not sure. At a guess it would be because more than 28.5% of place offer recipients fall on the same ATAR and they can’t pick and choose between who gets a BMP and CSP.
Should they use aggregate rather than ATAR?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Should they use aggregate rather than ATAR?
I feel this was discussed elsewhere, but you can’t use aggregate to compare graduates from different states/territories. I don’t even know if the aggregates for QLD graduates are reported at all and can’t speak for other states.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I feel this was discussed elsewhere, but you can’t use aggregate to compare graduates from different states/territories. I don’t even know if the aggregates for QLD graduates are reported at all and can’t speak for other states.

maybe in the UWA thread where there was talk about bonus points or scaling being added before while this happens after in other states? Or something? I have vague memories of it getting heated?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
(And for fear of getting off-topic, I don’t think Griffith should use ATAR only at all - I’d much prefer a combination of interview/written application/UCAT personally)

Tomato

maybe in the UWA thread where there was talk about bonus points or scaling being added before while this happens after in other states? Or something? I have vague memories of it getting heated?
Good memory! A1 explained the bonus points and scaling system in WA to my questions.

A1

Rookie Doc
Aggregates between states are not comparable
Aggregates cannot be used directly due to the states' different formulas. NSW aggr is English + 4 best subjects (i.e. 500 max), Vic 4.4 subjects 220 max, SA 4.5 subjects 90 max, WA best 4 subjects plus 10% loading for Maths & LOTE 420 max etc.

But it's quite possible if the school wanted to. Let's say Griffith wants to rank all the 99.80s from different states, then based on where a student sits in *their state*'s aggregate range for 99.80 split them into 99.80.0 to 99.80.9 and rank with this extra decimal place.

EtA: Regarding whether Griffith can deny a NZ student an MD place due to not making the CSP cutoff GPA, I don't think Griffith can since it's not stated anywhere as conditional in the provisional offers.

Coop

Hi! I'm excited starting the Bachelor of Medical Science at Nathan this coming trimester and was wondering if there was any other existing Griffith students who are able to share their experiences what may be coming (Workload, experiences, etc.), or link an existing thread for the B Med Sci. I'm very keen, and it'd be great to hear it straight from a student themselves, thank you!

Hey
Does anyone know why Griffith isn't doing top up offers this year. I emailed them today and got this reply;

"There have not been and will not be any top up offers made for B Medical Science for T1 2021"

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Hey
Does anyone know why Griffith isn't doing top up offers this year. I emailed them today and got this reply;

"There have not been and will not be any top up offers made for B Medical Science for T1 2021"
They would have met their provisional entry quota with the initial offers made - they deliberately over-offer in anticipation of some applicants declining place offers.

openurice

Is anyone by any chance staying in the Uni Village in Tri 1, 2021? Or in general if any Med Sci students have signed up for O-week events yet? 😇😇

REGULAR JOE

Hi! I'm excited starting the Bachelor of Medical Science at Nathan this coming trimester and was wondering if there was any other existing Griffith students who are able to share their experiences what may be coming (Workload, experiences, etc.), or link an existing thread for the B Med Sci. I'm very keen, and it'd be great to hear it straight from a student themselves, thank you!
Hey,
I'm an existing griffith med sci student. I'm not sure of an existing thread on here, but on the separate allocated orientation day for medical science students there'll be a presentation for you guys by the second year students as well as the course director detailing (almost) everything about the course, and you'll be able to ask questions too. Hope this helps!

Coop

Hey,
I'm an existing griffith med sci student. I'm not sure of an existing thread on here, but on the separate allocated orientation day for medical science students there'll be a presentation for you guys by the second year students as well as the course director detailing (almost) everything about the course, and you'll be able to ask questions too. Hope this helps!
Hi! I didn’t know there was a separate orientation day at all! Do you know when it is? On my orientation itinerary planner, there’s just a bachelor of Medical science welcome which goes for 3 hours in o-week, would it be this?

REGULAR JOE

Hi! I didn’t know there was a separate orientation day at all! Do you know when it is? On my orientation itinerary planner, there’s just a bachelor of Medical science welcome which goes for 3 hours in o-week, would it be this?
Ohh yep sorry that's what I meant. Should be on the 3rd of march

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Does anybody know what's the latest that Top-Up offers can go out from Griffith? 😅
Griffith Med do very few Top Ups at all due to the provisional nature of their course. We’ve already had several people post (weeks ago now) saying GU Admissions had confirmed offers were completed for this year so probably end of Feb, if not before then, for last top ups (if there are any at all).