Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Medsc -i Kiwis

HelloWorld

Faux-American
Griffith Medsci Kiwis

As New Zealand citizens (who are not also australian citizens or permanent residents) are not eligible to RBMS or BMP places, what happens if a new zealand citizen is in the bottom 25% of the medsci cohort?

Are they automatically barred from entering griffith med, or do they just get a CSP (no conditions) place by default?

As a Kiwi in Australia myself, who is interested in Griffith medsci, this is a terrible worry for me!:cry:

Last edited:

Whizz

New Zealanders (like any other student who obtains entry into medsci) are guaranteed a spot in griffith medicine as long as they fulfill the GPA 5.0 requirement and pass the human skills for medicine course. As you pointed out, BMP and MRBS eligibility requires Australian permanent residency or citizenship, so a New Zealander (or international student for that matter) without either of these is therefore guaranteed a CSP.

I'm assuming that if someone had both Australian PR/citizenship as well as NZ/any other citizenship, they would become eligible for a BMP or MRBS, however this situation hasn't arisen before so there is no precedent.

Keep in mind that the lower 25% of GPAs do not automatically obtain a BMP or MRBS, preferences are placed towards the end of second year medsci and as far as I know for this years yr 1 MBBS cohort, the MRBS places were obtained by people who listed it as their first preference.

Last edited:

HelloWorld

Faux-American
New Zealanders (like any other student who obtains entry into medsci) are guaranteed a spot in griffith medicine as long as they fulfill the GPA 5.0 requirement and pass the human skills for medicine course.

Thankyou for your reply, Whizz. I am much calmer now.:lol:

Do you know of any kiwis who finished medsci last year who got less than a GPA of 6?

[OFFTOPIC]I'm pretty sure that only Aussie Citizens, Aussie permanent residents, and Kiwi citizens are eligible for CSPs. The perks of being a kiwi:lol: citizen in australia compared to a being just a Taiwanese citizen in australia. Unfortunately, very little social security(n)[/OFFTOPIC]

Last edited:

Whizz

Unfortunately I don't any reliable information on the individual GPAs of those who finished medsci last year.

[OFFTOPIC]Just a point of clarification, strictly speaking, the term CSP is often misued. A CSP is merely a spot that is subsidised by the governement, that is, it is not a FFP (FFPs are only available to international students i.e. those without Australian citizenship, permanent residency or NZ citizenship, and internationals students are not eligible for CSPs). Therefore there are actually three types of CSPs 1. unencumbered CSP (often referred to as unbonded spots or incorrectly as 'CSP' spots), 2. BMP and 3. MRBS. As such only Australian citizens, permanent residents and NZ citizens are eligible for unencumbered CSPs, however only Australian citizens and permanent residents are eligible for BMP and MRBS CSP spots. Bit pedantic but this is how they are listed on preference lists to prevent confusion between FFPs and BMPs/MRBS.
[/OFFTOPIC]

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads