• ALL USERS: please familiarise yourself with the MSO Forum Rules (updated 03/08/20).
  • When interviews and offers are released, you can rest assured posts will appear at MSO. Repeatedly asking 'have interview invites been released yet' won't make it happen any faster and such posts will be deleted.
  • UCAT PREP COMPANY DISCUSSION: Site administrators have implemented a rule that states there is to be NO mention of UCAT prep companies. This includes discussion, recommendations, questions, and reviews, and extends to allusions, acronyms, and other other attempts to get around the rule. Offending content will be deleted. Repeat offenders will be warned and may be banned.

Griffith Griffith Provisional Med General Discussion

Di-anna

Hello everyone just wanted to add this regarding Griffith offers. Griffith had 433 applicants for Medical Science provisional entry Doctor of Medicine. Of those 433 surely there were more than 30 applicants with the same ATAR? I got an OP 1 did Griffth Chemistry in Years 11 and 12, along with participating competing in most of Griffiths STEM competitions schooled on the Gold Coast got DUX and I still didn’t receive an offer after having Griffth 1st-3rd preferences on my QTAC application! GRIFFTH YOU SUCK!

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UpTheGunners

Griffith BMedSci II
Hello everyone just wanted to add this regarding Griffith offers. Griffith had 433 applicants for Medical Science provisional entry Doctor of Medicine. Of those 433 surely there were more than 30 applicants with the same ATAR? I got an OP 1 did Griffth Chemistry in Years 11 and 12, along with participating competing in most of Griffiths STEM competitions schooled on the Gold Coast got DUX and I still didn’t receive an offer after having Griffth 1st-3rd preferences on my QTAC application! GRIFFTH YOU SUCK!
Unfortunately for the Griffith program, all extra-curricular exams, activities, subjects outside the QCE curriculum (only your top 5 school subjects, your SAIs in the subjects and the subject QCS grades are considered) are irrelevant. Instead your OP1 is converted to a fine-grained ATAR percentile between 99-99.95 with 0.05 difference per band. Since the ATAR cutoff this year for Griffith was 99.70, only the top 30% of OP1s were accepted. Likely in the cohort, all students would be dux or 2nd in their cohort which would have yielded this high an ATAR.

Di-anna

Unfortunately for the Griffith program, all extra-curricular exams, activities, subjects outside the QCE curriculum (only your top 5 school subjects, your SAIs in the subjects and the subject QCS grades are considered) are irrelevant. Instead your OP1 is converted to a fine-grained ATAR percentile between 99-99.95 with 0.05 difference per band. Since the ATAR cutoff this year for Griffith was 99.70, only the top 30% of OP1s were accepted. Likely in the cohort, all students would be dux or 2nd in their cohort which would have yielded this high an ATAR.
Yes I am aware of that but there were more than 30 ATAR’s of 99.70 and above, so what’s the selection process?

UpTheGunners

Griffith BMedSci II
Yes I am aware of that but there were more than 30 ATAR’s of 99.70 and above, so what’s the selection process?
Historically they then go to field positions, I got all 1’s that I was eligible for so likely that’s what they would look at next. I know they specifically favour FPs C and D since these relate to the sciences.

Crow

Staff
Di-anna - an OP1 can range from an ATAR of 99.0-99.95. Most OP1s therefore will not have an ATAR high enough to get into Griffith’s provisional entry program. Given that you didn’t get an offer this would suggest to me that your OP1 is equivalent to an ATAR below 99.7.

UpTheGunners - field positions are specific to QLD students. My understanding is that they therefore cannot be used to distinguish between QLD and interstate students. Yes, they are used to distinguish QLD applicants with the same OP in certain courses, but for highly competitive courses like Griffith med/dent, ATAR is the sole determining factor.

I don’t believe Griffith picks and chooses between applicants with a 99.7 ATAR (the Nathan cutoff in this specific admissions round) - you either meet the cutoff and receive a place offer or you don’t.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Do we think that the UQ/Griffith/USC cutoffs will drop by any significant margin considering that the queensland y12 cohort is apparently 1/2 the size it usually is?

Lyyrre

Griffith MedSci II
Do we think that the UQ/Griffith/USC cutoffs will drop by any significant margin considering that the queensland y12 cohort is apparently 1/2 the size it usually is?
It is certainly possible. For Griffith GC, 70% of the cohort are interstate so the impact might not be as big. For Griffith Nathan, I do believe most of the cohort are locals from Brisbane, so things might change there.

LMG!

Staff Member of the Year 2019
What has brought about the cohort change? That's quite substantial!

A1

Admissions Speculator
It is certainly possible. For Griffith GC, 70% of the cohort are interstate so the impact might not be as big. For Griffith Nathan, I do believe most of the cohort are locals from Brisbane, so things might change there.
I don't think it will change much, 0.05 lower at most. Applicants who put in GC will 100% put Nathan in the prefs as well. If Nathan's drops more the next highest GC applicants will flow over to Nathan and equalise the cutoffs.

strongman

I don't think it will change much, 0.05 lower at most. Applicants who put in GC will 100% put Nathan in the prefs as well. If Nathan's drops more the next highest GC applicants will flow over to Nathan and equalise the cutoffs.
Hasn’t Nathan usually had lower cut offs than GC, wouldn’t it then drop further away from GC?

A1

Admissions Speculator
Hasn’t Nathan usually had lower cut offs than GC, wouldn’t it then drop further away from GC?
Theoretically there should be no more than 0.05 difference between GC & Nathan. They are offering just 30-40 places at each campus, say the cutoff at GC is 99.80 then all the 99.75s at GC will spill over to Nathan (since Nathan is in their prefs too). I doubt there are so many Nathan places left that can take in all the GC's 99.75s and 99.70s.

The 99.70s that we heard of, were either several years back when the cutoff wasn't as high or they were late top-ups that Griffith gave to a few locals. At that stage they are unlikely to call interstate 99.70s to come over a few days before the semester starts.

Crow

Staff
or they were late top-ups that Griffith gave to a few locals.
I know you’ve theorised this before but have you ever had any evidence that they do that? I’m yet to see an interstate student miss out on an offer with the same ATAR as a local student who landed an offer.

Lyyrre

Griffith MedSci II
AFAIK Griffith last year didn’t even have top ups. Regardless of interstate or local, the cutoff was 99.75 GC, 99.70 Nathan, 99.55 USC. These were set in round 1 and never budged from there.

However, I do remember for 2017 Griffith GC cutoff indicated 99.80, but there were some interstate students below that ATAR that did get offers (not sure if top up or not).

A1

Admissions Speculator
Regardless of interstate or local, the cutoff was 99.75 GC, 99.70 Nathan
This more/less comfirms my theory there should be no more than 0.05 difference between GC & Nathan.

The 99.70 top-ups I mentioned were in reference to an earlier year when GC was 99.80 Nathan 99.75 yet we kept hearing *some* with 99.70 did get an offer.

I know you’ve theorised this before but have you ever had any evidence that they do that? I’m yet to see an interstate student miss out on an offer with the same ATAR as a local student who landed an offer.
I have no evidence for Nathan but let me use SCU to illustrate. We knew throughout that SCU cutoff last year was 99.60, there was even a post mentioning a SCU official saying there may be top-up offers but it wouldn't drop below 99.60 (remember that post?).

Yet on 15-Feb this applicant posted up this SCU offer with 99.55 > Med and Dent - 2019 Entry (Offers and Discussion)

I am not convinced that in February SCU still had enough places to offer to all 99.55 applicants countrywide. Which means there must be 99.55s who missed out.

Crow

Staff
This more/less comfirms my theory there should be no more than 0.05 difference between GC & Nathan.

The 99.70 top-ups I mentioned were in reference to an earlier year when GC was 99.80 Nathan 99.75 yet we kept hearing *some* with 99.70 did get an offer.

I have no evidence for Nathan but let me use SCU to illustrate. We knew throughout that SCU cutoff last year was 99.60, there was even a post mentioning a SCU official saying there may be top-up offers but it wouldn't drop below 99.60 (remember that post?).

Yet on 15-Feb this applicant posted up this SCU offer with 99.55 > Med and Dent - 2019 Entry (Offers and Discussion)

I am not convinced that in February SCU still had enough places to offer to all 99.55 applicants countrywide. Which means there must be 99.55s who missed out.
Haha, not doubting you not being convinced, but that isn’t really evidence of anything ;)