Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Griffith Oral Health in Dental Science Class of 2017 Roll Call

zaid101

don't live in southport, they are moving the dentistry (and medical) campus to griffith university hospital in semester 2.
I know a couple of mbbs friends looking for a 3rd roomate: if you're keen, email me at zaid16994[MENTION=315]hot[/MENTION]mail.com for details, it's probs better than living and griffith uni village.
it's just a 3 minutes bus ride to uni and very close to shops and stuff

I have a question but I'm doing Medical Science (Provisional). I have one 1016MSC 'Practicum' class at GH1. Does anyone know if that will be moved to on-campus in Semester 2?

zaid101

all courses from the griffith school of medicine basically do the same foundation year.
ALL courses held in GH1 in sem1 will be moved from Southport to Griffith Hospital.
The campus itself changed location ~ not course specific

soup

all courses from the griffith school of medicine basically do the same foundation year.
ALL courses held in GH1 in sem1 will be moved from Southport to Griffith Hospital.
The campus itself changed location ~ not course specific
Wait what. I thought the GH1 courses are held at Southport in sem 1, This will then be held at Griffith Hospital from sem 2.
Can someone clarify this?

UAV

Wait what. I thought the GH1 courses are held at Southport in sem 1, This will then be held at Griffith Hospital from sem 2.
Can someone clarify this?
From what people have said here (Except Zaid101) the move occurs for semester 2, whereas Semester 1 is at South Port (For the DOH subjects).

So it seems like what zaid101 is saying is that in Semester 2, all dent and med courses will be moved to Griffith Hospital from Southport campus.

While others are saying only the courses at GH1 in Semester 1 are moved to Griffith Hospital in Semester 2.

UAV

So it seems like what zaid101 is saying is that in Semester 2, all dent and med courses will be moved to Griffith Hospital from Southport campus.

While others are saying only the courses at GH1 in Semester 1 are moved to Griffith Hospital in Semester 2.
The department building where the majority of Dental related subjects (DOH) occur is currently in Southport. In Semester 2, 2013 it will be located on the main campus.

This is what I have gathered from talking to people and what most have said here.

zaid101

Woops, misunderstanding.
GH1 building stands for griffith hospital. Currently, the GH1 campus is located in Southport Hospital. In semester 2, GH1 will be moved to the new griffith university hospital along with its new medicine and oral health building on griffith campus.

Basically in year 1 dentistry, you won't be doing many subjects in GH1 anyway. Once your in year 2 and onwards, you will basically live in GH1.

Hope that clarifies things. :)

blvc33

Hi, is Griffith much better than JCU?
Can someone pls explain to me in term of 1)living condition 2)quality of education plus other aspects not mentioned

I am a bit paranoid here because I just changed my first preference to JCU over Griffith, even though I got a Griffith offer.

So someone please answer me before 7th Feb, the second offer round. So that I have time to change it back, if I change my mind again.

Inputs from as many people as possible is greatly appreciated here!

Thanks!

zaid101

Hi, is Griffith much better than JCU?
Can someone pls explain to me in term of 1)living condition 2)quality of education plus other aspects not mentioned

I am a bit paranoid here because I just changed my first preference to JCU over Griffith, even though I got a Griffith offer.

So someone please answer me before 7th Feb, the second offer round. So that I have time to change it back, if I change my mind again.

Inputs from as many people as possible is greatly appreciated here!

Thanks!

I know for a fact that JCU have taken some Griffith University Medical lecturers and Bond University have taken some JCU medical lecturers. It clearly indicates that all these unis have strong medical degrees. I can vouch for griffith medicine as I studied biomed there for a year before transferring to dentistry. And I can vouch for Bond because my brother studies medicine there. So basically, both JCU and griffith are great universities for dentistry/medicine.
In terms of living, i personally chose griffith over JCU myself because of the heat in JCU and the fact that it's in the middle of nowhere.
Hope that helps :)

At the current GU Dent students! Would you recommend having a car for transport? probably going to stay in Labrador near broadwater. Going from the GH1 to the parklands drive campus is quite far, so a car would be nice to have?

Khorne

At the current GU Dent students! Would you recommend having a car for transport? probably going to stay in Labrador near broadwater. Going from the GH1 to the parklands drive campus is quite far, so a car would be nice to have?

Goodluck with the parking

l2009

Yeah, finding parking will probably be tough. It's always nice to have a car to get around other places though ...

Hi there, how necessary is it for international students to attend the orientation day on the 18th, does anyone know about switching from international to domestic upon change in residency status(gain of Australian or NZ citizenship) throughout the course, and when do you need to worry about the pre replacement forms etcc?
sorry my post probably reflects how lost I am at the moment,but please HELP!!!

Hello everyone! I am interested in studying dent at GU next year and have already completed a BSc. I have looked at some of the units in first year and they are very similar to the units i completed in my science degree. I read somewhere that griffith dent does give credit for up to 60 points. If this is true can these points be redeemed on second year units too? and how would they effect your gpa after you graduate? would you just be given a pass for that unit ?

Sony

Hello everyone! I am interested in studying dent at GU next year and have already completed a BSc. I have looked at some of the units in first year and they are very similar to the units i completed in my science degree. I read somewhere that griffith dent does give credit for up to 60 points. If this is true can these points be redeemed on second year units too? and how would they effect your gpa after you graduate? would you just be given a pass for that unit ?

Hey Missuniverse,
You can get credit for some second year subjects, as long as they don't have a 'doh' code. So you can apply for credit for biochemistry in semester 1 of second year and you might be able to apply for credit for microbiology in semester 2 of second year (however, microbio does become specific for dent students, and not many students were allowed to get credit for this.)
Not too sure about how this affects your gpa, your best bet is to call the university and ask them.
Good luck with dent next year! :)